Thread: The 35 Whelen

Default The 35 Whelen

Hello all...looking for any and all opinions on the 35 Whelen. Please weigh in if you have experience with this round as I am considering picking up a new rifle! Thanks

It's a dandy. There's just a whole lot to be said for a 35 cal bullet at moderate velocities. I've let the last of my Whelens slip through my fingers recently, but that's because I've got three 358 Winchesters I'm really fond of. The 35 Whelen offers a little more velocity, especially with heavier bullets. But whether that's enough to provide meaningful improvements on trajectory and impact with game is a moot point with me. You'll have a hard time finding a 358 or the ammo these days, but can do okay along those lines with a Whelen. If that lets you into the medium caliber/moderate velocity game, go for it. I think you'll be really happy with the results.

You may be even happier than you would be with a 338-06, if you're also considering that caliber. A good friend who's deeply experienced with both is thinking of parting with his 338-06's entirely to concentrate on the 35 Whelen. In his experience, many of the heavier 338 bullets are simply too strongly built for reliable expansion as range stretches with the 338-06. He feels that the build of typical 35 caliber bullets is a lot more in line with the velocity range of the 35 Whelen. It's easy for me to follow his reasoning and respect his thoroughness in testing before forming opinions, but it's still secondhand reporting on my part.

Could be the ultimate moose cartridge. I've had great luck with mine using the 250 Speer Grand Slam bullet.

Default excellent choice

When I was homesteading, it was my only go to gun. Used one bullet, the 250 grain Hornady Interlock spire point and it never failed to perform well on moose and bear. Felt like a sniper, "one shot, one kill."

northern n.y. and much of the eastern U.S.

Get It...! Serously, a round. I own 2 35's one .358/300wsm, and a way cool limited ruger #1 in the whelen...that one's going moosen this year.

Default I finally got one!!

I personally have wanted one forever and finally found one here this summer and picked it up. I am so excited. Still waiting for my new scope and stuff before I crank it up for my test drive. It is already scheduled to go bison hunting twice this winter as the backup gun. Too bad I didn't draw the tag myself. Get it man I don't think you can beat it!!

Default proud papa

Well I did it...can't wait to go out and see what she can do!

You know the 9,3x62 mm (very popular in europe) is very similar to the 35 whelen performance wise,but it never became a hit on the US market

northern n.y. and much of the eastern U.S.

Congrats' Deadwolf, You've chosen a mighty fine cartridge there. I've found that H-4895 is a very good powder in my 35's Both in accuracy and velocity. My Whelen has a 22" Bbl. so I can only reasonably burn 57.5 grains ahead of a Fed match mag rifle primer. Sure, I can stick more in the case but I don't get any increase in velocity..Oh, yeah, that's all under a Barnes 225 tsx. I used this exclusively last year on 7 large whitetails and the performance became predictable after number 3...same hole going in, same HOLE going out every time. Best to you and enjoy.

Default .35 whelen

i used a remington 700 long action, mated to a douglas #4 contour 22" barrel (1:12) and stocked with an hs precision stock. this has been a great rifle for me, and a shooter as well.

using barnes x 200 gr and aa2015 powder (crono 2800fps) it is deadly and accurate. it will hold 2.13 @ 200 yds, and has made 7 kills on elk ( one took 2rds--the other 6 ...one shot kills)

this rifle is the least finicky (likes 200 gr rem core-lockt) one i own, and will group and feed most any bullet-powder combination. brass is never a problem (important now), and it can handle bullets from 185gr-275gr.

so far i have three of them....
    custom remington w/douglas barrel
    remington cdl
    custom sako w/obermeyer barrel

good luck with your rifle!