Thread: Suggest a bow for me

Default Suggest a bow for me

PFD's are coming!

I am going to budget $400 for a bow and am looking for suggestions. Thinking of getting a nice recurve. Any particular brands/models that you would suggest that I consider or avoid?

I don't know the first thing about recurves or long bows but if you happen to look at compounds I might start at Reflex or Diamonds. For the money your wanting to spend, they are awesome choices for compounds.
    Loving God, Loving People, Loving America--Serving All Three

Is that all you are going to spend period on bow, sights, arrows, and other accessories? I ask because in general you'll spend as much on the accessories and arrows as the bow itself.

There are many, many fine makers of recurves, from the oldies like bear, martin etc, the countless small custom shops. For $400 you can often break into a basic model custom. I believe there are a few custom bow makers up here.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Is that all you are going to spend period on bow, sights, arrows, and other accessories? I ask because in general you'll spend as much on the accessories and arrows as the bow itself.

There are many, many fine makers of recurves, from the oldies like bear, martin etc, the countless small custom shops. For $400 you can often break into a basic model custom. I believe there are a few custom bow makers up here.
    That is one of the big reasons I am looking at traditional gear- not as many accessories to buy. Get the bow, arrows, quiver, and a glove and you are set. My Scottish ancestry makes me lean toward keeping things cheap and as basic as possible.

I currently have a lower poundage home built recurve I got at a yard sale. Looking to get something with more power that I can use for big game should I decide to go that way.

Bilder

Check out the recurves from PSE. The impala is the only under $200.00 bow I ever shot of it's quality and they have models that go up from there. I'm thinking of a Kudu with the exotic wood option in 50lbs@28" for my travel bow. Bill at Back country bows will be glad too set you up. Or Paul up at archers den has some screaming deals on older recurves right now, and a custom long bow I'd love to have but is not within my budget!
    I think Paul is also a PSE dealer.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Might also check out the classifieds at (PM for address) you can get some really good and really bad deals there. 1960's bear kodiak for say $250.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

There's also about 6 Ben Pearson bows on a popular auction site, all under $400. In mint condition and real archery classics.
    BHA Member

Always wanted a bamboo backed hickory long bow just like old Howard Hill. You could probably find one of those for under $400......sorry man insomnia really has a hold on me tonight!
    BHA Member

Just a thought why not get a classic like a "Pearson" or a "Bear" in shooting quality and a couple of dozen arrows. You'll end up with a better shooting bow(as long as your careful) and more toys too enjoy for less money.

Personally I'm looking forward to purchasing a classic or 2 next time Tracy decides to do something nice for me. One of the perks of being stay at home dad is I get "appreciation" toys from time to time. Being that I have given up a income to raise our son. Of course down side is I can seldom get things as fast as I want and often have too sell old gear to get new, anybody want a cheep 4x4 pickup BTW? Tracy did say I could trade it for a bow or shot gun or bow and shot gun.......ya ya I know thread hijack and go to bed Rick!
    BHA Member

I hvae a damon howatt hunter that i would sell for 155 with a string. Its 55# at 28" but if you want a 400 dollar bow I would go to

www.tradgang.com and look in the for sale section there.

Bowhunter he's a south paw I'll take that hunter from ya though....depending on condition and year it was produced. Sending PM
    BHA Member

Yep I am a lefty.

I am a little torn on buying new or used. Part of me wants to buy a new and support one of the local shops, but buying used I can probably get a better quality bow for the money.

I guess if I buy used I will end up supporting the local shop anyway with range fees, tuning services, and arrows.

Bilder
    I like the idea of owning a classic bow because of the history involved. Bowhunter89's bow is from one of the big 3 of early American archery.
    1) Ben Pearson Archery
    2) Fred bear Archery
    3) Damon Howatt Archery
    Without Ben Pearson no compounds, Fred made the sport popular and affordable for everyone, Howatt brought custom design and quality to mass production bows.

Be careful and really do your research if you go with a classic bow. I confused one model for a different very similar sounding model and now have the embarrassment of trying to still make a deal for the bow at half the price I thought it was worth and offered.(Ya I feel like a real butthead).

Here's my short list of really wants, as it stands right now...subject to change at any moment.
    1) Early 60's Ben Pearson Palomino
    2) 1967 Ben Pearson Lord Sovereign
    3) 1995 Howatt hunter the one with a purple hart riser
    4) Browning explorer.
    5) Early Kodiak
    BHA Member

Quote Originally Posted by bilder View Post
    PFD's are coming!

I am going to budget $400 for a bow and am looking for suggestions. Thinking of getting a nice recurve. Any particular brands/models that you would suggest that I consider or avoid?
    I shoot 2 longbows and love them. My first was a Wallace takedown and 2nd is a Robertson – they do make recurves as well but I can’t speak to them.

Wes Wallace apprenticed under the legend Jim Brackenbury. http://www.weswallacebows.com/

Here is Dick Robertson’s web site (this is my go to bow now - but only because it has a higher draw weight):
    http://www.robertsonstykbow.com/

My buddy shoots a Blackwidow recurve and raves about it. But now your talking big money – plus there dam heavy.
    http://www.blackwidowbows.com/

You can find used bows here:
    http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/TF/lw/CLASSIFIEDS.CFM
    and here
    http://www.women-outdoors.com/traditional/

You should consider picking up “The traditional bowhunters handbook” by T.J. Conrads. This book is a complete reference for any traditional archer.

Good luck!

I'll second the book recommendation from James. Good reference good history and one of the simplest explanations of instinctive shooting out there.
    BHA Member

Anyone here have any experience with Rudderbows.com?

Came across their site and they have some pretty nice prices on some bamboo backed hickory longbows. Read some good reviews on them on some of the forums, just wondering if anyone local has any personal experience with their stuff.

if youre looking for an inexpensive bow, and you still want a compound look at parker. you can find them online in cabelas and sometimes sportsmans carries them. they are good bows with a lifetime warranty. i've had mine for a year and have no complaints at all. also check the racks when new bows are coming in, there will be bows from the past year with prices chopped!!!!

there were a couple guys here on the Kenai making very nice custom long bows and recurves at very reasonable prices...$450 if i remember correctly
    dean maloney and john ??? darn drawing bank on his last name.
    they used to sell them at the bow shop down here but i don't know if they do at they new shop.
    one of my hunting partners had 2-3 of there bows.
    also Black Widow web site has forum and there are classifieds as well.
    avoid getting too high of poundage. 55-60 will kill anything in this state. know your draw length? black widows are +/- 3-4 # /inch draw other bows would be similar
    if you have a long draw length say 30" (rare) and bow is listed @28 that bow may "stack" at 30. that can be a problem. especially older bows.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Lefty Bighorn Recurve

I have a left handed takedown Bighorn Recurve that I don't use anymore. I have four sets of limbs that go along with it ranging in poundage from 50-70. I switched to shooting right handed (my dominant eye) so I don't use it anymore.