Thread: How do you judge 50 inches?

Default How do you judge 50 inches?

I would like to get some ideas on how do you judge 50 inches on a Moose?

Thanks

Default Check the archives...

I'd like to offer you some suggestions, but I know some of the guys on here can explain it easier and offer better info, but if you check the archives, I know this has been discussed in great detail multiple times. You should be able to find what you are looking for in there. Good luck!

AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I am headed up in Sep. on my first moose hunt. Most areas seem to be 50"or 3 brows. I will not shoot unless it has three brows or unless my partner and I decide that it is WAY obvious that it is WELL over 50"s. Nonetheless I am going to count brow tines to determine wheather or not to shoot. Best of luck!

You get your hunting partners to jump on his back, hold him down while you approach with a tape measure. NO! Sorry! couldn't resist. Seriously,
    As mentioned by others in previous posts. F&G has an excellent video on judging moose. I bought it a few years ago. It even has a good number of bulls at the end as a test asking you what you think, it then gives you the "right" answer and why. I think it comes with the meat care video now.

Default 50" = 5 x the distance between the antler bases....

or........ hire a guide *lol*

anyhow that's how I cypher it and I'm normally within an inch or so......

this requires a straight on look and your mind has to be able to do some estimating.....

there are several other methods but this is the one I use

to be totally honest I'm not looking for 51" moose though I'm looking really to see if he's in the 60" class or not