Thread: Shooting Sticks

Default Shooting Sticks

Since I've survived starting a couple of threads with my hide intact...

Anyone wish to comment on walking/shooting sticks? I've become obsessed with finding a good combo of the above. Figure some of you folks have come up with some pretty sharp inventions. I'm not a big fan of ... go to the store and get the box, as least for some things. Guess that's why I reload? Anyhow I'd like to hear some suggestions.

Default leki bipod

I use Leki trekking poles... Will not go out with out them. They have proven their worth time and time again. I can't count the times they saved my butt from being wet or even worse...

I use this stuff called velcro tape. It is a strip of velcro that can wrap around and stick to itself. (bought it at Michael's)... I put a 8-10" strip around the shaft of one pole... If shooting sticks are needed I use the strip to wrap the two poles together "in a X". WHA-LA a bi-pod is built.

The leki poles are adjustable for kneeling, squating or standing. If I'm going prone I don't use the sticks I'll use my pack or whatever is handy.

IT's stable, compact and light...

I picked up a chunk of bamboo on a beach about 25 years ago- a washed up pole for a halibut flag. I served each end with seine twine to keep it from splitting, and have been using it ever since.

My problem with trekking poles (and I have a couple of different models) is that they aren't tall enough for all my uses as a shooting stick. The bamboo pole is at tall as I am, so I can use it standing fully upright, or simply grab it at a lower point if I'm sitting or kneeling.

I figure I have about four cents worth of seine twine tied up in a tool that's better than store bought.

I just use the stoney creek colapsable cross sticks, they are great for hunting, lightweight and are easy to stick in your back pocket while folded up. You could make some but these are so good and reasonably cheap. Othersize two wooden dowels with a wing nut and bolt also make good cross sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebear_78 View Post
    I just use the stoney creek colapsable cross sticks, they are great for hunting, lightweight and are easy to stick in your back pocket while folded up. You could make some but these are so good and reasonably cheap. Othersize two wooden dowels with a wing nut and bolt also make good cross sticks.
    I have a set of those, too. Mine extend to a little over 65", which is perfect for this short Alaska hunter

Default ... sticks

Thanks Folks,
    I'll look into the options mentioned. I really like hiking with a walking stick so like to have something to do double duty.

Regards

I love my set of the Stoney Point Hike-n-Hunt combo sticks. They are actually a set of walking sticks that you can use one as a mono stick for shooting or the screw into a yoke for a complete adjustable pair of shooting sticks....... http://www.stoneypoint.com/hikenhunt_index.html

Default Stoney Point monopod

Check these out. I ordered one from Cabelas years ago. I use it all the time and love it. It telescopes for standing or sitting and is a nice walking stick.

The one I use is (A) the two section Expedition Monopod

http://www.stoneypoint.com/monopod_index.html