Thread: Took my 12 yr old daugter CARIBOU hunting

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Talking Took my 12 yr old daugter CARIBOU hunting

we had an exciting weekend, my daughter has a 20A bou tag, so we took a trip up Healy creek. It started after school on Friday. Since i had not originally planned on this last weekend outing it was some what hectic leaving. we arrived in Healy about 8:30 pm unloaded and headed up the trail. I decided to put My daughter "Alex" on the Honda 500 rather then the lighter Yamaha this trip and that was defiantly a good call. i rode my 500 Suzuki and towed a trailer.. the trailer should have stayed home. it took us about an hour to winch through the first mud hole i found. the entire time my little girl is snickering about having to pull dad out then the trailer. by this time we were about 300 yards from the truck. the sun was setting and we are finally on the road. but the road kept disappearing. I had not been up Healy creek this season and the flooding had done considerable damage to EVERY THING... entire sections of the road into the hanger pit are now river bed and sinkholes were every where. as it got dark we lost sections of the trail and wound up following the river bed up, crossing the creek about 30 times. Healy creek was not deep for the most part about to the floor boards of the bikes, however the current is steep enough that it drug my bike and trailer down stream regularly. so we spent the night crawling over boulders and logs.. about 1 am we made camp nearly 1/2 way in... 10-12 miles. my little girls was wiped out. a quick cup of coco on the MSR and into the bag she went.

6 am Saturday morning. the alarm goes off as i am sitting drinking my coffee. after about 2 min. out of the mummy bag crawls something that looked like it should be wrapped in bandages and embalmed.....Dad? what is that sound? heres your coco lets go ....

8:15 am we are on the north fork of Healy creek. we left the trailer back at the camp.. Good call that trail is ROUGH!!! we spot 2 other bikes covered in the brush, other then that we are alone.. we worked out way up to a hill top and i set up to make some mountain house eggs... ( yum) and Alex yells dad, dad !!!!!! CARIBOU all over that hill!!!! big WHITE ONES... look dad there moving every where!!!! lets go lets go lets go!!!

dad keeps making breakfast. and tells her to unpack the spotting scope...

I set up the scope for her and told her to find a "good Bull" in the group, and go back to eating my eggs. dad there are NO horns on those caribou, did they shed them already. No honey those are sheep.

I sat down with my glasses and began the search of the valley below and spotted some cow moose up the Healy creek valley in in the CUA. and turned to see a nice bull Bou. racing down the north fork. something had him spooked.

he dove into the brush and then turned to race back up the creek and then back down and into the brush. He would come out trot up and down and back into he brush yet again...

As he was the ONLY one we could see we decided to put the stalk on him. leaving the bikes on the hill top and walking the ridge around him to come in on top of his bedding area.

we have the wind in our face at about 15-20 miles an hour. no problems there. we crossed the first ridge under the watch full eyes of about 45 Ewes and lambs. then we got in to the blue berries....

Now any one that has EVER!! seen a big Ole bear rolling around a blue Berry patch can envision my daughter mowing her way through them... every time i turned around all i can see is her bottom in the air grunting and yum-ming " oh i can eat every on of these she was saying to her self"

ALEX? YES DAD? were moving on ..... ung yeah....

3 hours later we are sitting on the hill above where we last seen our bull. and suddenly he was there below us to the right... we had walk right past where he had bedded down.

he came trotting out of the brush and straight for our location.

and then it happened

the wind that had been our friend all the way across the hill side decide to turn and roll down our backs... at 300 yards ( to far for my daughter) he winds us and stops.

turns and runs back into the creek bottom. i sit and watch thinking what is this guy doing??? i have never seen a Bou that took refuge IN the brush...

as we were already busted i said let move back across the hill to be back down wind of him and let him settle down.. i could see his antlers in the willows from time to time as he fought his way around in it.

after about an hour of watching we decide to move down and along the creek bank to try to out flank him on the river bed below... and Agni he did the unexpected he ran INTO the wind. and was gone... wait, so is Alex.....

ummmm yummmmm i find her in another berry patch. hey leave some for the bears..... well dad.. YOU scared my caribou so i have to eat these....

giving up on this guy for the day we head back up hill to find our bikes and gear.

Whats that sound Dad.... SHHHHHHHH!!!!!! look... right above us another heard of sheep are crossing the mountain. 37 in that group all ewes and lambs again...

anther 2 hours and we are back up on the ridge and see our first group has moved down the hill to feed.. so we decide to put a "PRACTICE stalk" on this group. teaching her how to belly crawl with her browning 270. we make it to with in 40 yards of about 25 ewes and lambs.. Alex tells me.. " Dad sheep hunting is easy, we should do it for real......" as we sit on the hill top some of the little guys feed closer to us. and my daughter being the Girl she is....... begins talking to the " cute little guys" and as the ewes get more nervous i say okay time to go.. she sits up and yells!!! BYE!!! lammy lambs!!!!!

wouldn't you know it.. a couple answered her BAAAAAAAA! and watched us leave...

by this time it is 6 pm.. we are back at the bikes a sand which and cup of soup... we decide to head back to camp. and see what the morning brings.. we are both wiped out from our hike unfortunately we awoke in the morning to about a dozen 4 wheelers rolling by.. opening day of the cow hunt on the wood river... to much competition for One bull back there. we headed home empty handed but full of joy at our first real stalk together. all in all we spotted nearly 100 sheep but before you get excited. only one had any Horn at all.. about 1/8th curl. Sunday morinng we awoke to Griz tracks in camp and wolf on the river bed... Alex said dad what smelled like dead fish last night... then i showed her the tracks 40 feet from the tent. she says " Dad time to go.....

Any one headed UP Healy creek should be aware the trail is hazardous at best.. there are several sections that now side hill the river bank and soon will be part of it. sink holes in the road that will swallow several bikes at a time. the current is swift while crossing and gut breaking rough.

We had at the very worst... the most enjoyable time and i claim this as one of my most successful hunts yet

Take your kids hunting WOW you wont be sorry..

Default Great Story

Moments like that you will remember for every. Great Job Dad.

Terry

Default Great!

Great post partner. Cant wait to get my little girl out there. She keeps asking so it must be time!

Great story! Thanks for sharing.

Next time dad, don't scare her caribou away, OK??

Default nice

Awesome post cant wait for my daughter to be able to go. she 5 now and shes already asking me to take her on hunts. think i might take her duck hunting here next week. Great story again!

matt

Vince, thanks much for posting such a great story of hunting with your daughter. Both of you are making great memories together. Good luck on the next hunt,

Thanks for the story. I also took my daughter on a caribou hunt and it was a great time. I can just picture your daughter kidding you about having to pull your wheeler and trailer out of the mud. An experience and memories beyond description.

Great story, thanks for sharing that. My oldest daughter is 7 and she really wants to go hunting with me. I plan to take her moose hunting on the first (it'll be an easy hunt and we probably won't get one), but she is really pumped up about it. I think she is still too young to head out on a remote trip, but in a few years I plan to take her after caribou.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Thanks for all the good words i honestly have to thank Huntress for keeping me posted on her Hubby's hunt last week giving us the decision to go..

And Jerod my youngest is 7 she goes on short hunting trips and does camp remote with us all the time.. you have to keep them occupied and let them play in the water.. log periods of spotting is a bit much for them to stay quite but around camp where they can run and play no problems at all.

Vince, I still have yet to convince the wife that our 7 year old will be safe on a camping trip. Soon enough though I'll get her out there. I've had her shooting bow and .22 for a year or two now, so she's getting some of the basics. We did some clearing on our land this summer and I had her start a fire next to mine on the brush fires to get her all learned up. She wants to start out by killing a zebra though. I think I've got my hands full with this one.

Kudo's to you again for getting your kids out there. How did your daughter like the trip once you guys got back? I figure she might have been a little worn out from the 4 wheeling?

Default Love it

Those are the kind of stories that mean something. My daughter just turned 13 and this will be her first year. Can't wait. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Jerod & keep working on the wife... mine was worn out form the trip it was a rough ride. but then she does it on a regular basis as well. we ( me my 3 daughters and son) ride 24 miles into our claim behind ferry all the time and as the trail is mud and rock they get there dues on the bikes. my 7 r old rides with the 10yr old on the lite bike.. Alex normally pulls a trailer behind her bike.. my kids all pull hills and mud my friends wont do.. it is just practice and patience with them... help them do it but ,make them do it at the same time..

last Saturday... after crossing river all night in the dark, her first crossing in the day light she was scared and got her hung up on a rock ...

Dad will you do it.. hmm wade out, knee deep, and drive....

No!!! you can do it give it gas and drive it.. and she was through.

My 7 yr old is practicing to go hunting. she practices being quite...

her record is 9 min......
    Last edited by Vince; 08-25-2008 at 22:37. Reason: spelling

Vince,

I'm so glad you posted your story, I could just visualize the whole trip! What a wonderful time you both had. Maybe next year we'll all connect with a bou. If it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg...

To everyone else headed out that way, take care. It was a mess out there!

Huntress

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Thanks for all the good words i honestly have to thank Huntress for keeping me posted on her Hubby's hunt last week giving us the decision to go..

And Jerod my youngest is 7 she goes on short hunting trips and does camp remote with us all the time.. you have to keep them occupied and let them play in the water.. log periods of spotting is a bit much for them to stay quite but around camp where they can run and play no problems at all.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Thanks for sharing you experience. That sounded like a terrific time with your daughter !

Great story and great memories It is good to hear about people getting out with their kids. I have some great memorys of hunting with my daughter when she was little. Now waiting for the grandkids to get a little bigger.