Thread: KenaiJay...

Default KenaiJay...

Please tell us the story about that beautiful ram!!!

Yes, please do. That thing is ridiculous!

absolute HOG!

Default Jay

I have put my hands on the ram killed by Kenai Jay. It is awesome, massive and everyone should be jealous. I can barely lay my pinky between the bases, less than half an inch of hair growing across there. Its one of those rams you can't stop looking at.
    Though he shot a giant ram, I told him he just earned third shot on an upcoming moose hunt. There is no doubt he will tell the story and post a pic. Congrats Jay, if you never shoot another sheep it won't matter.

Default WOW

So now you can tell me where you went:-) Congrats, it's now time to retire!!
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Default NO doubt about it,

that is a PIG! I would quit sheep hunting with something like that! (Probably not!)
    That is a WOWSER for sure! CONGRATS! Hope there is one like that hanging in the DCUA next weekend!

Default crossbreed??

That ram looks part bighorn!! I have never seen a dall that thick, it has got to be a new record. Good Job!

Default I agree!

What an awesome Ram! I would like to know the age of that guy. What a stud that boy was eh!

Hell of a sheep - congrats.

Default Fantastic!

KJ,
    Congrats on the ram of a lifetime, no make that 2 lifetimes! We want to read your story and don't forget to tell us about that Kimber.

Very nice job Kenai...

Default Hang on...

Thanks for all the kind comments, he is indeed a special ram.

I appologize to you all but I have to run tonight...I will tell you all a bit about the hunt tomorrow, so tune in;-)

Default Info

The sheep I was blessed to harvest this fall is a bit deceptive. A rough measurment he is 33"x14" and as you can all see, his MASS is incredible. I am sure he would have been B&C if he would have been in the 36"-38" class.

As for the hunt...It took place in a land near Narnia;-) I shot him on the 16th with my Kimber Montana 300WSM shooting 168gr, Barnes Triple Shocks. The distance, as some of you I am sure want to know...A whopping 23-34 yards for shot one! The second, due to the first being a bit far back because of seeing nothing but white in the scope, was at +/-18 yards while he had his head down coming straight at me...I thought "this is it, killed by a **** sheep!" The round (embarrassingly) went through the right horn, exited out the back and taking a small (Thank God) chunk out and striking him in the spine at the hind quarters. My partner said he wouldn't have beleived it if he hadn't seen it.

Why so close? Well, we were going after a group of three that were bedded. As we were nearing the finger they had been on, I spotted horn coming my way. I realized it was the big boy so I dropped and when I heard the clicking of his hooves I looked up and there he was

As for the age...I don't think anyone has counted him the same yet. I got 12,14,& 15...My friends and some guides I know had some of the same counts. F&G said 12+ His bottom front teeth were gone and/or worn into the gun line.

I will update you on an actual score in +/- 60 days!

Congrats to all who got a sheep this year so far and good luck to the rest of you!

Default My wife....

My wife hates you now. I was planning on just moose hunting in September cause she really wants a freezer full of moose meat. Now you have given me the sheep bug and I think I'm going to try to death march I mentioned to you when I saw you up at the Russian. Any chance you are going to bring that hog by so I can see it?
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Not even a hint to the range...well I am guessing Brooks. Anymore pics to share?

Smile

Okay KJ Ill bite. Please tell us the range for curiosities sake. (My bet is kenai for obvious reasons). What a beautiful trophy. I like mass in sheep more than anything and of course the most important thing about a trophy has nothing to do with the measurements. Its the experience of the hunt of hopefully fair chase in gods country enjoying the beauty. And I love the shape of those horns....congradulations!!!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Thumbs up What a awsome ram

KenaiJay, thats sure is a dandy!! Love the how the mass carries all the way through. Great job.
    My guess on where you got him is in the Wrangells.

I'll second the Brooks. Horns look lighter than the wrangells/chugach sheep that I have seen.