Thread: Back Pack frames

Default Back Pack frames

Am considering purchasing just a pack frame up an upcoming Koyukuk hunt since we have to carry out the quarters intact.

Cabelas offers two nice ones, Once i called the Alaskan Outfitter Frame ($99) and the other is the Extreme Alaskan Outfitter Frame. Differences I see is one cost $20 more but not sure what other differences there are.

Finally there is the Barney version at $269. I would certaintly consider it if it is worth the difference in price but am hesitant that I may be spending money thinking "the more it costs the better it must be".

Mind you, I just need the frame, no pack. It would be great to hear from anyone who has actually compared these side by side.

I can't speak for Barney's except to say that they have a cult like following throughout AK. Their reputation speaks for themselves but I have compared the Cabelas frames.

Essentially what you have are the same frame and harness system but the Extreme frame has a retractable/removable top piece and the meat rack is only a durable piece of fabric with no bars running through it. The Outfitter frame uses a bit heavier tubing and has a fixed top piece with tubing running through the fabric of the meat shelf to give it shape. You'd be hard pressed to find much beyond that. I think for hauling, they both are worth the money.
    Loving God, Loving People, Loving America--Serving All Three

I have the Barney's frame. The pack is much nicer than my old Cabela's pack. I have mostly noticed the padding on the shoulder straps and hip belt. The frame is lighter, but I am not sure by how much. I do know that the frame and bag is about 4# lighter in comparison and the bag is much bigger.

That said, it is a lot more. Depending on how much weight and comfort matter to you, you may find a better value with Cabela's or even one of the frames from Kelty, Camp Trails, etc.

Does the Barneys frame have a meat rack?
    There web site is down and they are currently out of stock or I would swing by and look at one.

Default Barneys frames and bag

I bought a hunter bag and frame, $500 or so at the sportsman show. Taking up on the haul road. Man it is sweat. Just having it on getting it adjusted there at barneys and the dropped in 40#'s. Very comfy and the harness system is what makes the frame so nice, nothing really compares from I have seen. Then yes the shoulder straps and belt are so thickly padded.

On a side note, when talking to other stores employees, like Boondocks, their employee said they bougth the cabelas frame. Put it on, someone had a barneys frame, liked it so much went and bought the barneys anyways and still had the cabelas.

I have a camp trails frame with meat shelf and bag, bag can be removed. You are more than welcome to use it for the hunt. Thinking selling it possibly but not sure what is worth and might be handy to around for others to use. More than welcome to it man.

Default Had Both

I had the Cabelas Outfitter frame. I now have a Barney's. You could not pay me full price for my Barney's and give me a Cabela's, cause I would buy another Barney's. I didn't believe it either until I got one. I sold my Cabelas for cheap, and consider it a lesson learned.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Default pack

I put Barneys straps and waistbelt on my old camp trails frame and it seems to work nicely.

Default Ultimate pack frame

If you want the ultimate pack frame, go with the nice frame and sling made by Mystery Ranch. It will set you back around $325.00. Check out their web site. Absolutely love mine. It takes the hurt out of packing moose quarters.

Default I have both Barneys and Cabelas

I have both (Barneys and Cabelas)and would say for short hauls the Cabelas works fine for the price. If you are going to pack in for several days or longer distances where it's going to used more than just packing to the ATV or raft, you should consider investing in a better set up. IF you can afford it, the more expensive frames/frames are more comfortable and lighter. Either one will get the job done.

Things to consider:
    How often are you going to use it?
    What type of packing do you have planned in the future?
    What fits your budget?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Skilak Jim View Post
    If you want the ultimate pack frame, go with the nice frame and sling made by Mystery Ranch. It will set you back around $325.00. Check out their web site. Absolutely love mine. It takes the hurt out of packing moose quarters.
    This is the setup I use as well......don't need no stinkin' Barney's!
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

I looked at this pack frame on the companies web site. Similar to a Alice military pack but it costs more than the Barneys!
    I checked out the one at Sportsman warehouse and it seems nice but is really heavy. It must weigh 10 pounds or more. Gonna make into Barneys today to look at there's.

Default member

I guess I am a member of the cult. I have looked at other frames beside my barneys and cant tell you by looking what makes the barneys work so well. It has nice straps and a nice belt, but so do a lot of the others. For some reason it just feels a lot better to me. I have packed out a lot of meat with it.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

Purchased one at Barneys last week but it has yet to arrive.
    Thanks for all the information

Default member of the cult too

After using Cabelas and camp trails packs for moose and sheep for years, buying the barneys pack may have been the single best purchase I have ever made for hunting. Enough said.

Picked up the Barneys and compared it to the Cabelas. Not even close. Glad I spent the extra money. I just pray if we shoot a moose we can carry out the quarters on a "litter" I had made. A entire hindquarter would kill my back! lol

Default Glad you could...

see the difference and that us Barney's "cult" members aren't just bsing people. They are the real deal. Enjoy the pack! (I am not sure any pack of any moose is enjoyable)