Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats up with the new SJX Sportjon?

Default Whats up with the new SJX Sportjon?

At the fair this year Craig was telling me all about the new SJX that is supposedly a upgraded SportJon. I just visited Phantom Jetboats web site and found that Aztec(Phantom) does not build the SJX.

On there site it says:
    Quote Originally Posted by Aztec
    SJX is not a product of Aztec Fabrications, Inc. The only Phantom models we build are the "Sport Jon", "Sniper" and our completely new "Elite". Two former dealers of ours have chosen to throw-in with our ex-employee and sell his boat, as a supposed Phantom upgrade. This boat is anything but an upgrade. This boat is only a Phantom clone, built with stolen ideas and represented with stolen trademarks. He calls it a "SportJon Xtreme", but the only thing Xtreme is the level he and his crew will lower themselves to for personal gain. Knockoff or knockout ....your choice.
    Guess the Sportjon is done here in the interior? Wonder what will happen with service on all the ones out there?

So, there's gonna be guys out there paying premium price for knockoffs, huh?
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Very interesting.....Looking at compeaus website, he does not advertise anything but the SJX. He does not sell anything phantom!! I wonder what happened??? Is anyone else in the interior going to take on and start selling phantom now? The boat shop should sell the phantom sport jon and the extreme shallow

Quote Originally Posted by fk 107 View Post
    Very interesting.....Looking at compeaus website, he does not advertise anything but the SJX. He does not sell anything phantom!! I wonder what happened???
    "Two former dealers " seems to say it all.....
    I'm guessing they were given a choice.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

do not know what he is up too..... did you guy's see the new spray on bottom???? what hapend to the 3m glue that held on the umhw??? sounds like that did not work that well ???? so will this work

And yes we will work on some of there boats........

Quote Originally Posted by EXTREME DUTY View Post
    do not know what he is up too..... did you guy's see the new spray on bottom???? what hapend to the 3m glue that held on the umhw??? sounds like that did not work that well ???? so will this work

And yes we will work on some of there boats........
    The SJ's I've seen at Alaska Airboats say the glued UHMW just doesn't work. I wasn't impressed with the SJ's UHMW or the bottom's ability to take a hit at all! Some SJ owners must be desperate, I've seen the lead times to repair the bottom of this model boat.

I wonder how the trademark issues will play out in this. I have to say that although I did not by either of my boats from Compeaus, I would hate for a local company to take a bath on a legal battle. I always thought it was a joint venture between the two companies, but I got that impression was from the Compeaus website. Aztec sure seems pretty put out over the issue. Anybody know what this will do to the maintenance costs on all those Phantoms out there?

As an 08 sj owner, I was concerned. Talked to compeau, and here's the skinny from him.

Phantom/Aztec had 3 owners. 1 split off (the guy with the vision and direction), the other 2 created Phantom Jetboats, LLC. Craig teamed with the first guy to split. They created the SJX. It will be the only sport jon that he will sell from here on out. He has been doing tests with it all summer and is putting out a new DVD this week some time.

As far as the UHMW-There were 10-15 boats that got a bad batch of the 3M glue at the factory. The rest are apparently ok. We will see. Got 30 hours on mine with no problems so far.

Compeaus will service and warrenty all Sportjons that are out there today.

Strange that if they are selling a totally new boat that they would need to steal half the name of the Phantom and the other half from the XS and then sell it as a "Upgraded Phantom" when in fact it is not. At the fair this year I was led to believe that the SJX was a Phantom and now I feel that I was seriously misinformed by Craig himself. This new boat may be a great unit(we know the Sportjon isn't)but I don't think they have chosen to represent themselves in a very professional manner.

Quote Originally Posted by MARV1
    So, there's gonna be guys out there paying premium price for knockoffs, huh?
    I was told $40k+ at the Fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Extremeduty
    Did you guy's see the new spray on bottom????
    No but he told me about it at the fair. Is there information or picture on the net? At this point I am not sure that I can believe what they say but it is my understanding that a local company is spraying on the coating but it is still under testing. If the coating works out I wonder if the local company will coat used boats? I think he called it something like "lizard skin"?
    I am wondering if Compositech are the ones doing the coating as they are the leader in the high performance coating industry. From the Compositech site "POLYUREA Spray-on Elastomeric Coatings: Polyurea coatings are a two-part plural component coating system. Polyurea is applied with a specialized gun at over 3,000 psi. Dry time is amazingly fast (approximately 30 seconds) and can be applied smooth".

Default Crumm??

Why isn't the sportjon a good unit? Interested in your thoughts on it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Why isn't the sportjon a good unit? Interested in your thoughts on it. Thanks.
    Bottom is too light..

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin
    I wasn't impressed with the bottom's ability to take a hit at all! I've seen the lead times to repair the bottom of this model boat.

Default fair enough

I guess that is fair enough. Wish my bottom had a bit more thickness to it. I can honestly say that for the money spent, I would buy another one of the phantom 20-06 that I have. I am sure they would be alot more than when we bought it, but it has withstood some serious abuse, runs like a raped ape, and hauls some impressive loads. Did I also say that 2 guys have no problems getting one off a bar etc. There is no way that and xs is going to be "shoved" off of a bar by 2 guys. I do like the comfort of the xs and said if I was going to buy an all around boat, that would probably be the one, but for my use, just like anyone else, the boat I have works just fine and if I had one wish, it would be for a tougher bottom on it.

There is no way that and xs is going to be "shoved" off of a bar by 2 guys.
    You need to find tougher guys Saturday night me and a buddy were goofing around trying to go around the wrong side of a gravel bar and over it. Three successful passes and two failures(I need more practice) - the two of us "shoved" the XS back in the water from being high and dry twice - this was with one young guy in the boat(guys that don't want to push forget there boots-dang kids). Thicker bottom = Heavier boat but I think it is worth it. I have a bow mounted winch for tougher extractions which also adds weight but some things are mandatory equipment.

Wonder what the new misrepresented SJX weighs? I was told it does have a thicker bottom than the SportJon. I would have to see it on the scales to believe the weight now that they have already used bad tactics in advertising.

Default Crumm, maybe the xs

that I know was too heavy! I couldn't push it back off the trailer for goodness sakes! I guess I should have eaten my wheaties that morning! Glad to hear you could get it off the bar with 2 guys. I've put the sportjon on a couple of gravel bars and we were high and dry and it dented the bottom up a bit, but nothing that is going to hurt it. I guess avoiding hitting bottom might be the best medicine for keeping the bottom of the sportjon okay. I can't say anything bad about the xs as I think they are an impressive boat. Just always wondering why people say the sportjons are not good. I can understand the bottom, but I am hoping on every trip that I don't ever hit bottom, so won't have to worry about that part. I am hoping to plan a trip with my brother in laws xs and our phantom. SHould be fun and interesting!

...so I guess we won't be seeing Crumm sporting a new SJX anytime soon...lol.....(me either..)...I think I have my next boat picked out...nothing 'sport john' about it....lol...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I couldn't push it back off the trailer for goodness sakes! I guess I should have eaten my Wheaties that morning!
    It is tougher to get the boat off of carpeted bunks than it is to get it off a gravel bar. I put UHMW caps on my trailer bunks as I was tired of sinking the trailer to get the boat off. Carpet under Aluminum is better than super-glue. Wheaties won't help when it comes to getting a XS off of carpeted bunks, only UHMW caps or deep water will get it unloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by tjm
    so I guess we won't be seeing Crumm sporting a new SJX anytime soon...lol.....(me either..)
    Not with the way they are misrepresenting it. Whatcha thinking about getting?

Quote Originally Posted by Crumm View Post
    Whatcha thinking about getting?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTyWmeO3388

the vid about summs it up...I like the orange one......but the blue one would be all smiles as well....can't think of many places I've taken my XS that these boats couldn't get to....they just get there A LOT faster.......probably burn just a touch more fuel than the XS though.......
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    can't think of many places I've taken my XS that these boats couldn't get to....they just get there A LOT faster.......probably burn just a touch more fuel than the XS though.......
    I figured that was what you were thinking about. I think you could go some places in those(steel bottom)that you can't go in your XS or I should say that you can go but not without damage. When aluminum hits a boulder at high speed it seems like damage occurs(I think you have experienced this first hand ) I know our boats will run shallower without touching but with a bottom like those have who cares about touching or even hitting. Just not sure where I would pack my 4-wheeler and a few moose in one of those?

I figured that was what you were thinking about. I think you could go some places in those(steel bottom)that you can't go in your XS or I should say that you can go but not without damage. When aluminum hits a boulder at high speed it seems like damage occurs(I think you have experienced this first hand ) I know our boats will run shallower without touching but with a bottom like those have who cares about touching or even hitting. Just not sure where I would pack my 4-wheeler and a few moose in one of those?
    ..lol...yeah the moose wouldn't be an issue...hmmm, the wheeler?...you just might have to tie a rope around it and drag the thing on step up the river.......do the make trailers for boats?.....lol
    pull my finger....

At this point I am not sure that I can believe what they say but it is my understanding that a local company is spraying on the coating but it is still under testing. ".

yes Vertex is doing it........

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast