looked for Sako stocks and not having any luck unless I want to buy a $450
    McMillan. Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bill

Accidental double click...sorry
    Last edited by Murphy; 08-29-2006 at 13:29. Reason: goofed
    Feo, Fuerte, y Formal

Default 995

When you replace your stock you are going to nee new bottom metal the factory mtal is bedded in the stock and has to be replaced. as far as I know their are only two options, McMillian and Serengeti. Mcmillian is the cheaper option.

DR B

http://www.mcmfamily.com/

http://www.serengetirifles.com/

Default Cracked Stock

So Sako doesn't sell replacement stocks? Can I use the metal out of the old stock?

Thanks for your help,
    Bill
    Feo, Fuerte, y Formal

Default 995

The sako metal is molded into the stock. Why are you selling your 995 the action is one of the smoothes large actions out their. How much are you asking.

DR B

Default Sako

Quote Originally Posted by DR B View Post
    The sako metal is molded into the stock. Why are you selling your 995 the action is one of the smoothes large actions out their. How much are you asking.

DR B
    It sure is, but I replaced it with a Christensen Arms 338RUM and I'm selling this one with a Leupold VXIII so I can get a NF scope. I wanted to get $1000 for all but I didn't want to sell it with a flaw. I would like to have it fixed first. But I just called MPI Stocks and they confirmed what you said about having to take the sako metal out and put it in the new stock. I'm calling McMillan next.

Thanks again for your help,
    Bill
    Feo, Fuerte, y Formal

Default Sako TRG-S Stock

Bill,

The Sako TRG-S 995 is a very good rifle and McMillan does have a drop-in replacement stock with their custom bottom metal included. I have replaced the stocks on a couple of these rifles. The crack you described in your (now deleted) post doesn't sound serious enough to justify a $400 McMillan stock just to sell it. Even with the stock, the rifle won't be worth the $1000 you're asking, unless your scope is worth a lot. They are very good rifles, made as a budget rifle by Sako, for about three years around 1990, and they retailed for $699. I see many of them for sale on GA and other places for those prices but I don't know of any sold for that amount. I sold my 338 Lapua bedded into a McMillan stock, with scope mounts and lots of brass for $1000 and that took some time. I paid $600 for it new in 1996. They are worth more than that, since they were discontinued we learned how accurate they are with a good stock.

I would not consider that crack much of a flaw. I think it is likely the result of over tightening the front swivel stud and I would glue it together and bed the rifle in the existant stock. You would be better off to sell the rifle with the "flaw" described in detail, with the mounts, then sell the scope seperately. This way prospective buyers can decide how bad it is and how they want to fix. I don't think you can recovey the cost of a new stock.

Good shootin'.

Murphy
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Info

Murphy,

Thanks for your input. The crack seems to be a result of me tightening the bipod I had mounted to the stud. That is my best guess at least. I don't think I would have had any problem selling it at that price since I have a Leupold x.5x10x40 VXIII on it as well as a real nice port job done by Arctic Gun Werks. I just got off the phone with McMillan and a stock will run me $597 (ouch). So it looks like either I will sell it as you suggest with the crack or just keep it as a backup to my new one..

I really appreciate y'alls help and information.

Bill
    Feo, Fuerte, y Formal

Default Is that Sako TRG-S / M 995 still for sale ?

I would be interested in the Sako TRG-S / M 995 if it is still for sale. Charles Malloy. email@malloyfirm.com (214) 953-1583 .