Thread: real warm down jacket - which one to get?

Default real warm down jacket - which one to get?

I'm going to spend my first reallz cold winter in Minnesota, where the average temperature is about -4F
    therefore I wanted to buy myself a real warm down jacket, which I could also wear for snowboarding.
    So I need a high breathability, a high water column.

what else is important, which data of the jacket is helpful?

has anzone a concrete model advise?

thanks in advance!

nobody`s got an advice for a freezing guy?

Default Montbell

If you want quality and warmth, check out:

www.montbell.us

i'm partial to mountain hardwear and outdoor research. no specific model. all dependent on how much you want to spend. they also make down jackets with a waterproof membrane over it, but i don't suggest these as they don't breath well and when active you will sweat a lot under down. i don't suggest a down jacket for when very active like snowboarding. i have cross country skiied at 8 below in alaska and i wore a fleece with just a couple of layers underneath. for active pursuits i would wear a waterproof breathable layer, check out eVENT fabric, followed by layers underneath.

Smile patience

lots---and i mean lots---of the regular posters are out chasing critters now---repost in about 2 weeks and you will get lots of responses

lol - hopefully it`s not too cold in 2 weeks^^ so I want a jacket, that I could use for snowboarding as well. according to hre814s post a down jacket is not the optimal choice... what kind of membranes or materials should be involved? for what should i search in a jacket if it shouldn`t be just a mainstream winter jacket for normal temperatures? what makes the difference?

Default ID Dolomitti EVENT Jacket

This is what you want and then wear a fleece layer underneath.

I am not a snowboarder but I do a lot of jogging in the winter and its colder here in Fairbanks than down in Minnesota.

Sincerely,

Thomas

If the average temp is -4 then you might as well get a military parka, check surplus stores.

Default Down Jacket

I found a company web site: Altrec.com---They have anything that you may need for cold weather jackets

Robert

another suggestion i might make is if you are unsure, i would buy one at rei if you find one there that suits you. they have a great return policy if you don't like what you bought, return it at any time (with reciept or on your REI member number)

Down Jackets are really warm especially if you are doing any strenous exercise and if you get it wet from rain/snow/perspiration the down looses its loft and insulation qualities. I ski, snowshoe, backpack and so forth...... and did a trip to the Boundary Waters in Minnesota last February... anywho. REI outlet has some nice down jackets on sale now.... You might consider layering a l/s baselayer and a fleece while snowboarding and using your down in camp or while relaxing...

There are lots of reviews on down and other jackets here http://www.bdel.com/gear/tents_overview.php

Jason

jason, that was a link to black diamond's tent website

-4 isn't really cold, and snowboarding is a fairly intense activity so you don't need tons of insulation. Personally I like to layer, polypro base, fleece layer, then a wind proof outer layer.

For activities that you spend a fair bit of time standing around in the cold, then a down jacket comes into it's own. Say ice climbing and you're on the ground belaying.

Check out Sierra Trading post, they are always having deels on last year clearance items, often 50% off.

I picked up a Marmot 8000 meter parka in like new condition off a climbers forum for $200, not bad for $450 jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by hre814 View Post
    jason, that was a link to black diamond's tent website

Whoops.. my bad everyone http://www.backpackgeartest.org/revi...thing/Jackets/

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    -4 isn't really cold, and snowboarding is a fairly intense activity so you don't need tons of insulation. Personally I like to layer, polypro base, fleece layer, then a wind proof outer layer.

For activities that you spend a fair bit of time standing around in the cold, then a down jacket comes into it's own. Say ice climbing and you're on the ground belaying.

Check out Sierra Trading post, they are always having deels on last year clearance items, often 50% off.

I picked up a Marmot 8000 meter parka in like new condition off a climbers forum for $200, not bad for $450 jacket.
    You got a smoking deal Paul... that is a nice jacket.

jason