Thread: rope for rope-a-along

Default rope for rope-a-along

Those of you that use a rope-a-along...like a come-along but can pull and endless length of rope. It's $50 at AIH, and calls for 1/2" poly rope. Twisted poly is pretty cheap, but I hate that stuff...too stiff to use for most other purposes. Anyone use other rope...like braided nylon or braided poly with a rope-a-along? Does the ropealong tear up the rope at all (ie should I just use the cheapest stuff available).

Thanks for any advice!

I got the AIH stretch free suff it is white with a blue stripe. Blue steel or something to that effect. It ain't cheap but it doesn't stretch and it is strong.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I use a rope along building log homes.. I use 1/2 inch nylon and it works great. coils nice when done and don't tangle as much.. get what you can afford.. and use it for that .. i pull 30 foot ridge logs up with mine great tool once you get used to it.

Vince, thanks for the info....I'd rather get good rope and use it for multiple purposes, just can't stand that twisted, 3strand poly...though I guess it's doesn't have the worst stretch.

I've been thinking about buy one but have been unsure if they are what they a cracked up to be. I would be using it to lift and move logs for building projects. Are they worth it? Are they better than a come-a-long?
    Chuck

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

you can feed an unlimited amount of rope through one... it works like a capstan rope in one end and out he other. it has all the same function as a come along that is the greatest benefit to it. it will also work on a double line pulley i use mine in a double gang block. to lift logs the weigh several hundred pounds. and feed 450 foot of rope through it so i do not have to re snatch every 50 foot of pull.

i also use one attached to the chain saw...

Alaska wire and rope offers 1/2" poly dacron cut to size.