Thread: Diff questions about shipping gear/guns

Default Diff questions about shipping gear/guns

I have four bags ready to ship. 2 of them have been packed to the brim and everything had to go in a certain way. How can I stop the postal service from doing some kind of inspection like opening them up? If they do they will never get them closed again. Im afraid of what will happen to my gear.

Another question - When shipping long guns within the state of Alaska do you still need to address it to yourself?

Yet another - Can you ship Ammo within the state USPS? If not what if say one of my bags had a box of ammo crammed in somewhere in the middle amongst a bunch of other gear. How would they know? Without opening and searching I mean?

Thanks for any replys.

Default careful

You could be asking for big trouble about not saying anything on the ammo. I was told by them once that if you send it priority they don't or are not required to inspect.

Ammo is not allowed by mail period. Some if not most bags that fly can be xrayed. Post office will not open mail to inspect unless something arouses suspicion. Mailing ammo is a Federal offense.

Default I sold some ammo

Once online, and sent it by one of the shippers, DHL, and it never reached the buyer; I was told that a scanner picked up the ammo, and they set it aside for inspection, and it "became lost". I've researched this some, and apparently it has to be packaged very specifically, declared as ammo, and have an ORM-D sticker on it to be legal with UPS/DHL, don't think Fed-Ex will ship it. The post office is not going to mail it, and if you don't tell them, it's a federal violation. Oh, and don't try board a commercial plane with a stray .357mag round in your carry-on......gulp (my dumbazz move of the decade).
    Don

Time to unpack it and remove the ammo. Postal service X-rays packages that are mailed.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Paranoia sets in....

P.O. no longer needs warrant to open Priority thanks to GB and "Patriot Act".

P.O. isn't going to open your bags to inspect.

www.batf.gov
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default why aren't you just checking it in

I've mailed my gear ahead of time to various AK locations.....I just check in my ammo with the rifle.....done deal!

Default they make it tough

Thanks for all the replys and NO I definetly dont want to be commiting a federal crime Im just trying to see how things work. YES i do need to dig out that one box of ammo it seems. My problem is the connecting flight in Anc is only a 45 min window to the next flight and coming from the C gates to the L gates. I just know my baggage wont make it. It's my bad luck. Guess I gotta though unless they sell the ammo I need in Aniak.