Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 375 H&H questions...

Default 375 H&H questions...

Okay, I was on a guide gun kick (45-70) but my buddy is attempting to talk sense into me by getting me to go to a .375 H&H for an all-around rifle. He said the 45-70 is good at many things, but a .375 is better at all the same things a 45-70 can do. So, I'm not a hunter but in our selection of Alaska arms, we do not have a high-powered rifle that can do double duty as good medicine for bears (protection), although we do have a short 12 ga specifically for bears, but also provide a reasonable measure of success in getting game; moose, caribou, whatever, so that's what I'm leaning towards if things ever get to the point of having to provide our own meat.
    1. Never shot a 375; how's the kick with heavy bullets (store bought) compared to a 12 ga?
    2. He says the .375 H&H round is available just about anywhere in Alaska?
    3. If buying a new rifle, what's the lowest cost stainless model?
    Thanks,
    Jim

Big Jim,

I've spent many days afield with the 375 H&H and taken many animals with it, near and far. I've also shouldered my share of 45-70's both at maximum performance levels and those loaded to more sane ballistic levels. There is no doubt the 375 is a superior all round rifle than the 45-70. Heavily loaded 45-70's may be more effective up close in a need to stop situation but generally the 375 can do all any load for the 45-70 can do and everything better where we need to reach out beyond up close ranges. The H&H ammo is plentiful and available all around the world and is loaded by every ammo company in the world today except the small custom shops and some of them make it. The 375 with a 300 grain load in a good bolt action rifle will have more managable recoil than any Guide gun with a heavy load of the 45-70. The guide gun will kick more when loaded to these so called bear stopping levels than the heaviest 375 H&H 300 grain load.
    However if you insist on only the cheapest model you may be disappointed with either model. There is really no contest here, your buddy is right, get the 375.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Murphy...

Thank you for your opinion & advice. I should add that I'm not out for the cheapest gun, but just a good, all around rifle, not custom. Out of the major companies, whose gun in that caliber would you suggest? Do the guns from different manufacturers in that caliber differ in magazine capacity? Also, since I like the idea of stainless steel, is it better to get a composite stock to go with (do they transmit more recoil than wood?)?
    Looks like I'm headed for .375 country! Any recommended reading on this caliber? Pretty new to shooting overall and kind of interested in learning all I can.
    Thanks again,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Thank you for your opinion & advice. I should add that I'm not out for the cheapest gun, but just a good, all around rifle, not custom. Out of the major companies, whose gun in that caliber would you suggest? Do the guns from different manufacturers in that caliber differ in magazine capacity? Also, since I like the idea of stainless steel, is it better to get a composite stock to go with (do they transmit more recoil than wood?)?
    Looks like I'm headed for .375 country! Any recommended reading on this caliber? Pretty new to shooting overall and kind of interested in learning all I can.
    Thanks again,
    Jim
    Go to the differnt auction sites and look for an Interarms bolt action in .375 H&H. Try them all. gunsamerica, auction arms, gunbroker. That is the perfect way to go for the money. You need to look for used rather than new.

Or something like this.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...=108246119#PIC
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I love my .375 and you won't need to spend a pile to get a very servicable rifle to boot.

For the H&H look at the CZ- nice rifle and pretty affordable. Remington has an import .375 as well as a 700.

You might check the Ruger Alaskan or African in .375 Ruger- these can be found for about $800 or so and are pretty much ballistically identical to the .375 H&H.

The .375 is suitable for everything on this continent and a better bear rifle hasn't been invented in my opinion.

Default cheapest stainless .375 H&H...

Cheapest stainless .375 H&H I've seen is a Savage. They sell them at Sportsman's Warehouse for around $650. IMO, though, they are too light for the caliber. Unfortunately, there aren't too many stainless versions out there. I'm in the market for one too. Should have bought a Winchester M70 stainless before they stopped making them. I almost bought one for $700, but figured I should concentrate on supporting my new family for a few years before I bought it. Well, now you can't find one for under $1200, and they aren't making the new ones in .375.

As far as I've seen, only Savage, Remington, and Browning make reasonably priced stainless .375 H&H's. Kimber is supposedly making one, but retail price is over $2000.

Ruger makes the Hawkeye Alaskan, but as mentioned, it is in .375 Ruger, not H&H. But I recently had a bad experience with one of these, so I won't recommend it, or any other Ruger for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by c04hoosier View Post
    Ruger makes the Hawkeye Alaskan, but as mentioned, it is in .375 Ruger, not H&H. But I recently had a bad experience with one of these, so I won't recommend it, or any other Ruger for that matter.

I was wondering if you'd care to share your bad experience with the Hawkeye with the rest of us. Just tell us what happened to the gun...not the people or politics involved. Thanks
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    1. Never shot a 375; how's the kick with heavy bullets (store bought) compared to a 12 ga?
    Thanks,
    Jim
    My vote would be buy both! Can you have too many gun in the safe?

That being said, a 375 H&H will serve you well. I would rather shoot my 375 H&H than my 300 win mag. SHe kicks, but it is not the sharp kick of the 300. Compared to my mossberg 12 loaded with full strength Brenneke, it is a breeze. My old model 70 is quite a bit heaver than the mossberg though. I have a friend that has the savage and likes it for what it is. It shoots well, carries well, and well, she barks out both ends. Probably not a sweetheart to shoot off the bench, but in the field it is not an issue.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Another option for a .375 stainless

While the Winchester Mdl. 70s have gotten expensive the other magnum calibers are much less expensive -esp. the .300 Win Mags. I picked one up for $600 and swapped the barrel and magazine box to make it into an affordable .375 H&H.

Like the CZ the last Mdl. 70s in the standard magnum calibers is a true H&H length action - not a machined out '06 length action. The controlled feed is almost a big factor for many hunters - if you have a .375 H&H you aren't just target shooting but going after some nasty stuff that bites back.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default Ruger Hawkeye troubles

Murphy,

The main problem I had with my Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan was that it would sometimes fail to feed the top round from a fully loaded magazine. It didn't matter if I baby'ed it or if I slammed the bolt as hard as I could. It was overly sensitive to how that top round was positioned. I could usually prevent it while loading carefully, in a well lighted area, not under any sort of stress or hurry, but I just couldn't trust it under field conditions. For some reason, once in awhile, the rim of the cartridge would slide under the bolt and allow the bolt to go forward on an empty chamber. Either that or the bolt would wedge against the midsection of the shell still in the magazine. Well, I sent it back to Ruger for them to fix it--not once, not twice, but three times, and they never did fix it. Finally, when I sent it back the third time, I just told them I wanted a refund and included a copy of my original receipt. I haven't gotten the money yet, but talking to the folks at Ruger, I believe they are actually going to give me my money back and turn my rifle into scrap metal.

Default So...

I gather from the previous info that a gun (in this caliber) that is too light is a detriment to your well being? I definitely don't want to be "gun shy" and afraid to shoot a rifle that knocks me on my rear, but if compared to a 12 ga, I think I can handle it.
    Also, if a gun is too light, does that hurt accuracy? What kind of weight would be acceptable but not overbearing? Maybe I'm focusing too much on the stainless steel aspect too. After all the good replies & advice, I'm really thinking I want one.
    Pete, you're right about not having too many guns, could be a 45-70 is down the road!
    Thanks,
    Jim

Jim,

You can take my model 70 for a test ride this next summer if you have not purchased one by then. There are some nice beaches in the Sound that would fit the bill, followed by a feast of shrimp. Sound like a plan?

Pete
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by c04hoosier View Post
    Murphy,

The main problem I had with my Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan was that it would sometimes fail to feed the top round from a fully loaded magazine. It didn't matter if I baby'ed it or if I slammed the bolt as hard as I could. It was overly sensitive to how that top round was positioned. I could usually prevent it while loading carefully, in a well lighted area, not under any sort of stress or hurry, but I just couldn't trust it under field conditions. For some reason, once in awhile, the rim of the cartridge would slide under the bolt and allow the bolt to go forward on an empty chamber. Either that or the bolt would wedge against the midsection of the shell still in the magazine. Well, I sent it back to Ruger for them to fix it--not once, not twice, but three times, and they never did fix it. Finally, when I sent it back the third time, I just told them I wanted a refund and included a copy of my original receipt. I haven't gotten the money yet, but talking to the folks at Ruger, I believe they are actually going to give me my money back and turn my rifle into scrap metal.

OK, I think I remember somthing about that from you or another post. That is one of the problems they had with them that had what I guess is a service bulletin out on it. My guess is that your problem was something different form the proposed fix. That's to bad and it is such a pain to send a gun back even if Ruger does send a prepaid shipping label.

Well, luckily Sportsman's shipped it back for me, free of charge all 3 times. But yeah, it was still a pain. Just the fact that I bought the rifle in Feb and still haven't completely resolved the matter. The worst part of the whole deal is that I lost faith in an otherwise well-respected American company. I won't buy any more Rugers after this. I will keep my Redhawk that I already had, but that's it.

Default I'll say it

Since no one has said it, get the Remington XCR 375 H&H. Good fair price with accuracy and dependability.

Default or the Remington

Model 700 .375 ultra mag. I am not saying you need this caliber but you can find them in stainless and it is a great caliber and cartridge. One of the most accurate rifles I have ever shot with .270 grain barnes tsx in it.

Default HH

Lighter than 3" turkey loads. Heavier *but not much* than dove loads. Keep in mind, recoil is subjective for most of us - I've never measured recoil by anything approximating a scientific standard...

I haven't been everywhere in AK, but I've found 375hh ammo most places that sell ammo. 338 win mag may be the only other round as popular.

Lowest cost as others have said is the Savage. I have owned a Browning, and now own a CZ. My 20" CZ weighs 9lbs with a scope. If you want to meet up at the range sometime, drop me a line and you can try it out.

Thank you to everyone that's offered their opinions/advice! Looks like the .375 is the way to go for me. Pete, I believe I'll take you up on your offer! Amazing how much time flies!
    Jim

Since you are not going hunting with it I'd get the Marlin Guide Gun .45-70 in stainless. The GG is so much lighter, shorter, and handier to carry than any .375 H&H. I have both the .45-70 and the .375 (and .416 Taylor, .458 Lott) and if I just need a protection gun when I'm in the bush, I feel the .45-70 with Buffalo Bore or Garretts is very adequate for the need. Also the price of the GG is half or more of any .375 H&H.

Quote Originally Posted by rainydayhunter View Post
    Since you are not going hunting with it I'd get the Marlin Guide Gun .45-70 in stainless. The GG is so much lighter, shorter, and handier to carry than any .375 H&H. I have both the .45-70 and the .375 (and .416 Taylor, .458 Lott) and if I just need a protection gun when I'm in the bush, I feel the .45-70 with Buffalo Bore or Garretts is very adequate for the need. Also the price of the GG is half or more of any .375 H&H.
    I agree if you are looking for a bear gun for protection only,You would probably be more satisfied with the 45-70 guide gun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast