Thread: halibut in north Cook Inlet

Default halibut in north Cook Inlet

What is the farthest north any of you have heard of halibut being caught in Cook Inlet? I'm thinking of taking a kayak out by Nikiski or Kenai to try and fish for them, and I'd like to know if I even have a chance.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Default Anchorage

Furthest I've heard is Anchorage, but I'm guessing they've gone all the way up Knik Arm. Why wouldn't they? As far as a chance of catching, I wouldn't waste my time targeting them. I'd drive the extra distance to Anchor Point or Homer and fish in the weeds early in the season.

I've heard of rockfish around Kalgin Island. I'd also imagine as the spawned out salmon wash out of the Kenai River, there would be some halibut hanging around to clean up.

Farther North than that, and it becomes a structure issue, or rather lack their of. Northern cook inlet is basically a massive silt/mud bottom, and just doesn't hold any fish for halibut to feed on.

If I was in Kenai and wanted something to do on a free evening, I'd definately give it a try. If I was dedicating a trip for the purpose, I'd likely head to Deep Creek, as it's known for having halibut close to shore.

Can you get into chickens right off of deep creek? I also have a kayak I have taken out of whittier and seward for silvers but would love to target the smaller halibut at some point. If the chickens are close by, that would be a great trip.

Default I saw..

the carcass of a large halibut washed up on Pt. Possession about 18 years ago. I saw it while flying a scheduled flight in from somewhere down south and quickly jumped into the supercub and checked it out. Sure enough, it was the carcass of an approximate 200 lb. + fish. It was completely intact, no apparent injuries as well in fact if it hadn't obviously been there a while I might have salvaged some meat. I called fish and game and they seemed unimpressed. They claimed people were always catching chickens in Bird and Ship creeks. I've lived in Anchorage all my life and never caught halibut in either place. But I have caught Tom cod in both places!

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    Can you get into chickens right off of deep creek? I also have a kayak I have taken out of whittier and seward for silvers but would love to target the smaller halibut at some point. If the chickens are close by, that would be a great trip.
    People routinely catch chicken, and even larger halibut not far from Deep Creek.
    I have heard reliable sources tell me that it is not uncommon to catch halibut right of the big bouy at the mouth of the Kenai River.

A few weeks ago my son and I were fishing Deep Creek for silvers between the mouth and the Sterling Hwy. bridge and saw a dogfish go by pursuing the silvers. That far up in fresh water! Just goes to show that fish are where you find 'em.