Thread: Jims Creek hunting

Default Jims Creek hunting

Went out yesterday and did some scouting/fishing. Went to leaf lake and swan lake. Not many fish holding up in there yet...must be in the creek..saw numerous schools of silvers moving up and a few reds spawning on the lakes edge..but nothing like two years ago.

A few ducks but not the numbers we are use to at this time of year..not sure what mother nature is up to..but need cold air from the north and fast.

Saw one cow moose on the ridge and walked about two miles along the mountain range looking for bear or moose...Heard a bear grunting in the grass and then realized that we were upwind of him...tried to circle around and get downwind of him but he hit a creek coming down from the mountains and we lost him. Making all kinds fo noise..never heard this before (woof, woof) had just watched the DSC Channel Dangerous Encounters the night before and dont recommend going hunting after that...LOL) but you could hear a pin drop in those woods...my ears and eyes and sense of fight or flight was at 100% when this squirrel busted through the grass about 10feet in front of us...scared the R$#$%out of us and almost turned it into little bits of fur just for that reason alone....

Not as many hunters out there as expected. probably waiting on the rut t kick in.

Great day on the water with the kids though.

Default upwind

I'd rather be upwind of a bear myself, if not hunting said bear. That way they know you're there. Better then catching 'em by surprize.

Cool Jims creek experience

Good place to drop a cow if you are lucky enough to draw one. All the bulls are way off the beaten path, far from the bustle of the ATV trails.

Jim Creek is tough hunting, and I'm talking about the creek and swamp itself not the surrounding dune area. If you are lucky enough to find a legal bull, chances are it's standing in two feet of swamp water completely surrounded by......you guessed it.....two feed of swamp water.

Default Hunting jim creek

I have been doing some practice landings back in the knik area and have seen 2 legal bulls, not one of them have been near a ATV trail, I took my boy back in there on our 4 wheeler during the spring and ran across 6 bait stations. Honestly, it is a dangerous place to hunt. One day we were cruising down a travel and some morons were target shooting if you want to call it that with the trail right behind the bullet path. We stopped and told them off and not within another 20 minutes 2 other smart people were shooting there again, and this time a couple of kids walked out within 20 yards. One should have to wear hunter orange around there just to let everyone else no they are shooting guns. Just to crazy, if you want decent hunting go 35 miles GPS from the parking area.

Terry

Default Bulls

Yeah,, it can be crazy..why i figured if I could make it past wolf point or fridays creek I should be good to go. Have heard that if you take that trail to the left of the glacier and follow that draw back there the valley opens up and it can be good bear and moose hunting. I have been back there bear hunting but never saw anything..sign everywhere though. I have also came across bait stations out there and by the time you stumble upon them you hope you never do that again...two years ago we found a black bear back there and come to find out he was on a bait station.

Tons of idiots out there shooting in all different directions..definetly got to be careful.