Thread: Becoming a Hunting Guide

Default Becoming a Hunting Guide

I am getting ready to finish college and have been thinking about what I want to do after I graduate. I have always loved hunting and guiding friends and family. Lately I have had thoughts of becoming a guide after I graduate and try doing that while I am figuring things out. And I know you have to do a few years of working under a guide before you can get your license. So i was wondering what everyone thinks would be the best way to do those few years. I have tried to hook up with guides during hunting season but have not had any luck. So if anybody knows of any guides that are looking for someone to help pack things or help out around camp I would really like the experience. I would really love the opportunity to see what guiding is all about and get to see it all first hand. The down side is that I am still taking classes at UAF for the next year. This fall I will have Friday through Mondays off. If anybody has and contact information or ideas let me know.

Try the Alaska Professional Hunters web site I think you can place a free ad. You also be able get contact info for outfitters.

I once thought about becoming a guide, like a lot of outdoorsmen probably have, but I have wondered over the years if the job is what a lot of people think it is.
    It costs a lot of money for guided hunting, and it is therefore probably fair to say a big part of the job is catering to a well-to-do crowd, who are probably pretty demanding.
    Then It appears there seems to be a lot of politics in this business, and I get the impression that guides/business get preferential access, treatment ($$$) that the average hunter doesn't have. I love to hunt and be outdoors but I'm not sure I would want to exclude other hunters from what I consider to be everyones natural resources.
    In Alaska I understand non-residents are required to hire a guide for bear hunting, while residents do not. This sounds like politics to me, if this practice is justified as a safety issue the argument doesn't wash in my book, being a resident doesn't make a hunter any more qualified. If someone decides to hunt dangerous game, they are taking a chance on getting et, that's all there is to it for me
    Having said that I'm sure there are lots of good guides and happy customers, it will be interesting to hear comments from other hunters

Seldovia, alaska

The reason for guides for BRN bears , sheep and goats is because non-res. tend to wear synthetic clothing and it seems to cause digestive problems in the bears and when strewn down rocky mountains they won't bio-degrade and tourist complain about the unsightly appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by hiline View Post
    Try the Alaska Professional Hunters web site I think you can place a free ad. You also be able get contact info for outfitters.
    I also think that option is worth trying for you,many guides post there if they need guides/ help etc