Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haul Rd. "son's First Bou Bowhunt"

Default Haul Rd. "son's First Bou Bowhunt"

Just got back 4-5 hrs ago had great trip , weather was good (fog in AM) water was not bad but dropping. some boats having major problems, wrong style boat, over loaded. one boat parked at camp site along haul rd between PS2 and 50 mile Launch. when we got there and never saw it used, ? motor problems. not alot of caribou but was kept pretty busy doing stalks along the Sag from my jet boat
    best part was hunt was with my son who had not bowhunted for 24 years or more he just got back into hunting 2 seasons ago.
    2nd day he made 2 hr+ crawl and made 25 yard shot , hit both lungs and heart traveled 40-50 yards and went down and hooves into air was so cool.
    PRETTY DARN NICE FIRST BOU AND WITH BOW, I GOT SKUNKED
    few more photos in photobucket.com under AKNIMROD in hunting album will try and post some of the here in my hunting album as well.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Nice Bou

Nice pic AK NIM. Did you get it North or South of PS2? I was in the helicopter 4-5 miles South of PS2 last week. I came across a couple of guys in mid 20s walking on East sideo of the river. Also, there was a jet boat with 2 guys stalking 3 caribou nearby.

Nice pic, congrats and thanks for sharing.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

actually my son got that guy short distance up Ivashak. on Tuesday
    big daddy i was in the jet boat and in bushes about 150 feet away from you one time you landed, on your approach i was just west of pipeline pad in brush watching the bou. that big noisey bird spooks bou by the way but they ended up going closer to my son but he did not get a shot. then as he was stalking them again in brush to west, he was 20 yards from them and kicked up cow moose that went across river and up steep bank at mach 1, and that spooked the 3 bou across the river.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Good seeing you up here Pat. It was a long drive back in some pretty thick fog after I left 50 mile. Finally hit the sack around 2:30am. Good to hear you made it home okay. I headed down the road tonight and got a good stalk in on a nice bull around 34 mile. Had him in range and about to set up to draw when he started flinching real bad. He started shaking his head, rubbing his antlers on the tundra and flicking his back leg, then snorted and took off like a bat outta hell. He had no idea I was there, but I think the bugs wanted him to know something was up. Oh well, it was fun regardless.

Good luck with your goat hunts this fall!

Looks like you two had a great hunt! Glad to hear all went so well.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Default Congrats!

Congratulations to you and your son. Nothing better than some quality time in the field. And to cap it off with a trophy like that. Wow. You're blessed.

Leaving in four days...

Cheers...

Congrats thats so cool.

Quote Originally Posted by AK NIMROD View Post
    Water was not bad but dropping. some boats having major problems, wrong style boat, over loaded.
    I saw your boat sitting at the 50 mile landing last Friday. I was checking out the area with thoughts of taking my XS up there someday. Your boat was far from being on the shore as the water was not deep enough to float it to shore. I did not see anything right there that I could not handle as far as running the boat but I was wondering how one would get there boat off the trailer when there it not enough water to get the trailer bunks wet. I can load my boat from dry ground but pushing it off the trailer is a bit tougher. Is there a hole around there to back the trailer in that I did not see? A few weeks ago I read a thread at SDD posted by a guy that got stuck there while trying to load his Predator, didn't sound like a good time.

Nice Boo by the way.

WHEN MY BOAT IS ON BOAT TRAILER I USE HI-LIFT JACK ON BOW TO PUSH IT BACK. THIS YEAR HAD BIG UTILITY TRAILER . I CARRY 4 PIECES OF 6" SCHEDULE 80 PVC AND WE JACKET UP BOAT SLIDE TWO OF THOSE UNDER, BACKED TRAILER IN AND PUSHED IT OFF. THERE IS A KNEE DEEP HOLE BUT BUT NOT ENOUGH. IT IS AT ANGLE JUST PAST SMALL GRAVEL BAR. SOME GUYS 3-4 IN XSHALLOW MUSCLED THEIR BOAT OFF. MINE IS TOO HEAVY ESP. FOR AN OLD GUY AND ONE OTHER TO PUSH IT OFF UNASSISTED. THE XS WAS HAVING ISSUES AND HE DID NOT LIKE LOW WATER NOT SURE WHY. ? UNFAMILIAR WITH RIVER AS IT WAS HIS FIRST TRIP UP SAG / IVASHAK OR NOT ALOT OF RIVER RUNNING EXPERIENCE. THAT IS WHERE I LEARNED BUT THERE WAS MORE WATER 5-6 YEARS AGO WHEN I STARTED JET BOATING UP THERE.
    THAT WAS PROBABLY "JEROD" THAT GOT HIS TRUCK STUCK ? BACK IN JULY OR EARLY AUG. HE BACKED IN 100 YARDS FARTHER DOWN STREAM, WATER IS DEEPER BUT GRAVEL IS APPEARENTLY SOFTER. HE GOT HIS F-150 STUCK FOR ABOUT 3 HRS. I HAVE NEARLY GOT MY F-350 CREW CAB WITH 11 FOOT + CAMPER STUCK A COUPLE TIMES , OVER THE YEARS. NOW I JUST DON'T BACK IN AS FAR AND PUSH IT IN.
    NEED TO HAVE LOADER SCRAP A HOLE THERE EVEN SOMEONE WITH REG SNOW PLOW COULD PROBABLY GET IT ALOT BETTER IN A FEW PASSES.
    Last edited by AK NIMROD; 08-25-2008 at 14:45. Reason: REATTACH PHOTO

THERE IS A KNEE DEEP HOLE BUT BUT NOT ENOUGH.
    A knee deep hole would do it for me.

THE XS WAS HAVING ISSUES AND HE DID NOT LIKE LOW WATER NOT SURE WHY. ? UNFAMILIAR WITH RIVER AS IT WAS HIS FIRST TRIP UP SAG / IVASHAK OR NOT ALOT OF RIVER RUNNING EXPERIENCE.
    That XS that was there was a 17' J-Max XS which is powered by a 4-stroke 160hp Yamaha rather than the 21' XS with a 200hp Mercury Sportjet. I have not ran a J-Max XS but from what I could see from the landing and from a short walk up river my 21' XS would do fine.

Off topic: I saw your truck sitting there with a floor jack under the hitch extension. Were you eliminating camper bounce while camping or are you having issues with that long extension? Bit off topic from Bou hunting on the haul road but here is a picture of the extension support I built, you might think about a upper link like this for traveling roads like the haul road. The upper link which is a upper link from a tractor 3-point hitch triangulates the hitch and keeps the extension from sagging. The side support links are just for some extra piece of mind but are not really needed.

I've been running a Predator up there and usually tink bottoms and have run it dry a few times. I run a lot on those rivers though. We pushed the boat off the trailer this year and it was a high water year. There really isn't an easy place to launch. Loading is much easier, except when you get the truck stuck with the boat loaded up. I'm not sure what forum the "SCC" is, so it wasn't me that posted over there. I did see another predator headed up when we were headed south, so it could have been him. We spent a little over 3 hours trying to get the truck out, and eventually worked it out without needing a tow. We did have somebody try to tow us, but he started bogging down and we didn't want two trucks stuck at once. We ended up loading the boat further over by the main launch area.

I've heard of a couple XS's running the Ivishak, one of which spent his first day up the river getting unstuck. They headed right back downstream and never returned. One other made a trip, got stuck, set up camp, shot a couple caribou from where they parked it and left not planning to give it another try.

I think the Predator is a much better suited boat for that river as it seems to handle better and run shallower from what I've seen. You will risk damage to your boat on that river, but after a couple seaons of running you really start to figure out the channels. I'm sure an experienced person can run a XS, Sport Jon or pretty much any shallow water boat on that river. I have towed out a Hewes Craft from up the Ivishak. I'm not sure what he was thinking by taking that boat up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    I'm not sure what forum the "SCC" is, so it wasn't me that posted over there. I did see another predator headed up when we were headed south, so it could have been him.
    SDD is SuperDutyDiesel. He was driving a 2006 F250.
    SDD thread link.
    I managed to get my truck stuck pretty bad, pretty much layed frame on the gravel in the river when the tires dug there own holes. I completely ruined my stock rims, the rocks tumbled around them when they were spinning. I busted the valve stem off one of them, but there was enough air in there to make it out and change the tire.

Crumm, you were talking to my brother on the SDD. His truck, my boat. He sugar coated the "stuck time" pretty good by saying only 20 minutes. We had that bad boy stuck for a looong time. I forgot all about launching. We tried launching in the main spot, but couldn't get the boat off quick enough because water started coming in his cab. We moved down 100 yards or so where it was a little deeper and launched from there. We should have re-loaded back in the main area because we already knew it was soft where we launched from.

I did find that the boat is plenty light enough empty (w/ 40 gallon tank full) to push off the trailer when it is dry. Just takes a couple of determined individuals. *edit* I couldn't do this with the old boat/trailer because of the carpet rails. This one has plastic. *

After we got out, and I got warmed up, I was doing one last walk around the truck when I noticed his valve stem cap was missing. I pushed on it lightly and heard air coming out, so we changed the tire before we had any more issues. We were ready to hit the road and then got smacked with a quick tire fix, and we ain't no nascar crew either. It probably saved him a tire though.

If we get a chance in Fairbanks to meet up, I could fill you in some more on the Ivishak. We've also been talking about doing a Pike trip around the Dall off the Yukon, but scratched the idea this year with the water levels. Next year I'd like to do that and a spring bear hunt. The chop on the Yukon looked like no joke this year when we crossed over the bridge.

Also, like my brother said on SDD, the Predator is a new one, I just sold the '04 175 I had and moved up to the 200 horse optimax. Great re-sale value, I sold it for 2 grand less than I bought it for back in '04!

few more photos in photobucket.com under AKNIMROD in hunting album
    I can not get anything from this site. I do a SEARCH and it states no such *critter* by AKNIMROD. Do you have a *link* you can cut and paste???
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

roger not sure why you are having problem you usually know your way around puter stuff
    http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/AKNIMROD/

crumm-
    is Yamaha 160hp an inboard???? the guy i saw had inboard.

long extention sags some but jack was there to allow us to step on it with out sag. like your set up will show it to my son and have him set mine up similarly thanx Pat

Default One That Got Away

SON TOOK THIS PICTURE DURING 3 HR CRAWL WHEN HE WAS PINNED FOR A WHILE. GOT BORED AND TRIED PHOTO THRU BINOCS

I go to photobucket.com and enter aknimrod in the search and get nothing. Your link on the otherhand works fine

crumm-
    is Yamaha 160hp an inboard???? the guy i saw had inboard.
    Yes it is. 160hp Yamaha Jet-drive that turns something like 10,000 rpm. Yamaha puts them in there sport boats. The Jetcraft XS that has the Yamaha is a down-sized version -17' long. The standard XS is a 21' boat with a 200 hp Mercury SportJet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Crumm, you were talking to my brother on the SDD. His truck, my boat.
    After we got out, and I got warmed up.

If we get a chance in Fairbanks to meet up, I could fill you in some more on the Ivishak. We've also been talking about doing a Pike trip around the Dall off the Yukon, but scratched the idea this year with the water levels.

Also, like my brother said on SDD, the Predator is a new one, I just sold the '04 175 I had and moved up to the 200 horse Optimax.
    He did mention that you had a mild case of hypothermia from the boat drive. Get a heater installed in that bad boy and zip up the top

Would be great to meet up and chat about the river. I talked to a guy tonight at the Yukon Bridge and he mentioned that the Pike fishing up the Dall wasn't much good from the high water levels this year. The river did calm down and is now nice and smooth.

I really like my 200 Optimax. Much better engine than the 175 in my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast