Thread: Swanson Area Moose!?

Default Swanson Area Moose!?

Has anyone been into the Swanson area yet Moose hunting? If so how was it? Has anyone hunted that area before? Thanks for any info!

Default The Swanson River Moose

Back when I thought sleeping on the ground was fun I floated the Swanson River with my wife and a couple of friends. Took 5 moose in 5 trips. Been years since I did it. Last week is best. If you got a friend try the canoe lake system late in the season. Be ready for a couple of days packing out and doing the portage thing. Hunting the road is like pulling the slot machine.

338, I will be flying in and back out. How big are were the bulls you took. Should I shoot the first legal bull I come across or is there a good chance for a booner in that area? Thanks 338!

Before you pull the trigger, be triple sure you can pack it. It's really easy to get a ways back in, and then if you get a moose, you can really be in a bind. Just portaging back a few lakes with your camping gear is a good workout.

From the time I've spent back in there, I'd say take any legal bull you see. The vegitation has really grown up, so there isn't as much browse as there used to be. The area really could use a good fire.

Thanks Paul. I have been training for this hunt for 4 months and work out regularly at the gym so fitness is not problem. My hunting partner is really fit also. I heard that this area was getting overgrown. Does AK not do prescribed burns? Any ideas on where to fly into? Does the Vegitation relax the closer you get to the mountains on the NE side of Swanson?Thanks!

I've always hunted via canoe, so can't help on where to be flown into. Are you planning on floating the river to get out, or are you being flown out? Unless you have a canoe, you aren't going to be traveling far through that country, and definately don't want to be a packing a moose too far from where you can put it into a canoe. There are restrictions on which lakes planes can land on. If you're being flown in, I'd scout from the air vs having a pre-determined drop point.

There are a limited number of controlled burns done down there. There have been some fires down there as well as natural ones, but no big ones. Good moose habitat needs 1000's of acres to be burnt, as not all areas that burn will sprout up with useable vegitation. The real problem is from Sterling South to Homer there are enough homes and cabins, that a fire won't be allowed to really get going as someone is going to loose a structure or two.

Thanks Paul! Fly in and out. My buddy's uncle knows which waters are accessable by plane but he has not given me that info. Having not been there before myself, and I am getting nervous relying on his uncle to put us on Moose. His uncle has hunted that area quite a bit in the past but the more info I can get the better. It sounds like we might need to fly in an inflatable canoe. We will scout from air and drop as close as possible to them. Thanks again!

Spent 8/22-8/23 and 8/27-8/30 hunting both Swanson river area and Mystery creek. Seen a few non-legal bulls and quite a few cows. Good luck!!

Default Swanson Moose

We are meat hunters, so we shot the first legal bull. If your flying in it probably is after the 10 th. If you have a week to 10 days you should be able to call in a decent bull if you want a bigger one. Have fun !

Default Thanks!

Thanks guys for responding. I am also looking for meat. Regs stipulate that it is 50 or 3 so I will shoot first bull with 3 since judging 50 is pretty tough unless way over 50. Good Luck everyone!!

liv2hnt - Don't forget that the regs also stipulate that you can shoot a young bull that has either a spike or a fork on at least one side. In my opinion, there is no finer eating moose than a spike. Not much to look at, but boy are they tasty! (and more numerous in many areas as well)

-Brian