Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rainbow and Dolly draggers upper kenai

Thumbs down Rainbow and Dolly draggers upper kenai

Those of you know who you are. My wife and I saw way to much of it yesterday on the river. There is no need to drag those fish up the bank, pack their gills full of dirt, yank out the hook and kick them back to the river. To the yayhoo who looked at my wife and told her no biggie they will survive. Your gonna get some bad fish Karma. Even after offering our rubber net my wife caught alot of flak from 3 different groups. She was trying to explain to them how to take care of the fish but they could give a Rats ^%$. Some of us truly relish the upper kenai and have been fishing it all our life and will be fishing it for the rest of our lives. If you dont wish to take care of it you will hear about it from the wife on the river every time. Just once in a while Id love to see the feds there enforcing the rules. Ok I needed to vent so thanks for the ear
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default relax

you shouldnt stress about things you can not change.

Default A pic and comment

It is a trophy fishery and should be protected and treated with respect. If everyone treated fish with dissregard then the whole river would go to pot again. Oh and here is a nice little bow around 24" that the wife caught. Reds are bedding up but not to many eggs in the river at all. Caught some on 6mm and 10mm beads. Only 2 dollys the rest were bows
    Last edited by alaskachuck; 11-19-2008 at 20:27.

You SHOULD stress about it, and do what you can when you can to change those guys behavior. Try to do it with a good attitude, but standing by and saying nothing is akin to condoning thier actions. Or maybe we should all just "relax" and let the idiots of this world wreck it for all of us

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mn_man View Post
    You SHOULD stress about it, and do what you can when you can to change those guys behavior. Try to do it with a good attitude, but standing by and saying nothing is akin to condoning thier actions. Or maybe we should all just "relax" and let the idiots of this world wreck it for all of us
    Agreed! Let them know its wrong. Maybe the people June told didnt listen, but maybe someone else heard the conversation and thought: "that gal is right".
    Maybe they felt they were being ridiculed at the time, so they did it just out of spite, but the next time they're out, Im sure it will be in the back of their minds.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Default Thumbs up...

Chuck & wife; to the guy who said "relax", are you nuts? You must be joking.
    Taking the time to educate people to take care of ALL the dang fish, no matter if you're keeping them or not, was exactly the right thing to do.
    That kinda crap makes you wonder what kind of person the offenders really are. Actually, that's not true as common sense people would not respond critically or stupidly so those folks' actions spoke more truth than any words could have.
    On our last day fishing reds on the Kenai, we caught & released 2 reds and after I saw how much trauma the fight causes the fish to endure, we quit and went home. I felt bad that it took so long to get them to recover enough to swim away; held those fish in the current, just about froze my hands! One of them swam away, but then kinda drifted downstream with the current, not sure if it made it; that made us pack up & go.
    My point is to be considerate of our surroundings and what nature has provided for us to enjoy, not abuse it.
    Jim

Smile We were just trying to help

June approached them very nice and did speak with them kindly. Out of the 3 groups one gentlemen did practice what she told him. he did thank her. The other guys around 10 total just had bad attitudes. They were grippers, rippers and draggers. If I did not know better it looked like red season the way they fought the fish let alone handled them. Now she was not so kind when she got back to the boat and me. Good god she used words I dont hear come out of her mouth very often to describe what was said to her. The one thing she knows is how to handle fish. We do pride outselves on taking care of the river and its resources. We were just trying to help out but some people just dont see it that way. Either way I will do it again and again hoping that it will sink in to them. As much as we are on the river i can say I have not seem them before though. Still it is no excuse. Anyway trout fishing is starting to pick up but I was amazed at the lack of reds. No carcasses yet on any of the bars and no piles in the river. Eggs should be dropping soon so the bite should pick up.

Chuck
    Just do what I do. I let them know that they will get a sizeable fine if the fish cops see them doing that. I usually go over to them after they have released their fish and say "dude if the F&G guys see you do that you'll get like a $150 fine. They don't want the fish removed from the water and they're pretty militant about enforcing the regs here". I then let them know how to handle and release the fish so they don't get a fine. 95% of the time they thank me and change their practices. Approacing it this way makes them think you are doing them a favour rather than lecturing them.

Did you call the cops and report it? They can't stop it if they don't know about it.

Call the cops, that's what they get paid for.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Hey Chuck,

I realize you're venting, but you do know that those types of people aren't likely to be hanging out here.......Right?
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    Hey Chuck,

I realize you're venting, but you do know that those types of people aren't likely to be hanging out here.......Right?

Yea I know that. With the fall bow fishing heating up though I thought id put the word out here for those heading down. Just to keep a extra set of eyes or two on the river. Im down there next weekend then from the 16th through the 28th of september. Im sure this will not be the first or last time I see this. Most of the people though take care of the fish and take our offers to help or use our net. Im surprised how many people dont know how to take care of them and most are very receptive to seeing and learning how to handle them properly.

I've observed that when there is an abundance or even the illusion of abundance people start treating the resource with contempt. When these guys get home they don't think of themselves as the kind of guy who would kick a trout just for not being a salmon. Something about seeing all those fish together puts the zap on their brains. It's a real shocker when you've been stuck in fairbanks all summer and would wade through hot coals to be able to catch dollies. Ken Abrams likes to say "teach a man to fish and he'll curse you for not giving him a fish"; around here he may curse you for giving him the wrong one.

There's no excuse for how those people landed and released the rainbows. But it's a fact most people are going to feel their space is being invaded when a stranger comes along and lectures to them about how to fish. Yes, they're breaking the law but so is someone who throws a banana peel out their car window. Would you roll down your window and try to tell the person that the peel is considered litter and what would've been the best way to dispose of it? And you have to consider that a lot of people don't understand the importance of a rubber net and/or don't have a budget that allows them to spend 40 or 50 bucks on something like that. (Yes, I realize that's still no excuse for not using forceps or pliers to shake the hook free w/o removing fish from water).

I think Drifter had the best advice as to what would be the best deterrent to future mistreatment of landed trophy fish.... In a nice and nonchalant way tell the violators what the fine range is. I think the only other possible option would be to spend x number of hours sitting around waiting to videotape the illegal activity and then turning the tape over to to ADFG. Would ADFG actually try to find and fine the guilty parties? I kind've doubt it but I guess a lot would depend on which warden received the tape.

How did comedian Ron White put it?

"You can't fix stupid!"

In this case, it's more like:

"You can't fix inconsiderate"

I've learned there are some people you aren't gonna change. The confrontation isn't worth the elevation in blood pressure.

Default Big difference...

Quote Originally Posted by UplandHuntsman View Post
    There's no excuse for how those people landed and released the rainbows. But it's a fact most people are going to feel their space is being invaded when a stranger comes along and lectures to them about how to fish. Yes, they're breaking the law but so is someone who throws a banana peel out their car window. Would you roll down your window and try to tell the person that the peel is considered litter and what would've been the best way to dispose of it? And you have to consider that a lot of people don't understand the importance of a rubber net and/or don't have a budget that allows them to spend 40 or 50 bucks on something like that. (Yes, I realize that's still no excuse for not using forceps or pliers to shake the hook free w/o removing fish from water).

I think Drifter had the best advice as to what would be the best deterrent to future mistreatment of landed trophy fish.... In a nice and nonchalant way tell the violators what the fine range is. I think the only other possible option would be to spend x number of hours sitting around waiting to videotape the illegal activity and then turning the tape over to to ADFG. Would ADFG actually try to find and fine the guilty parties? I kind've doubt it but I guess a lot would depend on which warden received the tape.
    ...between pitching a banana peel and executing a fish to continue C&R. Also, many people try to do the right thing in releasing fish as painlessly as possible without a rubber net and dehooker (which is hard for me to say as someone philosophically opposed to C&R) . At least they try, and it is a far cry different than someone yanking a fish from the water, kicking it back into the water, then repeating the performance over and over. Such people have no respect for the resource, the creation, or other fishermen. They are self-absorbed.

Again, did anybody report it?
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

after i got off the river i did tell the feds. There is not a whole lot they can do without seeing it. But yes it was reported

Talking greaat

Fish and game Hah.. . it was nice to NOT see them yet on the river this year and id like to keep it that way. They like to bother me so much, and yet im the guy picking up beer bottles that other jacks left to float down the river. They waste their time on the wrong people to waste time reporting stuff. I do agree with drifters way of putting it to these types...but thats definently not what would come out of me if i saw that on the spot. man... i dont think this forum would allow me to present my standpoint towards these one-day-per-year fisherman ********s. Chuck as much as im on the river i dont know if ive seen your cat around yet.. but i just wanted to say thanks man and most of all thanks to your wife for making a stand! i cant respect the kind of people that can do that and none the less....sit back and watch it. either way good stuff and oh yeah... the bite is Definently picking up ......so go away!

Default They should outlaw

catch and release. If you catch a fish over 6" you eat it. That would end the poor release methods. After all why would you go fishing if you did not want to eat fish.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

Do you eat the wolves you kill. Out law catch and release...LOL. Your not gonna stop them by outlawing it.Theres plenty of things outlawed now,and it doesnt make a difference. I think talking to them and or reporting them is the best thing to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast