Thread: Water Filter Question

Default Water Filter Question

When utilizing a water filter to prepare Mt. House meals, will the filter handle water that the salmon are spawned out and dieing in? The water normally smells pretty bad that time of year. Will the water filter take care of the odor or any taste issues?
    Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by 375AIJGS View Post
    When utilizing a water filter to prepare Mt. House meals, will the filter handle water that the salmon are spawned out and dieing in? The water normally smells pretty bad that time of year. Will the water filter take care of the odor or any taste issues?
    Thanks in advance.

The mountain house itself should mask any odor or taste issues.LOL
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

The filters can filter out the nastiest of water, but, if you pump gunk through the filter it will clog up much faster than if you use a relatively clean source.

Default Certainly it will

Most H2O filters on the market have a two-part filtration device. Usually a ceramic filter to remove the tiniest of particualtes including those bugs notorious for causing the "bubble guts" and a carbon based filter to remove/improve the taste of the water. I have two, an MSR Sweetwater and Katadyn. Both do an awesome job. I even tested the capabilities on a glacial fed stream (complete with salmon) with so much silt you could not see the bottom in two inches of water. Although I managed to clog the ceramic filter, the water was clear as a bell and tasted great. Try to locate clear seeps/streams, you'll be fine...
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...

Just boil the water for 3 minutes and your golden as boiling the water will kill anything in the water, though I don't know how it will smell.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

let your water set 1/2 hour or so and the sediment will settle out before you filter it... saves filter life and easier to pour off the cleaner stuff if just boiling it.. salt and Garlic will cove any taste issues you have also...

An old trick to cloudy/funky/glacial water sources is to dig a hole back from the river (1 to 4 feet or so), or even rolling a rock or two out of their holes. If there is a still-wet but no longer flowing side slough nearby then that is the best place to dig. The trick is to get below the water line.

Natural hyraulic pressure will pre-filter the water as it fills the hole. Draw your water from the hole and you'll clean your filter far less often.

Adding some sort of flavoring usually does the trick if your filtered water has any residual odor. (I'm a Tang man myself)

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    The mountain house itself should mask any odor or taste issues.LOL
    Funny....and true! Heck, with MH's scrambled eggs, the salmon water would be an improvement!

Find some cleaner water. If not, be sure to have a small 4" x 4" 3M pad with you to clean the filter with. You might consider running the water through a cloth or old t-shirt to strain it some. And the earlier idea of letting it sit was a good, but time consuming thought.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I usually take quite a few cut up coffee filters and rubber bands that fit around the filter/strainer in the water and when it gets clogged I pull it off and attach another one .
    Works great.

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif