Thread: Scouted Jims creek yesterday

Default Scouted Jims creek yesterday

Not many birds...cold weather needs to come quick..about 200 out around swan lake, leaf lake and the creeks beyond...Does anyone know where the creek to the left of swan lake goes to?(when you enter swan it is on the left and borders the little strip of land. You can miss it if you dont know about it) I ran this for a couple of miles and turned aroun. just seems to go on and on but has to end somewhere. on and off..divers...widgeon. mallards and even saw a few swans and teal. Big birds mainly and never saw one goose. Not sure where they are but heard they hang out along Coffee point. might have to make a run out there this week and see what it looks like.

You wont see many geese in Jim Creek just flying over. The creek goes back to a pond right next to the hill and then runs out. Did you happen to check on my cabin when you were out at swan lake. I was up at Jim Creek about week and a half ago saw lots of mallards. I be at my cabin for the first week of the season stop by and say hi.

Other than the lawn geese in town the geese you mainly see at the end of September are all coming in from the upper Su and further to the west. Not many around here since the mid 1990's when they started killing them off in the summers through egg picking and moving gosslings over to the Su flats. See the AWACS memorial on base for why the USFWS keeps the goose population down in upper Cook Inlet.

The only canada goose I have seen in Knik that was shootable was one stuck in with a swan family. Someone eventually shot it when it lagged behind the off limits birds.

Once a season you can count on snow geese flying over at about 1,000 feet and circling the lakes. Cranes will be up there a little higher on their way through the mountains to Cordova.

What you are reporting is typical for this time of year for the Knik swamps. There are more birds there than what you see. The grass is full of them, but most boats can't get into it far enough to get the birds up.

Several years ago when the midwest was bone dry as well as Canada it was a differenct story. Blue winged teal and lots of gadwall were up here trying to find some water. Haven't seen a gadwall since Alberta got rain a few years ago.

Hey Skybust, do you have any room in the cabin on sunday night? My back is feeling better and I might make it out afterall.

Default Cabin

Sorry ray looks like the cabin will be full might have one open bed of the Jim the other owner doesnt make if back from Bristal Bay but last I knew he was going to be back.

Default Jims Creek

Yeah,,we jumped tons of birds in the back waters as we were walking around moose hunting..thinking of doing some jump shooting as well if we can not get out limits through decoys etc. Still going to be an awesome moring waking up to decoys splashing, smelly dog, wet waders, cold hands, duck calls blowing, cupped wings, whistling wings, then BAM!!! feathers floating down softly landing upon the waters edge. How sweet it is,,,God I love this Now I know why I can not haul all 300 decoys sitting in my storage out there. Forgot how many I had...told the wife if another box shows up from Cabelas or I come home from Sportsmans...to slap me and tell me to take them back

You can never have too many decoys. I catch a bunch of crap from the guys I work with when I tell them I bought another box. They just don't understand.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Just touched up some of my decoys...Ready for Monday!!!!!!!!!!
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK