Thread: Salcha River Report

Default Salcha River Report

As of this evening 24 Bou's, counting mine, have come from Zone 2. ADF&G updated the web site yesterday. I ran up 75 miles from the bridge and shot the only one I saw in three days about 57 miles upriver on my way home this morning. I passed about 50 boats going up Saturday and can't believe how many cabins have been added in the last 5 years. The water level was decent, but the river traffic was horrendous. The good news is that the velvet is coming off so the racks should start shining a bit. The log jam is tricky but can be negotiated. Unless you can portage your boat, the water runs out about 75 straight line miles from the ramp. I did get hung up by taking the wrong turn that cost me three hours coming home, and used every bit of the 50 gallons of fuel I had, but it was a good trip.

For the moose hunters, I saw a few tracks, and one bull about 40" with two tines. There were more bear and wolf tracks on the gravel bars than any other tracks. I imagine they are keeping everything else pushed up higher, so make sure you have your bear tag. I also saw a large group of grouse, and that was big fun for my pup. I left an anchor and a rope up there somewhere below where I took the bou. If you find it you can have it and just so you know what to look for it's a black anchor on about 3' of chain and 25' of green 7/8" rope with an aluminum snap link on the end.

Good luck to anyone heading up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    As of this evening 24 Bou's, counting mine, have come from Zone 2. ADF&G updated the web site yesterday. I ran up 75 miles from the bridge and shot the only one I saw in three days about 57 miles upriver on my way home this morning. I passed about 50 boats going up Saturday and can't believe how many cabins have been added in the last 5 years. The water level was decent, but the river traffic was horrendous. The good news is that the velvet is coming off so the racks should start shining a bit. The log jam is tricky but can be negotiated. Unless you can portage your boat, the water runs out about 75 straight line miles from the ramp. I did get hung up by taking the wrong turn that cost me three hours coming home, and used every bit of the 50 gallons of fuel I had, but it was a good trip.

For the moose hunters, I saw a few tracks, and one bull about 40" with two tines. There were more bear and wolf tracks on the gravel bars than any other tracks. I imagine they are keeping everything else pushed up higher, so make sure you have your bear tag. I also saw a large group of grouse, and that was big fun for my pup. I left an anchor and a rope up there somewhere below where I took the bou. If you find it you can have it and just so you know what to look for it's a black anchor on about 3' of chain and 25' of green 7/8" rope with an aluminum snap link on the end.

Good luck to anyone heading up there.

Was up there Sunday.Bring hole repair stuff. Talked with a group of three hunters fixing holes in their boat. Take extra gear, you may have to stay longer then expected.

The Salcha is packed during Moose season--Boats everywhere, lots of folks have been setting up their Moose camps the past 2 weeks.