Thread: Dumb Zodiak Question

Default Dumb Zodiak Question

Ok, I've never played with inflatables before, so excuse my ignorance.
    I'm long term "borrowing" an older 9.5' Zodiak from my father in law. He had an old Johnson 6hp that I took home a while back & got running, & I intend to pair the two up (as I thought he had in the past). As I was looking the Zodiak over, I noticed that the transom is not attached to the side tubes, & it appears only the compression offered by the side tubes keeps the transom in place (it is attached at the floor). Is this normal? should there be something that locks it in place? My father in law doesn't remember ever having the motor on it (at 86 he forgets things occassionaly) so he's unsure.
    Oh,& is this setup big enough to go outpast Pony Cove & is a 44 mag a big enough pistol for bears
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Ok, I've never played with inflatables before, so excuse my ignorance.
    I'm long term "borrowing" an older 9.5' Zodiak from my father in law. He had an old Johnson 6hp that I took home a while back & got running, & I intend to pair the two up (as I thought he had in the past). As I was looking the Zodiak over, I noticed that the transom is not attached to the side tubes, & it appears only the compression offered by the side tubes keeps the transom in place (it is attached at the floor). Is this normal? should there be something that locks it in place? My father in law doesn't remember ever having the motor on it (at 86 he forgets things occassionaly) so he's unsure.
    Oh,& is this setup big enough to go outpast Pony Cove & is a 44 mag a big enough pistol for bears
    Do you have a pic? All of the Zodiaks I have seen have the transom attached at the sides and bottom. Doesn't sound like it would be too sturdy the way you are describing it. As far as the gun....so long as you hit it in the right spot. There have been quite a few stories of bears taking a couple of .44 slugs to the face and keep on trucking. I didn't have to shoot him but after staring at an 8ft tall grizzly on it's hind legs from 10ft away, I won't use anything smaller than my rifle if I need to fire. Looking at that thing and then looking at my handgun, well it's seemed way too small all of a sudden.

Sounds like the transom joint between the tubes has rotted away.
    A picture would be helpful.
    .44 on the hip is better than a 45-70 left in the boat.

Rob
    simplyrugged.com

I was kidding about the pistol & Pony Cove The pistol question was a standard joke on the handgun forum for a long time.
    Anyway, there's no sign there was ever a joint there which is what has me baffeled. No old glue or torn fabric. The rest of the boat is in good shape with no rotting.
    I'll try & get a pic.
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Older Zodiak

I've got an older 9 or 10' in the yard, I believe the transom mounts into contoured rubber pieces on each end and those in turn are glued to the tube, mine started to pull away from the tubes. I have the old Zodiak in the yard if you find out you have a need for them.............the raft is shot but you might have a use for some of the parts/pieces.

I should have noticed just who had posted:-)

RUN!! It's a bear/gun thread!

Seriously that Zodiac sounds wrong.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by leahy View Post
    .44 on the hip is better than a 45-70 left in the boat.

Rob
    simplyrugged.com
    A Blackhawk 41 mag in a "Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake" is better than anything in the boat! Sure enjoying that holster!

I need to deflate the tubes & take a better look at the boat. It appears the countoured rubber flanges Deepercreek mentioned are connected to the transome & not the tubes. There are no obvious old glue lines on the tubes, although you can see where the rubber flanges have been in contact with the tube. Strange.
    Like I said, I'll try & get a pic & set up a photo account somewhere so I can post it.

Deepercreek, if I was in the area I would sure take you up on the parts boat offer, but I'm in Kenai. If I head that direction soon I'll touch base with you. Thanks for the generous offer.
    Vance in AK.

I had friend had one, one time, and his had these little rods went down to the floor clipped in little brackets and up though the transom either side of motor held with washer and a wing nut. The floor we had No#ed installed while flat into these grooves. The one with the small brackets was last, stick stainless steel rods in bring the transom up secure, then pump up the raft around everything. was Pretty cool could fold that thing down to nothing shove right in the airplane.