Thread: Rifle Finish Opinions Wanted

Default Rifle Finish Opinions Wanted

Hey all,
    I just came back from a week long hunt and alot of it was in the rain. My blued Tikka T3 was well taken care of (before and during the hunt) but it ended up with little spots of rust on the reciever and barrel.

If you have comments on how to prevent this lemme know. I'm still learning and feel free to school me up.

Now for the real question.

After cleaning it up there is no pitting. The receiver cleaned up just fine with no blue issues. The barrell required a good bit more scrubbing and it took out some of the blue on the barrel. I just went ahead and took the blue off for the forward half of the barrel. The metal is in perfect condition but now I have to deal with the finish.

I don't want this thing to be so easily rusted. And since I have to redo the finish it might be a good time to put another type of finish on the whole rifle. I can reblue it at home but it's obviously not going to be as good as a professional. Is there someone in anchorage who does a more weatherproof finish that won't cost more than 150ish bucks that will seal this rifle up better.

I'm happy with cerakote and parkerizing. My co-pilot has been parkerized and after 10 years still dont have a rust problem, although its time to refinish it.

Cerakote is pretty strong and durable. My 9.3x62 has this. It hasnt been put to the test my marlin has but so far I am impressed.

Default Teflon

I have all of my guns done. Contact Lee at www.blackicecoatings.com. I had my Rem788 done and it is amazing. I had my slug gun done and will be sending my Weatherby Stainless Accumark to him shortly. You never have to worry about them again. Check out his web site. He does an excellent job and his prices are very reasonable. I'm in Palmer if you would like to see his work. Tell him Andy sent ya...

Cera-Kote is the best thing going and is very very tough.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

http://www.robarguns.com/precision_coatings.htm

Call this outfit, ask about Roguard finish. Let the worry go away forever. They do all the internals with NP3 and that makes the action slick. All of my users guns have this finish and none have shown the slightest abuse to the finish in over twenty years around and in salt water.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

A good coat of rustoleum primer has worked wonders for a duck/camp gun of mine for 25+ years. Don't over think, over spend the problem.

Default Arctic-Cote

Not sure of the spelling, but Gary Junk at Arctic Gun Works in Fairbanks does an excellent job with his style of everything proof Arctic-Cote. Tough stuff from an Alaskan gunsmith.

Default Rustoleum

For a go-to Alaska work rifle, I'll second the motion on a spray can rustoleum coating. Then you have the advantage of going with a camo appearance and you can leave the original finish intact.

Default weapon finish

I picked up my rifle today from the gunsmith and it is starting to look good. I think that the finish that he uses is called 'pro coat'. I chose the OD greem for this one and with the black B&C stock it looks sharp. I intend to get a matte finish scope to top it off. This is the third weapon that he has done for me. All are for being in the 'normal' alaska hunting weather. Just wipe them down and you are ready to go. I have had two 338 mags and one 45-70 guide gun done do far. One of the guys that shoots with us has had his 458 WM done and is getting ready to have tow more rifles done.

Default Coatings.....

I too use Black Ice Coatings. I have a picture that he used in his "testimonials". Absolutely great service and product. I live in Eagle River if you would like to see one of the rifles he has done for me. Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    Not sure of the spelling, but Gary Junk at Arctic Gun Works in Fairbanks does an excellent job with his style of everything proof Arctic-Cote. Tough stuff from an Alaskan gunsmith.
    Gary is also now doing the Cera-Kote finish. It's even tougher.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)