Thread: Legal Shooting TIme

Default Legal Shooting TIme

Maybe a stupid question is there a legal shooting time for big game in Alaska? Is it the same for waterfowl? Never really thought about it

Waterfowl have legal shooting times. I've never seen one for other game.

Default Shooting Time

I always thought that once I was west of the Mississippi River that legal shooting times were from "light enough to see" until "too dark to see".

Seriously, I just looked through the 2008-09 regs and I couldn't find anything about shooting hours - I just always assumed they were from sunrise until sunset. However, my first definition may actually be correct for Alaska. It definitely isn't for western states of the "lower 48".

Its more of an ethical question in Alaska instead of a regulator question. I have never found anything published about time except for the same day airborne restriction. Be sure you have enough time to recover the animal, especially wounded game before it gets dark. During the fall hunting season, it gets real dark out there on the tundra.

Default shooting light

In Alaska, I believe that waterfowl are the only species hunted that require a time to shoot and stop shooting. With big game, the use of artificial light is lillegal. Sun and moon aren't artificial, they're natural. Other than that, it doesn't say anything about shooting times. The hunting regs tell you what's illegal... When in doubt, call fish and feathers and confirm it with them. Their phone #'s are also in the hunting regs.

In Alaska you can shoot large game as long as you can see it without the aid of artificial light. For example, it would be illegal to use a night scope, flashlight, a laser, your ATV's or whatever vehicle lights, etc. You can use the moonlight, however. I imagine that it would be illegal to set a piece of wood afire (as a torch) to provide enough light to go and shoot game

But lets imagine that a hunter is at his campsite, sitting by the fire, and a moose walks into the light.... would he (or she) pass the shot?

To make it even more interesting I am under the understanding that using illuminated reticle is ok as long as it does not cast a light on your targeet. Thus red dot scopes are legal as are bushnell fire fly and others. In the right conditions it is possible to count tines or identify a bou when it is impossible to see standard no illuminated cross hairs. It is also legal to use artificial light in certain areas/seasons with a trapping license. For you winter bou/moose hunters up north with the long hours of darkness a fun way to pass the time is to set up and do some calling in the twilight!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    To make it even more interesting I am under the understanding that using illuminated reticle is ok as long as it does not cast a light on your targeet. Thus red dot scopes are legal as are bushnell fire fly and others. In the right conditions it is possible to count tines or identify a bou when it is impossible to see standard no illuminated cross hairs. It is also legal to use artificial light in certain areas/seasons with a trapping license. For you winter bou/moose hunters up north with the long hours of darkness a fun way to pass the time is to set up and do some calling in the twilight!

I would recheck that luminated retical.... i was understanding that you can not have one IF IT REQUIRES a battery..... to light the cross hair..

I use th Bushnell firefly's that glow for and hour after a light is shined on it...i can hunt under a 1/4 moon in the snow with it...

as for the regs I am unsure so may be wrong but that was my take on it all some time back..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here