Thread: How do I tell if my powder is still good?

Default How do I tell if my powder is still good?

I was going through my reloading stuff and ammo this weekend. I have not handloaded for about 20 years. I have several cans of powder that are opened and have been that way for these 20 years.

How do I tell if they are still good?

Thanks
    Jdub

Quote Originally Posted by jdub View Post
    I was going through my reloading stuff and ammo this weekend. I have not handloaded for about 20 years. I have several cans of powder that are opened and have been that way for these 20 years.

How do I tell if they are still good?

Thanks
    Jdub
    Put a spoon full in and old pie pan, take it out back, touch a match to it. If it burns fast? Load a round up and test fire. If the powder was stored in a cool dry place it should be good to go. If it's old surplus military tube powder it is questionable no matter how it was stored.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Open the can and take a good whiff. If it smells acrid, its no good. No acrid smell then it is still good.

...in addition to a very strong acidic odor, there may be bit a rusty looking dust as well. Either indication or both together is a reason to either burn it in small amounts or toss it on the flower garden.