Thread: Leupold Scopes

Default Leupold Scopes

I was thumbing through my Cabela's catalog last night and started looking at the VX-II and VX-III scopes. I did notice that the VX-III scopes were significantly more expensive than the VX-II; but I didn't see what the difference between the two were.

So....what's the difference and is the VX-III worth the extra money. Right now, I have a 2 x 9 Pentax on my 300 Win Mag and it's okay. But, I've been thinking about upgrading. What do you think?

Thanks

Buy a Ziess conquest.

I think the Leupold with the III may be $100 more than the II.

It may be worth it.

I dont think you can err in getting higher quality optics. So I just look for what might be best in my price range.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Quote Originally Posted by Boater View Post
    I was thumbing through my Cabela's catalog last night and started looking at the VX-II and VX-III scopes. I did notice that the VX-III scopes were significantly more expensive than the VX-II; but I didn't see what the difference between the two were.

So....what's the difference and is the VX-III worth the extra money. Right now, I have a 2 x 9 Pentax on my 300 Win Mag and it's okay. But, I've been thinking about upgrading. What do you think?

Thanks
    I use VX-II and III scopes for years in fact my last two rifles, the Kimber 8400 had one and so did my 416Wby. I have since moved to Zeiss Conquest on all my rifles. Now I still have a soft place for the VX-III but not for what I get for the money I have to spend. It is more than likely my eyes but I like the view and clarity I get with a Zeiss Conquest. Now it might look different to you. I would check both out and compare them outside not with just inside light. Good luck in your search for an upgrade.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I was at GNG up in Los Anchorage looking at scopes and they were suggesting a Zeiss.
    So I took their stock thingy with the two rubber scope holders out on their porch just about sundown.

I compared how clear the focus appeared on a mail box number a couple blocks away. I also compared light gathering.

I ended up buying a Leupold Euro model with a 30mm tube. It was better than the Zeiss Conquest in light gatheing and the focus appeared to be sharper than the Zeiss.
    I called out the salesman and he too was suprised how well the Leupold was doing.

I did the same thing this year when I ended up buying a Leupold 4.5 x 14 VXIII with the Boone and Crockett reticle.

As for your question, the VXIIIs have a different lense coating and they are set up differently inside. BUT.. I doubt they really cost that much more to make.

Leupold's web site has an explaination.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

More expensive doesn't really mean it is better overall, but that is just MHO. Leupold is nice, but once I tried a Nikon there is no looking further for me. And if my 11y old can use it properly and successfully it works! Spending more money just because the next guy did doesn't work all the time.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

The Leupold warranty is awesome. Their scopes are as good as any ones and they are built to last. I like my VXIIIs but I have more of the IIs and they work just fine. I have never had to blame the Leupold scopes for not harvesting an animal.

Default Vxii/vxiii

Boater,

or a anyone else that is interested, I have a VXII 3x9x50 and a VXIII 3.5x10x50. I can tell you this, I CANNOT tell the difference when I look through them. I held them side by side on 6x right at dusk, picked out an object in the yard, across the street and into a small section of woods and could not see better through one or the other.

HOWEVER, I do own 2 Zeiss Conquests. I did the same test w/ the Leupold and the Zeiss. There was a difference. You actually get more light from the Zeiss. If anyone is ever interested in coming over and looking for yourself before making a purchase, shoot me a pm and you are more than welcome. I live in Eagle River.

I believe the difference between vx-II and vx-III is the vx-III has aditional coatings on the glass which decrease the amount of light lost when traveling through the scope, and the vx-II is assembled from tubes screwed together while the vx-III is machined from a single piece of metal. That's my understanding of the differences but they may have changed over the years.

I've heard the best way to check scopes is to put a newspaper at 100 yds and compare how well you can make out the various size of print as the sun sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I believe the difference between vx-II and vx-III is the vx-III has aditional coatings on the glass which decrease the amount of light lost when traveling through the scope, and the vx-II is assembled from tubes screwed together while the vx-III is machined from a single piece of metal. That's my understanding of the differences but they may have changed over the years.

I've heard the best way to check scopes is to put a newspaper at 100 yds and compare how well you can make out the various size of print as the sun sets.
    I believe this is correct...or at least close, I read somewhere that the vxII is coated on the same side only of the glass, and the coatings on the vxIII's are on each side of the glass which give the clarity and light gathering ability. I can't remember exactily but the II's use a different coating formula to try to get the light where the III's is a premium coating.