Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whittier report 8/24/08, biggest silver I ever caught

Default Whittier report 8/24/08, biggest silver I ever caught

Went out sunday to Esther in the western bays, a little windy/choppy in the morning turned into a nice day until about 5 PM when it started to drizzle a bit.

BIG silvers jumping all over in coves and at the mouth of streams, GREAT fishing; 1 30 incher, 1 29", 1 28 1/2", 2 27" and a little guy at 23" that we kept cause it was time to go and head back. I think we caught-and-released a good dozen more between the two of us.

I was actually tired by the time I got the fish in the boat; multiple 100 foot line-stripping runs, leaping into the air while twisting, the works.

Caught it on 12lb mono, its the biggest silver I've ever caught, I dont know if it nears a record or not, but he's sure gonna smoke up good!

I'll post a pic soon.

Cool So...

THAT's where the silvers were. Man, we trolled all over on Satuday with nothing but pinks taking us down. At least someone found them. Good Job. How far up Esther?
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Default Nice fish

My son caught one out by Naked last Tuesday 32"long 23" girth Weighed 18.5 pounds
    (+ or - on cheap scale) Did you weigh any of them?
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    My son caught one out by Naked last Tuesday 32"long 23" girth Weighed 18.5 pounds
    (+ or - on cheap scale) Did you weigh any of them?
    Dave
    The silvers we have been catching are the largest I have seen for many years. We put a 20 pounder in the boat Saturday. Talk abou a fatty. WE were fishing south Knight Island Passage. Lots of fish down there.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Thanks for the report
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Yes, thanks

Nice to see someone catching them out there. Sounded pretty dismal, from all the chatter I was hearing on the radio on Saturday. Planning on spending Labor Day weekend in PWS, going after Deer.
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

Main Granite bay towards the back.

Unfortunately we didnt weigh them before I bled, gutted, and put them on ice. Didnt have a scale on board.

What I really like about Esther, which I'm probably ruining , is that I hardly ever see anybody there, there must have been 100 boats out on the water, and all I saw in the bay with me was a small commercial guy stringing nets (frown) which I had to dodge on the way out of the bay. And even he was an oddity.

After I posted I went looking for the average Coho length and was suprised to find wikepedia said 28 inches and another site said 30?!
    To me, thats a good deal larger than I'm used to seeing.

Is it Ester Passage, or somewhere around Ester Island? If you want to say

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    The silvers we have been catching are the largest I have seen for many years. We put a 20 pounder in the boat Saturday. Talk abou a fatty. WE were fishing south Knight Island Passage. Lots of fish down there.
    Just got back from a couple days fishing for silvers in Valdez, and I have to say that the silver over on that side of PWS are big this year, too. Our average weight on more then 20 fish was over 10 pounds, with about half over 15...they were just consistently big fish. Awesome...lots of fun, lots of meat. Gotta get my brine ready.......

That average length sounds about right across their range ... while many things grow big in Alaska ... in most places, silvers are not one of them. They average much larger in size as you go south and, heaven forbid, NY I belive has the official sport caught record ... but I've seen some that weren't caught in nutrient dumps from the hatcheries in some areas that would have busted the current world record.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ball - Piscatorial Pursuits View Post
    That average length sounds about right across their range ... while many things grow big in Alaska ... in most places, silvers are not one of them. They average much larger in size as you go south and, heaven forbid, NY I belive has the official sport caught record ... but I've seen some that weren't caught in nutrient dumps from the hatcheries in some areas that would have busted the current world record.
    You are correct on the record coming out of Lake Ontario. My buddy who runs charters out of Port Credit managed a 29 and change pounder that was the record for one day before the fellow on the NY side beat it by over 3 pounds.

As promised, a picture, its starting to look a little bedraggled after being gutted, stuffed in a moving ice chest 1/4 full of ice in the back of a pickup as it drives around all day...

Gonna go get it smoked at the place in north Muldoon
    Last edited by Maast; 02-26-2010 at 09:03.

Default big silvers

You guys are right. I grew up in Wash state and we spent a lot of time fishing out of Seiku in the 60's and 70's and the silvers were much bigger down there than anything I have ever caught up here in AK since I moved here.

Default Skunked for Silvers 9/28 (Thursday)

I went out yesterday. At least the weather was great, flat calm everywhere and only a occasional light rain. I started out in Grantite Bay like Maast suggested and it was dead. The only thing we caught was jelly fish. We were fishing herring, both trolling and mooching.

After this we ran down to Main Bay were my friend I was fishing with did well the week before. We say some from 60' on down on the depth finder, but there was no hits. There were sea lions in the area feeding, so it makes me think there was something there, but they were not interested in our herring. From there we trolled the west side of Lone Island and then fished Pigot Point for a while on the way back in.

We saw pinks in the harbor jumping on the way out and when we came back in, but we did not see a single salmon jump the whole day in all of the area we covered. Kind of strange.

I was hoping to give you guys going out for the three day weekend a good start, but thats about all the news I have. We did meet up at the fuel docks with that 50' Viking from Seward. He had a $2000 fuel bill. I asked him about his fuel burn, and he said that he gets 500 miles out of 3000 gallons.

The other thing we ran into was Time Bandit II was on a mooring buoy at the bay on Ester where the hatchery is, so if you have the kids with this may be a neat detour. If I were to go this weekend, which I am not going to, I think I would head toward Valdez since I hear there are catching them on that side of the bay.

Jim

Default last sunday

I was in Esther bay for about an hour - didn't see much action - no silvers for us - but I don't know how to hold my mouth right fishin in the salt yet. It was my first time in that part of the sound - and I will be back.

Default i love silvers

silvers are always a good time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    he said that he gets 500 miles out of 3000 gallons.

Jim
    Holy crap.

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    We did meet up at the fuel docks with that 50' Viking from Seward. He had a $2000 fuel bill. I asked him about his fuel burn, and he said that he gets 500 miles out of 3000 gallons.

The other thing we ran into was Time Bandit II was on a mooring buoy at the bay on Ester where the hatchery is, so if you have the kids with this may be a neat detour. If I were to go this weekend, which I am not going to, I think I would head toward Valdez since I hear there are catching them on that side of the bay.

Jim
    Whose Viking is that, anyway? It's a freakin' giant. Gorgeous boat, but good God...

And what/who is Time Bandit II?

Spent last weekend in Valdez, did well. Tomorrow trying Whittier, although it sounds iffy....

Just got back from fishing for silvers out of Whittier and it was a bust. One pink and that's it. Bad news pretty much all around on the radio. Friday and Saturday were picture perfect with cloudless skies, no wind, warm, no bugs to speak of (what??), water like glass. Last night it clouded over, the wind kicked up and today's a small craft advisory so we pulled anchor at 0630, pulled the pots, and headed in to beat the armada of boats that were soon to follow. Except for some of the crap-for-brains people in small boats with small kids just heading out. And the guys in the skiff with the jet. But that's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Whose Viking is that, anyway? It's a freakin' giant. Gorgeous boat, but good God...

And what/who is Time Bandit II?

Spent last weekend in Valdez, did well. Tomorrow trying Whittier, although it sounds iffy....
    The Viking is named 'Striker'. The guy running it did not own it. Apparently it is someone with money from out of state. He says they keep it in Seward in the summer and Baja in the winter. Must be nice, except for paying the bills.

Time Bandit II is from the Deadliest Catch, the Discovery channel cable show. Sorry, I guess that information is not of much interest unless you watch this show all the time.

Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast