Thread: Boss sweet spots

Default Boss sweet spots

I just had F16Pointy load me up some 300wsm's with Barnex Triple X 180 grain bullets. I was hoping that someone out here is shooting a similar setup so that I dont have to re-invent the wheel. I should mention that I have a new scope on as well, so finding the sweet spot and dialing in a scope can me a heavy chore. Thanks for any help.

Default BOSS Sweet Spot

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    I just had F16Pointy load me up some 300wsm's with Barnex Triple X 180 grain bullets. I was hoping that someone out here is shooting a similar setup so that I dont have to re-invent the wheel. I should mention that I have a new scope on as well, so finding the sweet spot and dialing in a scope can me a heavy chore. Thanks for any help.
    No offense Ronster but the sweetest spot for a BOSS is on the corner of a desk holding a pencil after it has been cut off! It looks especially nice if on the other side of the desk is a few inches of a barrel that was Magnaported

Quote Originally Posted by MagLvr View Post
    No offense Ronster but the sweetest spot for a BOSS is on the corner of a desk holding a pencil after it has been cut off! It looks especially nice if on the other side of the desk is a few inches of a barrel that was Magnaported
    Thats your opionin. I really like it, and thats all that matters. Now back to the question at hand...

I have a BOSS equipped .375 H&H, and the recommended sweet spots were of some help as a starting point. I suggest you start at the settings as posted on Browning's web site, and experiment from there.

With the 300 grain RN Hornady the spot is at "5"; with 270 Hornady spitzers it's at "1". At those respective settings I get 1 MOA with the 300's and 1.5 MOA with the 270's. Both settings are with the "conventional recoil" muzzle attachment.

A lot of the objections to the BOSS are about the recoil reduction feature. I have never fired my rifle with the recoil reducing brake, and I don't ever intend to. The blast and noise from a .375 is enough with the "conventional recoil" piece, and the recoil is manageable even from a bench.

I seriously considered having the BOSS cut off my rifle, but considering the relatively good accuracy I'm getting I have decided to keep it.

Thanks Bob, I actually looked at the book before I zeroed in with Winchesters last year and had great success. I was hoping somone could point me is a general area, but 1-4 is my best guess so far. I appreciate your help.

For anyone else who ever wonders about this particular load, the 1.5 area grouped just over an inch at 200 yards. That is with 65 grains of Dot19 powder and TSX 180 bullets. I coundnt be happier with the gun or bullets!

Default Sweet spot

Nearly all of the Boss equiped rifles I sighted in for customers had the sweet spot in the 1-2 range. As with all muzzle breaks, they're rather offensive for anyone next to them. Make sure your partners are not standing there when you touch it off. There is a solid style system available that eliminates the nasty noise and still gives you barrel tuning, but it doesn't have the recoil reducing benefit.

Mike