Thread: 8,5x63 Reb

Default 8,5x63 Reb

Here is a round you guys may be interested in. I just started messing with the 8,5X63 Reb round in my Blaser R93. Here is a picture of my fireforming load.

This load shot at 2525 FPS and was very mild.

Here is a picture of a fireformed loaded round.

Here is a picture of the typical group size I was getting.

I am still very early in my load developement and will keep posting my future results. All together I have fired about 150 rounds in this cartridge and it is very consistant round so far.

Hey Ron,

That looks like a 338-06 AI with a short neck. Heck I don't even know what an 8.5 caliber is! What, it looks like maroon ballistic tips so it must be .338? Hmmm! I think you are well along in your load development from looks of the target. Try pushing the target all the way out to thirty yards and see what you get.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by corjack View Post
    Here is a round you guys may be interested in. I just started messing with the 8,5X63 Reb round in my Blaser R93. Here is a picture of my fireforming load.

This load shot at 2525 FPS and was very mild.

Here is a picture of a fireformed loaded round.

Here is a picture of the typical group size I was getting.

I am still very early in my load developement and will keep posting my future results. All together I have fired about 150 rounds in this cartridge and it is very consistant round so far.
    With that short neck, it looks like the way Gibbs would have made a 338-06.

Is the bullet in your loaded round (second pc) canted slightly? May or may not be, but in my experience long ago with a 6.5 Gibbs, runout was a persistent problem unless you were really careful, so I may be over-tuned to the issue.

It may just be me but doesn't the top of the neck look out of kilter compared to the bullet in that BT picture????

Quote Originally Posted by theONE73 View Post
    It may just be me but doesn't the top of the neck look out of kilter compared to the bullet in that BT picture????
    Nah, it is just bad hilly in the ozarks.

The brass I was using was RP 30-06 I had picked up over the years and I should have trimed them after fireforming. 35 Whelen brass are supposed to work the best, and I have 250 of those now.

See if these look a little sraighter to you guys.

The closest thing I could describe the round as is a 338-280 Reminghton AI

that explains a lot LOL!!!

Default throating

Looks like you have a lot of freebore and a nice long magazine well. What kind of rifle and barrel are you using. Yeah, trimming after fireforming usually works best, the brass tending to squirm a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    Looks like you have a lot of freebore and a nice long magazine well. What kind of rifle and barrel are you using. Yeah, trimming after fireforming usually works best, the brass tending to squirm a bit.
    It is one of those R93 Blaser thingy's. The 8,5x63 is a factory chambering.

Here is a group I shot this morning using fireformed 35 Whelen brass and a more apropriate Alaska bullet weight.

[/IMG]

It the way the ammo is lit that makes the ammo look out of square. A fill flash would have made the picture look right.

The neat part (for me) was the lack of powder burns on the paper.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson