Thread: salcha above goose creek?

Default salcha above goose creek?

I was just wondering if anyone knew much about the reasons for the archery only hunt on the salcha above goose creek the later part of the season?

When I first saw it in the regs I didn't know where goose creek was and thought it was a nice looking hunt - all the rifle hunters gone, later in the season so good potential for calling, plus it's any bull which is great...but after looking at a map it seems awfully inacessible for an archery only hunt...definitely way to far for me - wish it wasn't!

Anyone know if that is strictly airboat country up that far?

You should be able to get up past Goose Creek with a jetboat. Depending on water levels and skills at boating, you can go quite a ways past Goose Creek. Watch for the big boulders once you get up there past the splits too. Getting up is easy, it's coming down that'll get you into trouble, especially if you gained 800 pounds of moose weight.

Although I have lots of experience on rivers (yentna and big su) I don't have a jetboat here in fairbanks, but I might be able to borrow a small flat bottom with a 20hp jet...just looking at other options if my time on the tanana doesn't produce dinner.

My experience with archery only areas (with the exception of the haul road corridor) is that they typically are in very accesible areas (FMA, eklutna, point mackenzie, etc)...this one isn't. Anyone know why that hunt is so far up river? If it were closer I think it would be a great hunt.

I'm guessing that's about 60 miles up river just to get to the open area...Is it very good moose country? It looks kind of mountainous!

Anyone know if there are many hunters up there during that archery only period or does it really thin out after the rifle season closes on the 20th?