Thread: Strength of the Blackhawk frame?

Default Strength of the Blackhawk frame?

I was wondering if I could get some feedback on the strength of the Blackhawk frame. I have been thinking of picking one up in the .45 Colt. I was just curious about the durability of the gun. I would not be shooting anything with insane pressures, but usually work up to the max manual load for whatever handgun I reload for. Probably be shooting heavy cast bulllets. Is the Super Blackhawk in .44 mag a stronger frame? Any help on this would be appreciated.
    Last edited by alaskamace; 08-23-2008 at 19:47. Reason: spelling
    ..."Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions." - G.K. Chesterton

The Ruger old style (pre 1972) and the new style with transfer bar safety, are about as strong as it gets. The new style having better heat treat than the older models but you can load both to magnum pressures. The Super blackhawk has the same cylinder frame as the blackhawk just better polish and blue. You can load the 45 Colt up quite a bit and in the manuals you will find loads specifically for the stronger guns such as the Ruger blackhawk. About 20 grains of any of four different powders will launch a 325 grain hard cast at about 1200 fps. It is possible and many do exceed those numbers. You're on your own there and there is no advantage of exceeding that velocity with 300 plus grain bullets. You can get cast bullets to higher velocity than jacketed at the same pressure. Powders for a full case with these bullets would be H110, W296 (actually the same powder) Lil'Gun, and my favorite for the 45 Colt, H4227. I routinely load the 280 to 325 grain bullets to 1200 fps from a 5 1/2" barrel with H4227. I adjust the load to get the same velocity for all to keep the same point of impact. Slower loads strike higher on the target.

Do not attempt to load the new style, light weight Vaquero up to these levels, they will not take it.

The 45 Colt is a grand old caliber and deservingly so. It has stayed with us for so long for good reason. If times were hard and I had to choose only one big bore revolver, there is a strong possibility it would be 45 Colt.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk

The Superblackhawk has a steel grip frame and ejector housing so it weigh is a bit more meaning less recoil. The cylinder is also a bit thicker than a .45 LC so theoretically it can be loaded to higher pressures. .44 Mag ammo is also more readily avalaible than hot .45 LC if you ever need to buy any or don't handload.

I have the Super Blackhawk with the fluted cylinder but I think they only make it in one barrel lenght - 5 1/2"? - but not sure why. I personally like the fluted cylinder but for no real reason.

On the other side a larger heavier bullet is always better.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

You already have the tech stuff from the other guys, so I'll simply say I am currently packing a Blackhawk in 41 mag with a 4.75" barrel & love it. It's light & compact so it's much less likely to get left in the truck or camp when I'm bowhunting. I've been carrying it in a "Sourdough Pancake" holster with a 3rd belt slot so I can carry it cross draw made by "Simply Rugged", & I simply forget it's there.
    I'd probably like one in 45 Colt even better.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

northern n.y. and much of the eastern U.S.

Alaskamace, look for an atricle written by John Linebaugh on the strength of the Blackhawk...pretty impressive

Default It'll do fine

If you stick to published data, you'll not likely run into any problems, other than looking for a better set of grips! Seems to me that the Super Blackhawk also has a longer grip frame, and larger panels. With the longer barrel and additional weight, it's a bit easier to shoot.
    My own Blackhawk .45 Colt is an absolute joy to shoot. Didn't take long to figure out that I don't need to go balls to the wall to get good performance, and with cast bullets at around 950 fps, it's about like popping off a .38 Special! Neat gun! Shoulda had one years ago.

I read where White's Lab. did tests on the blackhawk frame and blew it up after 60,000 cup pressure...amazing

Frame or cylinder? Typically it's the cylinder that blows, and then takes the topstrap out of the frame.

My 4 5/8" 357 blackhawk is my favorite handgun, and now that I taylor throated it to remove the barrel constriction it finally shoots. Just need to finish up my tune up.

Everything I have heard of the blackhawk is they are all very strong.

The 45 colt can handle anything the 44 mag version can.

The only guns that are stronger are 5 cylinder versions but I would go with a 454 casull if I wanted to load that high.

A 350 at 1200 should be easily doable.

I was shooting 293 grain bullets at 1275 in my 4 5/8" 41 mag blackhawk.

---

I have been thinking of getting a 45 colt blackhawk myself. I think $440 is a bit expensive for what they are asking around here.

Then I found a 45 colt/45acp version for $498 and it got me to think maybe that if a guy used it for 10 years what will that come to 50$ a year. That is not much.

I can't remember much about the article other than that high cup pressure failure...I think it said Failure...it was written about the .45 colt and either Taffin or Linebough wrote it...I'll try and find it later and post it fer ya...I bought a NMB .45 colt/.45 auto a few months ago and will replace the grip frame with a brass one....Just bought a NMB stainless steel .45 colt that I'm tuning up a bit with custom parts and a possible cylinder throat job...I have 4 .45 colt Rugers....
    Here is the article on pressure: http://www.customsixguns.com/writing...g_the_myth.htm