Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how many no shooter moose, before a shooter

Default how many no shooter moose, before a shooter

so far i have seen 11 moose while hunting, one was legal but didn't have a an good shot on him. just curious what an average number of moose that people see before they shoot.

happy hunting!

I saw 8 the first day I went out this year. Not a single bull among them, though I did find a carcass of one that had been killed on opening day of the archery season. I generally hunt off of the road on short (weekend) hunts, so I see LOTS of moose for every legal one that I come across. I'd say I see at least 20+ moose for every legal bull, though I don't think my stats are representative of the state as a whole.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I saw 8 the first day I went out this year. Not a single bull among them, though I did find a carcass of one that had been killed on opening day of the archery season. I generally hunt off of the road on short (weekend) hunts, so I see LOTS of moose for every legal one that I come across. I'd say I see at least 20+ moose for every legal bull, though I don't think my stats are representative of the state as a whole.

have to concure with brian.. I see at least that many before i see one i can shoot...

Hunted 3 days. Opener first thing in the A.M. small bull and a fork chasing a cow, did not shoot being opener and all let it walk. Day 2, nice bull with 2 cows but only 2 brow tines on both sides, looked for the longest but he would not grow a third no matter how hard I looked. He was probably over 50" very cool rack, had a drop tine off his main palm, but just not sure enough to shoot, he walked. Day 3 saw the cow first, then the small bull, but sure enough he had 3 brow tines on one side. That was all she wrote.

Haven't been out yet this year, but last year.... we estimated about 30 different bulls that we saw in a span of 8 days. Not one legal bull among them. If you include cows.....I don't even want to guess how many different moose we saw. It was depressing!

Have no clue on No.'s. I once went three years without catching a bull. We hunted quite a bit, probably missed only four days, after work and on weekends during those Septembers. We saw lots of cows and calfs and heard some bulls that we couldn't pursuade to come and check us out.

Last year though the first one we saw on opening day was a bull still in velvet and nice and young and tender.
    Last edited by moose fat; 08-26-2008 at 00:30. Reason: spelling

The only time I actually counted, we saw 95 moose and not one legal bull. I think we were out about 2 weeks that time.

We are at 4 cows and 3 bulls so far. 1 legal frokie that gave us the slip yesterday yesterday just after I decided he was a shooter. I had a staring contest with a 40"+ for 45 minutes starting at 40 yards and he slowly ambled off like he had read the regulations. Those zeiss and minox optics are great but even with the high dollar price tag they won't grow brow tines!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I had a staring contest with a 40"+ for 45 minutes starting at 40 yards and he slowly ambled off like he had read the regulations.
    I had one of those staring contests with a bull that was at least 45" from 30 yards a couple of years ago. I don't think I ever seen a more relaxed moose in my life. It was truly amazing how long I convinced myself to sit there and stare, certain that if he turned his head just the right direction that another brow tine would magically appear.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I had one of those staring contests with a bull that was at least 45" from 30 yards a couple of years ago. I don't think I ever seen a more relaxed moose in my life.
    Maybe he knew the shooter?
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

I've seen around 25 or 26 moose so far. 4 Legal, two were killed (one by our group and one by another group). At least half of the moose we have seen if not more have been bulls.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    Maybe he knew the shooter?
    I don't know I will have to check the 2008 photo album, but rumor has it that a safe place for a legal bull is 50 yards off the end of your barrel...

so now i'm up to 15 moose, 5 black bears, and 20+ goats. man i'm starting to get frustrated. i sure would like to find one little bitty spike fork before the 20th!

I killed one in 2003 and the one this year and in the years between 2003 and this year I saw probably 60 non-legal bulls.

Default I saw one spike

A couple cows and one young spike that stared at me on the side of the elliot highway I don't think he'll live long this year, he was way too content on the side of the highway. I didn't take him because I was on my way to get my tag that i forgot to pick up on my duck hunting trip

I haven't seen one **** moose this year as a whole. You want to talk about being frustrated?
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Three legal moose so far but I wouldn't shoot em.

I saw one 64" moose with 45+" length palms and six browtines on each side but you would have to pack it because it was in a walkin only area 7 miles from the road.

I saw another mulligan that was 2 miles further in. That means it was 9 miles from the road.

The third legal bull was a 55+" that was in somebody's front yard in Delta. They had a no trespassing sign so I don't know if they eventually killed it but it looked like he knew he was pretty safe. It is in this situation that you might get into trouble so I passed him as well.

sincerely,

Thomas

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    I haven't seen one **** moose this year as a whole. You want to talk about being frustrated?

YOU do live in Alaska? i cant imagine going a whole year with out seeing one......come on up, there are 4 cows in my yard each eveing...maybe get that jinx broke..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I haven't seen a moose in like 6 months. But I'm gonna try like a son of a gun when I get a few off days. Good ole department of Fumble & Guess felt the need as of last year to cut our season short 10 days. Guess they'd rather see them get hit on the highway and seen by a few tourists than end up in some dudes freezer.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default just my thoughts

When I worked for George Palmer of Alaska Trophy hunts, every bull but one was legal! My first year hunting solo all I saw were cows/calves and 4 wheelers with lazy hunters--not saying that every 4 wheeler has a lazy hunters on it--just frustrating, anyways it was right there that I decided to save the money to be flown out, and it was worth it, I am sure that it has something to do with where you are hunting & pressure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast