Thread: What fish did i lose?

Default What fish did i lose?

This past weekend in whittier we were drifting inside of one of our favorite bays that usually produces some rockfish and tons of cod when all of a sudden my rod doubles over. I mean like completely bent to the point the reel was feeling like it was gonna come off from pressure (using a salmon pole)... Being I've caught starfish before thats instantly what I thought I was reeling up... but it came loose. About 2 minutes later my mom hooks into it too.. comes loose.

I go on to hook into the thing 2 more times and it always seemed to come off right before the surface... not like seweed either, like a fish that just came right off....

Another peculiar thing is that it didnt put up much of a fight at all... only felt it shake its whatever once out of all the times; anyone have any idea what this mystery monster was?

Also read somewhere lingcod can feel like a big weight or snag... and I had caught about a 16 inch ling in this spot before...

Default Lingcod

Sounds like a lingcod to me. Ive had them come up without a fight on my salmon rods and also have had the bend my halibut rods over and reel out some serious line on others. I fish big jigheads and have lost a few right at the surface, usually from a good head shake. They seem to be pretty thin around the lips and let off the tension and they are gone. Heading out tomorrow to slay some lings and hopefully will get into some silvers. Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    This past weekend in whittier we were drifting inside of one of our favorite bays that usually produces some rockfish and tons of cod when all of a sudden my rod doubles over. I mean like completely bent to the point the reel was feeling like it was gonna come off from pressure (using a salmon pole)... Being I've caught starfish before thats instantly what I thought I was reeling up... but it came loose. About 2 minutes later my mom hooks into it too.. comes loose.

I go on to hook into the thing 2 more times and it always seemed to come off right before the surface... not like seweed either, like a fish that just came right off....

Another peculiar thing is that it didnt put up much of a fight at all... only felt it shake its whatever once out of all the times; anyone have any idea what this mystery monster was?

Also read somewhere lingcod can feel like a big weight or snag... and I had caught about a 16 inch ling in this spot before...
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

I agree, probably a ling. I've been reeling up small rockfish no problem only to suddenly have the rod double over...then get it to the surface and there's a big ling just hanging on. As soon as they see the boat they let go. It's annoying, but they seem to use those big sharp front teeth to just latch on like a pitbull. I'm not sure what their strategy is...tire it out and then eat it? Had that happen numerous times, though.

Thanks for the input guys... figure it was either a starfish or a ling; if it was a ling thats just disappointing ... 4 hookups and I didnt even get to see the darn thing , oh well.. other fish in the sea

King crab will do what you describe, except for the fighting part.

Sounds like Mr. Ling paid you a visit..
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

If you diddnt reel it up off the bottom but felt it fighting and pulling it could have been an octopus. Ive reeled them up with a 40lb rock they were latched on to. Otherwise ide say it was a ling cod.

I was fishing 65-85 ft deep right in the entrace of a cove full of pinks.. never had caught anything big there; had caught a yelloweye and 2 copper rockfish, about 20 cod, 5 or 6 irish lords- one small lingcod ....
    Was fishing on the bottom with a herring jig... as I said it was just coming up like I was hooked on a snag because it didnt fight at all.. but it kept coming off near the surface and didnt just come free like from seaweed; it was a sudden snap and then bam the thing was gone..

I once reeled up a piling from Thumb cove in Seward. Never thought it would be something like that....fun stuff

Default Could also be a skate

A big ling is possible but I have never had any problems with them falling off. Im betting it was a skate. I caught one last weekend that I could have sworn was a rock I snagged off of bottom. Did the fish come straight up or did it drift with the current a bit?

my guess is octopus... but as they say, " you don't know what you don't know" ..<grin>
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/