Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unit 13 heart and liver recovery

Default Unit 13 heart and liver recovery

All,

Can some one please shed some light on the reason F & G requires a person to recover the heart and liver of a moose taken in unit 13. Seldom have I heard of such a ridiculous requirement. What possible redeeming value does this provide? Are they suggesting I should consume these organs? Any one have anything?

It's worse for the caribou hunters in 13, as they have to salvage the kidneys, hide, and head as well. Those requirements turned what could have been a single backpack load into a two load pack out when I hunted my sister's caribou last year.

The official reason would probably have to do with subsistence uses of the animal. Many folks do indeed eat the heart and liver (and would consider these among the best parts of the animal). The hide can be used for a sleeping pad or decoration, and the head...well...I'm not quite sure on that one. Some have suggested, however, that the actual reason for these requirements is to make it more of a hassle to hunt in 13 in hopes that less people will do so, particularly when it comes to the Tier II hunts. I'm no conspiracy theorist, but...

Go to the meat dept. at Fred's (meyers), I think you'll find beef heart and liver for sale there. Lotsa folks eat heart and liver, caribou, moose, it's all good.
    Hey Brian, remember the moose hide you sold............bou hides are worth some moola too.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thumbs up

I love the heart of both! Not too big on the liver, but I have friends that are so I always bring it all along.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Alaska sausage and seafood in anch makes an awsome liver sausage... i dont care for the liver but do like the sausage on a sandwich.

good grub!!!!! Don't forget the tongue makes a great soup with the heart.

Not a huge fan of heart and liver, but will eat it.

I remember my first bad case of gout was after a buddy brought some moose liver along on a deer hunting trip. I didn't know *** happened to my big toe! I take a daily pill now to keep it under control and it's not problem.

One solution is to put it into the burger grind. I've done this a few times.

I remember a while back a Tlinget buddy of mine asked that I save him some tripe. It was a fairly nasty exercise and the only reason I did it was that I was as a stream and could turn the stomach inside out and wash it thoroughly. He was quite thankful.

Cool thing is, if you're not a Tier II hunter but hunting moose with a harvest ticket in that unit, you can leave that crap behind.

Default check the regs

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Cool thing is, if you're not a Tier II hunter but hunting moose with a harvest ticket in that unit, you can leave that crap behind.
    Not true Matt. It's all moose taken in 13. From the reg book:

For all moose taken in Unit 13, salvage requirements include the heart, liver, and all edible meat. All meat of the front quarters, hindquarters
    and ribs must remain naturally attached to the bone until transported from the field or processed for human consumption.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Sounds more like you're talking about a politician than food.

In my book, if moose and caribou had twice as much heart and liver it wouldn't be enough.

Even where it's not required to do so, bring it out and give it to folks who appreciate it. Whining like this is a wide open opportunity for the anti's to go after wasteful hunters. And I agree with them that leaving it in the field is wasteful. That goes for kidneys and tongue too. Just cuzz you don't like something doesn't mean that other peoples' taste is crap. Bring it out like the law requires and pass it along. Just like the responsible hunters we claim to be.

Quote Originally Posted by dipnetter View Post
    All,

Can some one please shed some light on the reason F & G requires a person to recover the heart and liver of a moose taken in unit 13.
    IMO; Because it's food.

Seldom have I heard of such a ridiculous requirement.
    I'm curious... what is so ridiculous about it?

What possible redeeming value does this provide?
    They are food.

Are they suggesting I should consume these organs?
    Give 'em a try.... they're good eating! Moose liver is huge and tastes great!

KRS

Quote Originally Posted by Alasken View Post
    Not true Matt. It's all moose taken in 13. From the reg book:

For all moose taken in Unit 13, salvage requirements include the heart, liver, and all edible meat. All meat of the front quarters, hindquarters
    and ribs must remain naturally attached to the bone until transported from the field or processed for human consumption.
    I stand corrected! Thanks for that. Must have been last year that it was different.

Remember, there's no closed door or litmus test for people reading this site.

I know several anti's who read here all the time, just looking for ideas and issues to set their teeth in.

Take this to the Board, and just watch what comes out of the woodwork. Better to get excited about the extra work of packing something you don't eat yourself, just for an opportunity to share food with people who appreciate it. And who also don't think of it as crap.

But those same yo-yo's equate animals with humans, so just as well a bear or raven eat it than some person.

All,

Can some one please shed some light on the reason F & G requires a person to recover the heart and liver of a moose taken in unit 13. Seldom have I heard of such a ridiculous requirement. What possible redeeming value does this provide? Are they suggesting I should consume these organs? Any one have anything?
    Because they're good to eat. I like the kidneys better especially as a breakfast meat, but the heart and liver are good, as is the small intestine when turned inside out and stuffed with ground meat mixture and baked.

Moose and caribou head soup are good too. And no, it's not what you are probably thinking.
    Now what ?

with all the talk about what taste good, does anyone have some good recipe's of these things. liver,heart,kidneys?

Default simple recipes

Heart is great sliced thick and fried like you'd do a steak, and liver is great sliced in small chunks and fried up with onions. Moose liver is huge though, so in many cases we'd jar some or use it in other ways. Liver can be mixed in with sausage etc. Here's a pic that has some jarred heart in it:

My wife likes to use the jarred heart (or liver) in spaghetti sauce.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default speaking of canning....

Mark you just reminded me.. we always save our trimmings also. you know all that sinew, fat, blood shot stuff we cut off and put in a bucket..... i can every bit of that and use if for the pets dinners over the winter... i usually get 2-3 / pint, cases of trimming and the pets love it cat to.. and all that fat is good for them when its cold out.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Speaking of the trimmings...

Vince, we haul everything out and all that is left is some blood on the ground (I ususally get nearly 5 gallons of blood dipped from chest cavity that we use for dogteam) and the stomach and intestinal contents. It's a pain (literally) in the back, but with a dogteam here we put all we don't use to good use too. We get all the kidney and intestinal fat too to use for ourselves throughout the winter for frying, real good stuff.

I don't mind the heart and liver requirement the issue to me is the head and ribs! The head is lunacy at face value... I have hauled the ribs out with a wheeler on the nelchina bou tag but it is rediculous to require the ribs to be hauled out whole! There is no reason someone who is carefull shouldn't be able to get 99% of the meat off of the ribs. As long as they don't just pile all of the lose meat (back-strap/loins/ribs) into one full bag there is no reason that they shouldn't be able to get proper air circulation to the boned meat. Split it up and hang it and it will be fine, more small bags is better than big heavy bags.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast