Thread: Spotting Scopes advice

Default Spotting Scopes advice

I am in the market for high end spotting scope. I have looked at both Zeiss and Swarovski (20-60 power). I am still debating about getting a angled or straight body. I am interested in getting some seasoned veterans opinions before making a major purchase.

Thanks in advance.

Default Leica

I picked one up from Doug at Cameraland this summer and used it on my sheep hunt. The optics were simply incredible. It was the televid 62. Got a great deal on it and will "never" go back to questionable optics.

I got a Zeiss Diascope with 20-60 eyepiece about three years ago. Amazing scope. I got the straight model. Since I use mine for digi-scoping, the angled might have been easier for me since you focus by looking at the lcd on the camera screen. But for using at the rifle range, the straight tube works perfectly. If hunting, I suspect either would work fine. Just depends on you usage. Give some thought to the position you will be in when viewing it. Will you be on the ground, or standing? Will you have a nice sturdy tripod to go with it? If so, how tall will the tripod adjust to? The tripod/head is an important consideration. Bogen/Manfrotto makes some very nice ones. PM if you want any thoughts on the tripod/head.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Thanks,

I am planning to use it for hunting mostly and some rifle range as a secondary usage.

Below is a link to my suggestion. It is a Bogen 190XWNB (Wilderness Model) tripod with 3130 Micro Fluid head (for smooth panning). This tripod has spike feet for sturdy placement in all terrain. At high magnifications, these features will be most helpful. I have the identical head on a older model Bogen tripod that is basically identical. The quick release plate stays on the scope and allows you to pop the scope on and off the tripod. A very handy feature. This is a very sturdy set up. Hang a bag on the center column for added stability in windy conditions. A counter weight if you will. This set up only weighs 6 lbs. Anything lighter and you will not be able to reap all the benefits of such a nice piece of glass. You will want a sturdy tripod. Below is a link.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ipod_Legs.html
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Thanks for the link

I just bought the Swaro 20-60 with angled eye piece and am more than happy with it. I had been using a Nikon before and it like night and day between the two of them. I really enjoy having the angled eye piece, sure keeps me from getting a kink in my neck!

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I just bought the Swaro 20-60 with angled eye piece and am more than happy with it. I had been using a Nikon before and it like night and day between the two of them. I really enjoy having the angled eye piece, sure keeps me from getting a kink in my neck!
    Hey, did you buy those with Mrs. Bronco's PFD?

Default Maybe this could pursuade your decision: 65 power Zeiss diascope

Smile

Very nice! That's why we buy good glass

Wow... that is a nice picture there.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Hey, did you buy those with Mrs. Bronco's PFD?

At the time I did not think about it but she did put the spotter on her own credit card.