Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: rocks in Fairbanks

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    520

    Default rocks in Fairbanks

    Anyone know of a good place to go collect rocks in the Fairbanks area? (free ones preferred) Thanks.....Louis

  2. #2
    Member COtoAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Anyone know of a good place to go collect rocks in the Fairbanks area? (free ones preferred) Thanks.....Louis
    Hey Louis!
    Yes... if you drive up the Steese to 41 mile, there is a whole section of free rock that you can get up there. It was an old mining area and it's all run down and ghost towned out now and thats where we get all of our free rocks. (TONS of them!)
    In actual Fairbanks, the only place that I have found some decent rocks is over at Birch Hill, but that would mean you would have to hike in and hike out... or bring your 4 wheeler.

    Give hugs to the wife and boys for me! I sure do miss them!
    ~COtoAK
    Lurker.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    520

    Default

    Thank you! We went out to the Steese spot you mentioned yesterday and picked up a load. Nice rocks.

    The boys miss you too. You'll have to drop by sometime....Louis

  4. #4
    Member COtoAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Thank you! We went out to the Steese spot you mentioned yesterday and picked up a load. Nice rocks.

    The boys miss you too. You'll have to drop by sometime....Louis
    Awww... that made me feel all warm! I am going to have to bring some cliffbars and yellow smiling face stickers for the younger one.

    I am so happy to hear that you were able to find some good rock. My husband always tells me that next time we go up there, we are bringing up a bobcat and just loading the whole back of the truck. Our boys hiked up to the top of the hillside a couple of months ago when we went up there. Dangerous, but they are boys... and it's fun for them.
    You should take a picture and post it on the quality of rocks that you received from up there. I am glad that it was worth your drive. It's just so far out there and with these fuel costs... blah. Terrible.

    I'd send you a message, but my PMs are full. I'll post a message on your profile for your wife.

    ~COtoAK
    Lurker.

  5. #5
    Member grcg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    112

    Default hmmmm....

    I have only gone to find a little bit of rock (cobble size and bigger). I have gone to Chena Hot Springs road and pulled some rocks from next to the river - between Tack's and Chena Hot springs. (taking care not to take DOT's riprap!)

    You might ask this question in the mining section...i bet you'd get better answers there! I bet there are miner's that wouldn't mind you taking some tailings.

    Good luck

  6. #6
    Member COtoAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grcg View Post
    I have only gone to find a little bit of rock (cobble size and bigger). I have gone to Chena Hot Springs road and pulled some rocks from next to the river - between Tack's and Chena Hot springs. (taking care not to take DOT's riprap!)

    You might ask this question in the mining section...i bet you'd get better answers there! I bet there are miner's that wouldn't mind you taking some tailings.

    Good luck
    That's such an excellent suggestion.
    I know that the state of Colorado (CDOT) has issues when people stop on the side of the road and pick up rocks.
    Is that the case here in Alaska with DOT?
    Hm?
    Lurker.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    520

    Default

    Thanks, CO and grcg. We'll try to get some pictures. Yep, our boys love climbing up on the cliffs too. A little nerve wracking, but I guess a guy has to let them have at it at some point. I liked to scramble around like a monkey when I was a kid and somehow managed to avoid breaking my neck.

    CO, how do you reply to your message in the profile? Thanks!....Louis

  8. #8
    Member COtoAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Thanks, CO and grcg. We'll try to get some pictures. Yep, our boys love climbing up on the cliffs too. A little nerve wracking, but I guess a guy has to let them have at it at some point. I liked to scramble around like a monkey when I was a kid and somehow managed to avoid breaking my neck.

    CO, how do you reply to your message in the profile? Thanks!....Louis
    You have to click on the person's profile and there is a little dialogue box that appears in the center of the screen for a 'quick message'.
    Type your message and send it and it will appear on their profile. Sorry about not having my PMs available. I just never have the time to dump my PMs from it.
    Lurker.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •