Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question from a Marine

Default Question from a Marine

Me and a buddy have been dreaming of the day we could get to go to alaska (as a civilian) and somehow a relative contributed enough airline miles to fly us both out there and back(from NC).

Im looking to tag me a Black bear and possibly a wolf and maybe some fishing. Im working out a deal for a cabin around bryers creek. Whats the hunting and weather like around late september?

Any advice?

Default Black bear

Do you mean Byers creek? Let me know. Sent you a PM.

Misher
    I wish this old Marine could help you out. I live in MN though. There are a ton of great people here to help you out. September in AK for fishing should be great. tourists like me are gone and you should have it to yourself. Good luck on the hunt!
    Semper FI

Default bou?

If caribou would be of interest, I know some places where you could possibly bag one and get in some incredible fising for dolly vardon. NW Alaska. It may be better to do a float trip (raft) for this. You can rent the raft and other gear of course. May be hard to do this September as there are lots of folks doing this. May be hard to rent a raft and secure bush flights on such short notice. If and of this is of interest, shoot me a pm. And welcome to the forum.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Byers Creek might have some good rainbow fishing in September. There will probably be plenty of bears...both blacks and grizzlies.

There might be more than you are comfortable with so make sure you are well armed...all the time.

I have fished for rainbows in Byers and I'm not sure if salmon spawn there...but if they do the bears will probably still be around. I know Troublesome Creek which is not far south of there has plenty of bears around.

Check the hunting regulations. http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/regul...pdfs/gmu13.pdf
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

I have personally a .338WM, marlin .45-70, springfield xd .45, and a raging bull in my cache.. im fairly comfortable around bears and It is no big deal If I have to hump it into the sticks ten miles to get a good spot, or shot. Being in the 03 field and just coming back from the Marine Corps Mountain Warfare training center in Bridgeport Cali. my fitness level is probably the best it has ever been. But I want to get my logistics straight before I head up there, because nobody knows better than yall.

Default Byers area

General moose season ends September 20, so after that the hunting traffic will die down significantly. I think the later you go the better because the leaves will be dropping about that time, and visibility will improve a lot. The area is fairly thick with trees and brush, so right now you can not see very far.
    The weather can be sunny and in the 60's or dreary overcast with rain or snow. I have seen it both ways in that area in late September. In fact it can go from one extreem to the other in a day. Bring good rain gear and plan on layering. Avoid cotton clothing. Fleece and synthetics are the way to go.
    Byers Lake is a popular campground in the area. It will have lots of empty space then. There are also private cabins in the area to watch out for. You should not have to make any kind of death march to find bears. Get a good topo map of the area before coming.
    You can get the regulations online. Be sure to study the regs for your area. Also be sure to know the difference between a brown and black bear. Either one can be brown. Grizzlys can also be very dark, especially if they are wet. I have eaten black bear from that area, and it was very good. They do not seem to be into the salmon as much as other areas.
    Good luck,
    Patrick

I have experience in the extreme negatives in the high sierras but I didnt know what the average would be that time of year. I always have the goretex and polypro handy.
    I just downloaded some good usgs quads of the whole kesugi/curry ridge area.
    How big do the blackies get around there, and what are the odds of tagging a wolf? I have hunted coyotes, they are clever creatures and im thinking wolves are just as smart.
    Yall are tremendously helpful, thanks!

From what I have read I should have all I can ask for in the troublesome creek area?

Also what would you do....

A: Get a cabin and hike daily out to hunt.

OR

B: Use a tent and stay in the backwoods until filling my tags? (saves me 400 dollars)

Default Trick question

Depends on your priorities I guess. If your indeed serious about maintaining your mobility carry your camp and go where the winds take you.

If your wanting creature comforts and a good chance at game.....enjoy a cabin and the sights and sounds of Alaska.

Use a tent and stay in the field. As for wolves, most wolf harvests are incidental when someone just happens to come across one. The average hunter will not see a wolf on most trips into the field, so I would not count on it.

Looks like im going to be in the field like my instincts were pushing me to do! As of now looks like its going to be the last week of sept. I should have confirmation of that tomorrow. Now to find a cheap rental car in anchorage..

Default gear

hey one other thing you might be able to do is get gear you might not have or dont want ot by at outdoor rec on fort ritch or elmendorf. you could give either place a call and find out what they go tents, campers, packs, fishing poles so you dont have to buy or bring yours. well good luck just an idea since i am also military and use some of there stuff.
    matt

im planning on taking a 30-06 as our designated takedown rifle and a lever action .45-70 as backup, is there any cheaper means of getting to byers lake from anchorage than renting a car for a week just to use it for 2 days?

You could hire someone to drop you off and pick you up, if I were going to be here i'd gladly help you out but I'll be busy chasing rut crazed bull moose. You mentioned something about bringing goretex rain gear, I would suggest against that as I know a little bit about military gore tex rain jackets. As brushy as it is in the Byers Lake area and with all the rain we have been getting, you will be soaked in less than 2 hours. Do yourself a favor and get some good rain gear, something like Helly Hanson Impertech has always worked well for me.

Thanks for the rain gear suggestion, ill check some out.
    Anyone willing to he hired to drive two fellers and gear to byers lake from anchorage airport?

Quote Originally Posted by misher View Post
    Thanks for the rain gear suggestion, ill check some out.
    Anyone willing to he hired to drive two fellers and gear to byers lake from anchorage airport?
    you might wanna post that question on the general discussion forum as well, so people who don't access the hunting forum, but might drive the Parks highway, see it also.

Good luck on your trip and your hunt.

Also what are some hidden costs i am bound to run into, sealing?
    When I am ready to leave, do I have to leave the hide with someone to tan it before they will let me ship it or can I ship it and tan it myself at home?

Also being that the bag limit is three. If I am so blessed as to get the opportunity to take two within a couple days time? Ive been looking all over the reg's and havent found anything. Thanks!

Sealing doesn't cost anything as it's a requirement by the ADF&G. You don't have to leave the hide here but you need to make sure it is properly fleshed and salted, the airlines really don't like bodily fluids leaking on their aircraft. If you plan on shooting more than 1 bear you will have to buy a tag for each. Good luck.

You shouldn't have any problems taking a black bear by going up Little Coal Creek or Ermine Lake trail. Backpack in to the top of the ridge and work it from north to south. There are always black bears in there. I know several people that have shot wolves that are scavenging bear carcasses. You just have to be patient and sit on them for a couple days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast