Thread: Shipping guns to Hawaii....

Default Shipping guns to Hawaii....

My family and I recently moved to Hawaii--and I was wondering about shipping my guns here. There was recently a thread on here about shipping/mailing guns--and it stated that you can mail them to yourself, legaly,depending on the state. Most of my guns are at my parent's home for safe keeping now-- and I was thinking that when I go back to visit,maybe I could mail some of 'em here Maybe the fact that they would need to be flown here--not ground transported,would complicate things(?) I know when I checked one as baggage on a flight one time,it needed to be in a locked case. How would I find out about the legality of mailing them to myself,in Hawaii specifically? And if it's possible,would they need to be in locked cases/containers? Any info would be appreciated--thanks.

I just moved here too. I had mine shipped with my stuff but here is a link on what you need to do. Be aware that this place has CRAZY gun laws and you need to regerister ALL firearms. I left most of my guns with my folks for that reason. The hunting posibilitys out here arn't too bad. I'm in Hilo on the Big Island if you need any more info let me know. (but i'm new here)
    Good luck,
    http://hawaiirifleassociation.org/in...d=42&Itemid=47

No problem with shipping to yourself or bringing with you in your luggage. I believe the law allows 72 hours? to register in state at the local police department in your area (to account for long weekends). Be aware that no magazines over 10 rounds for pistols will be allowed. They'll be confiscated at time of registration. If you hide them and are caught with them later on, then you face criminal penalty. "Assault pistols" by state definition are still not allowed. Obvious examples are Tec-9s, Mac 10s, H&K SP89s, but longer than factory barrelled Desert Eagles may fit the criteria along with the Wildey pistols. Bolt action rifles should be no problem at all.
    Just take them to the Police firearms section and let them know you just moved here and would like to register your guns. PM if you have specific questions and I'll try and get you the correct answers.

Default Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info guys. I'm on Oahu--not too far from Koko Head shooting range I'll probably at least bring out a rimfire rifle,for fun shooting and to keep in practice for out of state hunts--and a shotgun for a little skeet shooting. Not too sure of the hunting out here.... to me,goats and pigs are farm animals-- I had heard of the registration process--sounds fairly painless--we'll see. Thanks again.

Default Farm animals

If you think wild goats and pigs are farm animals, you never hunted them, especially in rugged terrain or with long knives.

don't forget the scattergun for turkeys and upland birds. I don't know if your island has them but a flight to the big island is only $100.
    Moving sucks, good luck
    and look me up if you need anything.

Quote Originally Posted by sneakboxer View Post
    don't forget the scattergun for turkeys and upland birds. I don't know if your island has them but a flight to the big island is only $100.
    Moving sucks, good luck
    and look me up if you need anything.
    Thanks guys! Yeah--I read about turkey hunting on the Big Island And I agree--moving sucks....unless it's to Hawaii--Heheh It sucked leaving my guns behind though,even if only temporarily. I think an added bonus of living out here will be the opportunity to shoot year round.....I didn't feel much like shooting back home when it got down to 20 or 30 below zero! Someone mentioned the pigs and goats--no,I never have hunted them-- but I saw a huge boar in the mountains on the Big Island while vacationing one time--and I know a pig over an open fire--or in an Imu,is delicious! So far my biggest game has been bear....but I'm wondering if I can top that some day with a big Blue Marlin....haven't been yet,but I can't wait! Thanks again for all your input.