Thread: Big Game hunting with SHTF AR 15

Default Big Game hunting with SHTF AR 15

Why hunt with a SHTF AR15? Its simple, they are tough buggers, easy to shoot, easy to clean, very accurate and versatile. Whats the down side? They are expensive….compared to your average hunting rifle….and some of the attitudes exhibited by other ignorant hunters.

The two AR 15’s I normally hunt with the past few years are a 6.5 Grendel and a 50 Beowulf. I use to hunt with an AR 10 .308 cal, but the two mentioned above are lighter and more reliable. The 6.5 is a 300/350 yard Caribou gun and the 50 is a 200/225 yard moose/bear gun.

This year for caribou, I have decided to use my current SHTF gun. It is a LWRC M6A2 with 16” bbl chambered 5.56. http://shop.lwrifles.com/product.sc?...&productId=145 It is my work gun and my “GO TOO” gun. I bought this gun 1 ½ years ago to replace a colt (6920) I was previously using. It sports a Trijicon ACOG 4X TA31 ECOS. I also have a quick detach bipod which is great while sitting from strategic locations. It comes off in 2 seconds for the hiking trips. I also have a quick detach flashlight laser M6X which goes on the weapon at night for the 4 legged teeth & claws. A quick detach system for the sling which is a V-TAC two point. Slings are great but sometimes are a pain so I like the QD option.

I had Bill at Pro Tec in Fairbanks set this gun up identical to a demo he has there…in case you would like to see one up close.

The bullet Barnes 70gr TSX
    OAL 2.245
    Benchmark
    Winchester brass, New
    Fed 205M
    Velocity-20 shot average 2791
    5 10 shot groups Best 1.25 worst 1.95 @ 100yards

OK, is 223 to light for Bou? I don’t think so, especially if you keep the range inside 200 yards. The Bou (average bull) I killed last week lasered at 216 yards, the bou was quartered away to the left. One shot. The the bullet hit the 2nd left rib from the back then traveled thought the upper part of the heart, clipped a lung then exited out the right front just missing the ribs and right leg. The bou dropped within 10 feet of where shot.

I was surprised by the penetration of this bullet (even on this thin skinned animal). My ballistic charts say the bullet is traveling 2180fps with 735 ft lbs upon impact at 200yds. But to hit a rib, stay intact while opening up and then completely exit was quite interesting.

One thing I learned about my rifle is that it will shoot the BlackHills 77 gr Match king bullets identical points of impact as my hunting bullet out to 300. The BH 77gr shoots a lot tighter groups then the TSX. Good stuff to know about ones rifle.

I was happy with the results so far. Then again the right bullet for the mission plus shot placement will always work in ones favor.

I’ll just have to shoot a few more tasty fury animals to determine if this was a fluke. I have a feeling the results will be the same. YUM,YUM

If that's what you need to be successful........whatever makes you happy
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Nice write up on your rifle and 'bou. Yes I'd say that's a fine set up. What I like best is the way you have learned what you need to know about your rifle, its trajectory and how to shoot it. The Black Hills stuff and the 70 TSX to the same POI is really nice. I do that with different rifles, it doesn't always work so well. I'm waiting on Bill to get one of A/A's 19.5" hunter models in for me. I really like that rifle. The Grendel is a lovely little round. I necked the PPC up to 6.5 back about 1990 for a handgun then rebarreled a Sako A-I for it later.

I do like the AR platform for a hunter, but you do run into many Zumbo types.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Must be geting old, I don't know what all the letters mean for the rifle . Also not to be a wise guy , but what is a zumbo?
    Does sound like he get's the job done right though. Much better than a couple of Texans that took two shots ea. W/ 338's, 30 yards, open ground to drop two Caribou. Then one asked what he should do because one was tring to get up!

Will the 1-9 twist stabalize the 70 tsx and 77 matchking or do you need a 1-8 or 1-7 barrel? I just picked up a rock river lower yesterday and am in the market for either and a2 or a3 upper. There are so many choices and vendors it's tough to choose!

Default Big Game hunting with SHTF AR 15

Wouldn't be my first choice for Alaskan hunting....but beauty is as beauty does....and you still have 19 in the mag if the first 70 gr bullet finds you in need of a back up shot for the bear on your 'bou.

Murpy,
    Was at Bill's shop last night he has a AA 6.5 hunter 19.5" hanging on the wall.

Hard to tell a Zumbo--they pack all sorts of weapons, ran into one the other day sporting a Win 94---He was an idiot.

Paul H,
    You'll need min of 1-8 twist for the 70gr TSX, my RRA 1-8 shoots them just fine, but the 1-7 lwrc seems to be a bit tighter.

shphtr,
    The mag capacity always comes up. I gotta tell ya though it only takes one. The extra are there only so I have to manipulate the gun less, plus they store in the perfect spot instead of floating around in pockets or packs. They do make 5 & 10 round mags.

I do not load the TSX more then once into the chamber for serious work (They become practice ammo). The nose take a beating going up the feed ramp, one of the reasons the hollow points don't shoot as well out of these types of guns. For ultimate accuracy a tipped bullet or FMJ seems to shoot the best.

Learn to shoot your rifle well, even a .223 and it gets the job done.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default Nice post, LWRC question

I think a well placed heavier grain 223 will work fine for bou.

My question, sort of on thread.

I've been podering hard for a few months now about which Black Rifle to get for a katrina / SHTF rifle. After all my research I've settled on either the LWRC M6A2
    http://www.lwrifles.com/

or the Robinson Arms XCR
    http://www.robarm.com/

How well does that piston gas ejection system work on that LWRC. Does it seem pretty durable? What do you think about the SCAR and do you think it will be available to civilians before a potential Nobama gets into office? http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/fi...022&gid=FNG007

Anyway mainly asking how well you like the LWRC and if it's worth the money.

Overall, I think using the AR platform for hunting is going to become more and more common.

Quote Originally Posted by AKF View Post
    I think a well placed heavier grain 223 will work fine for bou.

My question, sort of on thread.

I've been podering hard for a few months now about which Black Rifle to get for a katrina / SHTF rifle. After all my research I've settled on either the LWRC M6A2
    http://www.lwrifles.com/

or the Robinson Arms XCR
    http://www.robarm.com/

How well does that piston gas ejection system work on that LWRC. Does it seem pretty durable? What do you think about the SCAR and do you think it will be available to civilians before a potential Nobama gets into office? http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/fi...022&gid=FNG007

Anyway mainly asking how well you like the LWRC and if it's worth the money.

Overall, I think using the AR platform for hunting is going to become more and more common.
    I have put several thousand of rounds though the POF and the LWRC. Also have a few hundred though the Sig 556 and Robinson XCR.

The LWRC (at least mine) shoots the tightest of all of them. The LWRC piston is simple, effective and easy to access. Just put a decent trigger in it and you'll have no regrets.

The POF did not shoot well and I had to send it back once. The Sig 556 is not near as user friendly and I wasn't impressed.

The XCR shot good but I have no opinon on it due to lack of personal use. I ordered one but haven't recieved it yet so I'll hold judgement for later.

Good thread guys.
    I picked up a Wilson Combat a year ago and am very impresed with it.
    Shoots great and have had no malfuntions so far...even when the action is a little dry of oil.
    They like to be lubed...very lubed.
    That Wilson is very tight toleranced so not ther best for out in the field.
    But have had no troubles.

The trick for a small caliber firearm is to know your rifle, know your limits and use a tough bullet. The .224 carries a remarkable velocity out to the beyond, so the choice of the Barnes is perfect. Those long little pills do penetrate.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...