Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you keep flies off the meat?

Default How do you keep flies off the meat?

How do you keep flies off the meat?

I thought this thread may come in useful for others.

Lucky for me I will be done with the meat I have hanging.

I could not for anything keep the flies from my meat. I coated the bags with pepper and I also sparyed lemon juice all over them. The bags were doubled too. No matter what there was still flies all over them and getting eggs on the bag. and sometimes in between and to the meat. Luckily the meat itself was also skinned up.

Lots of trimming and a strong constitution went a long way.

I stored my last two moose in a cool basement and did not have any fly problems. This time they were hanging outside and kept cool with protection from rain.

So lets hear the tricks to keeping the flies off because I sure dont know what keeps them off.

Default Fans

Other than a quality game bag, the only other thing we use when we hang meat in the shed are fans. We set up 3-4 fans close to the meat and set them on high. Little buggers can't fly in a hurricane.

I've switched to all heavy duty (thick cotton) game bags and I'm bring a lot of citric acid for this next hunt. My biggest concern is ventilation around the meat, or lack there of. I don't know if this will be the cure all, but I do know that the flies will not be blowing their eggs through the bags like they can do with those porous, condom style bags.

Hate flies! We use old sheets now, larger and finer then cheese cloth, clean the critter as best you can do, then swab the inside with vinegar and wrap the sheets, tie around legs and neck etc., once and a while spash a little vinegar around the area...for what ever reason its a turn off for them.....desertdog

Default flies

i have seen some nice meat just covered/infested in flies. Not a pretty sight. i like the vinegar idea! Just learned that one. i will have to try that.
    also, Try pepper. cover the meat with pepper when you hang. Flies don't like that either.

Hit on my biggest complaint about moose hunting...for real, why have the season before snow falls?

I use good game bags soaked in citric acid as a pre treat, then make sure there is plenty of salt and pepper around.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default citric acid

citric acid will keep flys away. After a recent hunt we tried citric acid on one bag and not the other. The flys never touched the bag with out citric acid. After a couple min we sprayed all the bags and did not have a problem with flys.

The moose I was blessed with on the 5th had very little fly issues. Once back to camp I hung the quarters, ribs (no bags) and trimmings (in Alaska Mill and Feed poly bags) then started a smudge pot. The meat hung for two days. I just fed the pot every once in a while. Great crust on the meat and one patch of eggs the size of my pinky nail. The weather helped- a breeze and 60 degrees.

Do you guys only spray the citric acid on the meat bags or is it alright to spray the meat too.

Default vinegar & pepper

Alaskamountaingirl hit it right on the money. When we were homesteading, we hung the meat on a crosspole outside without bags. We thoroughly sprayed vinegar all over the meat and then rubbed raw pepper all over it. Never had any fly problems. Of course, we usually got our meat when the weather was about 40 degrees and lower.

Intersting stuff.

Like I said I rubbed the meat with raw ground pepper and squirted the bags liberally with lemon juice. I used the whole bottle. It did not do me a bit of good. The bags I used were doubled up Alaska game bags.

What kind of citris juice?

--

I had the meat hanging from a swingset and a tarp draped over and left each end open so the breeze kept it cool. What did work the last day was putting a pile of smoker chips on the ground and letting it smokehouse.

Larry Bartlett has some good meat care information on his forum including evaluations of citric acid, etc. I'd like to try his TAG bags next season. They look like they would prevent flies from blowing. Anyone here ever used them? I wholeheartedly agree that flies really, really suck.

Default citric acid

Ralph
    Indian Valley Meats makes citric acid in small packs to be mixed with water. I know they sell it & have a few outlets here in town. Check sportsmens or walmart can't recall right now.
    Also I know others who have ordered it on line from other retailers in bigger quantites & cheaper prices. I don't know if there is a difference in strength of concentration or not.

Chisana,
    I have used the tag bags the last two yrs & haven't had problems with flies. But I can't say its do the bags as both times the animal was harvested in late Sept & the temp was below freezing at night so I don't think the flies were even around.

Do you think packing meat in pillow cases would ruin the meat or be any more helpful that game bags for flies or would the lack of ventilation be the bigger problem there?
    Loving God, Loving People, Loving America--Serving All Three

Never really had an issue with flies as the temps have been too low for them to be active.
    Moose get hung in a smokehouse with a light smoke going if there are bug problems.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter83 View Post
    Do you guys only spray the citric acid on the meat bags or is it alright to spray the meat too.
    I usually soak then dry the bags before the hunt, then spray the meat and bags again as they are hanging. Its ok to spray the meat, I've never had a progblem with then. Once the crust forms, it gets trimmed off.

meat hanging question: is it ok to transport the meat straight to the butcher? or should it hang first and get the crust?
    Johnny

I was taught to hang it for a few days or more. Having said that I made arrangments to have a butcher cut any game I might get this year if I dont have time to do it my self. He suggested that I bring it straight to him without hanging If possible because there is less waste. Hes also had many years of expierience butchering game so Im going to heed his advice and see what happens.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

LOTS of black pepper.. i rub it right on the meat and use the largest canvas bags i can get.. and tie shut over the meat. the flys wont bother it for the first few days.. i used 2 of the big bottles from sams last year. it was 70 deg when we got our moose the flys were all over us as soon as it dropped i put the pepper on as we skinned and they left us alone.

Is there any adverse effect to the meat in spraying vinegar directly on it? We have used lots of black pepper, lemon juice, and liquid smoke. Along with using sheets it has worked awesome.....the vinegar would just go alot further.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast