Thread: Ammunition Manufacturing???

Default Ammunition Manufacturing???

For some time I have wanted to start my own Ammuntion Reloading business and was hoping to get some help from the members here on what it might take as far as licensing to get that going. Finacially and equiptment wise I am good to go, but do I need to get a FFL? Is there an Ammunition Manufacturing Liscence? If so how would I go about attempting to obtain one?

Thanks
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by idahotrophyhunter View Post
    For some time I have wanted to start my own Ammuntion Reloading business and was hoping to get some help from the members here on what it might take as far as licensing to get that going. Finacially and equiptment wise I am good to go, but do I need to get a FFL? Is there an Ammunition Manufacturing Liscence? If so how would I go about attempting to obtain one?

Thanks
    Adam
    You will need a class 6 FFL. You had better start thinking insurance right now. The NRA is really the only and cheapest source in most cases. You have to start with a look at the locale market, think about your time and travel costs to market. (gun shows) If you don't live in an area with a lot of gun shows, it's going to be harder for you.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Contact the IRS to see what the tax requirements are for starting a small business. They have plenty of information about the subject. Be sure and read all of it. The difference between a hobby and a business is only one thing after all, a profit motive.
    You will also need any local licenses that are required and a sales tax number in some areas.
    Consider forming a corporation, it will give additional protection of your other assets.

I believe that Mauserboy was once in this business, or maybe it was just commercial bullet casting..........

Anyway, send him a PM, he might have the info you're looking for.

Default Commercial reloading

I was in the commercial reloading business for years but it was in California in the 1970s so i don't know how it has changed, especially here. I will say that at that time the insurance was about $2,500 per quarter there and that was at the end of the "good old days" before California was spelled with a "K." I did most of the gun shows all over the state and the only reason I made out well was because I had a great in with several distributors and got my components for dirt cheap. My stuff was newly loaded at about 60% of what the other guys charged and I loaded many different calibers that weren't available from most loaders. I really don't know if you would have a good revenue base for the standard calibers, enough to amortize your initial outlay, as the cost of components, even in bulk is crazy these days, probably put you in the factory ammo range. But I wish you luck. Anything else I can help you with, just PM me.