Thread: Fort Wainwright Hunting Areas 2008?

Exclamation Fort Wainwright Hunting Areas 2008?

Still trying to find out if/when/where hunting is going to be allowed behind Eielson on The Army land. Specifically, Johnson Rd, Brigadier Rd, Skyline Drive, and Quarry Rd. This is the first year I can recall where information has not been made readily available to the public. Yes I have been watching the FWW website and the USARAK website. Can't believe somethings not planned back there during 1-15 September! Every year it gets more restricted (days allowed to hunt) back there it seems.

Default Yukon Training Areas

I spoke with FWW Range Control two weeks ago and was told most, if not all areas behind Eielson would be closed the entire month of Sept due to training. It definitely makes you wonder...

I think its all going to be closed

Unhappy Well, guess I'm gonna have to

kick Osama's #ss!!!! It's never been the same since 9-11. I used to leave my house (on base) on my 4-wheeler and be in my tree stand over bait in 30 minutes. Now...forgetaboutit!! They might as well just close the whole area down now for recreation; it's yet another priveledge lost to the fight on terrorism. I used to live out back there for 2 weeks straight moose hunting (back in the early-late 90s), up until last year when there was just 5 days open,; and now there is zero this year?? Maybe the post Commander is anti-hunting. I know there was some talk about that in years past. Seems like they don't even want to try to make some of the area available! Nothing ever stays the same, nothing!

OK, my pity party is over....gonna play somewhere else.

It's not because of 9-11, Ft Wainwright changed there mission to strykers and they use the land for training. Your used to primarily infantry and helo's that didnt use the area as much. Not so much anymore, but I am on Eielson and have not heard of any closures yet.

There won't be any strykers training out there next month.

I really dont see why it would be closed. The entire 1-25 SBCT's equipment is in Camp Beuring or FOB Warhorse right about now. Only the aviation task force at FWW or 4-25 from FRA would be left. That would be pretty low if the didn't allow Soldiers to hunt out there right before we deploy.

Default Why it's Closed!

I was told a few years back...first hand that if the US Army Alaska had its way there would be no more hunting on Army land period. The current Army leadership in Alaska is very much so anti-hunting. The land is reserved for training but little to no training ever happens, just enough to say they have troops training. Write Governer, Senetor, or Congresman, it work a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper 2-6 View Post
    I really dont see why it would be closed. The entire 1-25 SBCT's equipment is in Camp Beuring or FOB Warhorse right about now. Only the aviation task force at FWW or 4-25 from FRA would be left. That would be pretty low if the didn't allow Soldiers to hunt out there right before we deploy.
    Our next big train up is in October thru Nov and that will be at NTC... They have units from the bde and other units here on Rich going to DTA but it is only a week at a time over the next month or so.

Default Don't have a clue

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder73 View Post
    I was told a few years back...first hand that if the US Army Alaska had its way there would be no more hunting on Army land period. The current Army leadership in Alaska is very much so anti-hunting. The land is reserved for training but little to no training ever happens, just enough to say they have troops training. Write Governer, Senetor, or Congresman, it work a few years ago.

1. Land just isn't closed for any reason on an Army post, units request land a few weeks out for specific training. As someone else pointed out, all our Stykers are gone and are headed overseas. I can tell you first hand that there is no great conspiracy of anti hunters at USARAK. It just that crazy thing of getting soldiers ready to go to war. Write the GOV or Ted, but training soldiers will always have priority over hunting.

Join up and you can hunt on the land for free! As for me hopefully I get another 60 incher off the YTA!

Good luck!

Forgot we are not going to FTW as far as we go is to DTA

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder73 View Post
    I've been cutting firewood in the Borough cutting area just outside Army land on Johnson Road. I've yet to see a single Army vehicle heading in or out of that area.....so I wonder where all the training is?
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskainfNCO View Post
    .....Land just isn't closed for any reason on an Army post, units request land a few weeks out for specific training. As someone else pointed out, all our Stykers are gone and are headed overseas. I can tell you first hand that there is no great conspiracy of anti hunters at USARAK......
    Generally, I have to agree, although the Conservation Officers tend to be tinted green and tend to use any reason that comes up to close off hunting/trapping.

The relationships they must maintain with ADFG tends to balance them out.

Default Land use at YTA

During the next few months there may be some Air force training and range maintenance but there isn't much Army training scheduled to go on out there. Contact the Public Affairs Office for Fort Wainwright and see if there is any other reason they are closing the areas.

Some words I received in an e-mail today "The best information is always the USARTRAK recording- 353-3181. The entire YTA, including all roads, will be closed from Sept 12-30th and YTA 1 will be closed Sept 9&10th. This is according to the recording this morning. This is likely to change so have those individuals with questions call the recording." Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but last year they did the same thing then opened it all back up anyway. Good luck, and I wil post anything else I get.

Default hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskainfNCO View Post
    1. Land just isn't closed for any reason on an Army post, units request land a few weeks out for specific training. As someone else pointed out, all our Stykers are gone and are headed overseas. I can tell you first hand that there is no great conspiracy of anti hunters at USARAK. It just that crazy thing of getting soldiers ready to go to war. Write the GOV or Ted, but training soldiers will always have priority over hunting.

Join up and you can hunt on the land for free! As for me hopefully I get another 60 incher off the YTA!

Good luck!
    Last I heard, you don't have to "join up" to use Army/Air Force land for recreation. You just have to have the appropriate rec pass or permit. I did 20 years so I know where the priorities are with our countrys defense, that's not the point. What I'm saying is that things HAVE changed since 9-11 as far as access to the "back" goes. And 9-11 was before FWW got the Strykers and Cope Thunder turned to Red Flag and on and on... so there is a correlation for with terror, than with getting the new unit. just my 2 cents..and I too hope to get another bullwinkle back there.

Default Info Finally posted on the FWW website

The link is here: http://www.wainwright.army.mil/ on the left hand side of the page.

Default Free

[quote=FishnMan;328013]Last I heard, you don't have to "join up" to use Army/Air Force land for recreation. You just have to have the appropriate rec pass or permit.

I said hunt the land for free......

I don't think anyone would argue with you that the entire country has changed since 9 11.