Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Ammo for .54 cal Pedersoli Hawken

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2

    Default Ammo for .54 cal Pedersoli Hawken

    Looking to buy a .54 cal Pedersoli Hawken. A guy I work with says its a great gun but hard to find ammo for. Anyone have any input on what may be difficult to get for this gun?

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan1976 View Post
    Looking to buy a .54 cal Pedersoli Hawken. A guy I work with says its a great gun but hard to find ammo for. Anyone have any input on what may be difficult to get for this gun?
    I can't imagine where he gets that. I shoot several 54's and the only "ammo" thats different from any other ML is the diameter of the bullet. I've found both round balls and conical bullets right on the shelf at every Sportsmans I've ever been in. You can also find it all over the web. Any sporting goods store can order it for you too, if they don't have it on the shelf.

    Hope I don't sound defensive there, but I really want to keep you from shying away from 54 cal. It's a heck of a lot more impressive than a 50 cal when it comes to slapping down game, even if recoil doesn't seem to be any greater.

    BTW- I quit buying bullets for mine and cast my own. You can get the moulds from LEE for little more than a box of bullets cost (around $19), and after that the shooting is more or less free, depending on your source of lead.

    It's amazing how much better a gun kills game if it's been shot lots, compared to one that never gets shot much because bullets are expensive. Must build up more good karma as more bullets pass down the bore. It must be the gun, because we all know that shooters never make mistakes, and when there's problems on game it's always the fault of the gear. :-)

    If you get the gun, come back up on the forum and I'll pass on loading experience and advice for the 54.

    Of course, the only reason not to buy a 54 cal is if you can find a 58 cal. I'm shooting my 54's a lot less since I picked up a couple of 58's!!!!

  3. #3
    New member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2

    Default Thanks!

    Hey thanks for the reply, I thought he was way off when he said it. I couldn't imagine its that difficult to get ammo for. As soon as I buy the Hawken I'll drop a line in the forum and sure do appreciate your help and advise. I really like the idea of casting my own bullets. Thanks again!

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan1976 View Post
    Hey thanks for the reply, I thought he was way off when he said it. I couldn't imagine its that difficult to get ammo for. As soon as I buy the Hawken I'll drop a line in the forum and sure do appreciate your help and advise. I really like the idea of casting my own bullets. Thanks again!
    Looking forward to it. I'm anxious to hear how that Pedersoli shoots for you. Other folks I know report sizzling accuracy. I'd own one but the price always seemed a little stiff. I've got a Lyman Great Plains Rifle and a custom. With reduced loads I use the GPR for head shooting snowshoe hare. Stiff up the loads and it's dandy for everything from deer to moose.

  5. #5

    Default

    Those Lyman Great Plains Rifles will shoot circles around any TC when spitting round balls. I hunted with one for several years and sold it on a whim. I've been thinking about getting another one. So go ahead and talk me into it Brown Bear!

    What is the twist rate on that Pedersoli?

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Those Lyman Great Plains Rifles will shoot circles around any TC when spitting round balls. I hunted with one for several years and sold it on a whim. I've been thinking about getting another one. So go ahead and talk me into it Brown Bear!

    What is the twist rate on that Pedersoli?
    The only thing better than a GPR for the money in my book is a GPR you build yourself. There's enough wood on them that you can do quite a bit of custom work if you want. Or you can stick with the style as-is. I had so much fun building the last one that I'm looking for excuses to build another. Took about 20 hours total using common household hand tools. Easy to do and best of all, it shoots just as well as the factory model.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •