Thread: Marmot Hunting

Default Marmot Hunting

I was thinking about trying to bowhunt for marmots this coming weekend. I know hatchers pass has some but I dont like the crowds of people and I do not have any idea of the area. I was wondering if there was any marmots around turnigan maybee those hillsides going towards seward or something. If you guys have any spots you wouldent mind sharing I would love to hear them. I am only here for 2 more weeks then im off to college again. Any help is appreciated.

I am pretty sure you can only trap for marmots, no firearm/bow hunting for them. check the back section of the regs on small game.

I am hunting them with a trapping license. Its legal

Perfectly legal to use firearm or bow under traping licence.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

didn't know that. so you get a trapping license and you can shoot it? doesn't make sense. if you have a trapping license, isn't that only good for trapping the animal?

I believe the trapping license applies to different species that normally wouldnt be hunted as well as allowing greater limits for species that are normally hunted.

Mainly furbearers which meat isnt good typically but it sounds like the marmot tastes just fine

Fishwaker summed it up based on species not harvest method.....usually.....read your regs and then have someone else read them........case in point I've let literally dozens of legal moose go because of a misread I never bothered to have anyone double check!
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Well just make sure you fully understand the regs. Take your time and read them... If you have any questions just call ADF$G. You can also bait wolves and shoot them as well as use a light at night for fox, coyote, wolf, lynx after november 1st.

I dont like baiting but calling in the pitch black at night then seeing en eyeball at 20 yards makes for exciting night hunting with a .22 or a .17HMR. Close close shots

Default same question

I was reading in the regs on the same question, and it says that you can hunt take them with a trapping liscense under the trapping reg. I saw four in Hatchers Pass while hunting Ptarmigan. If you are successful try authentic "Mongolian BBQ"

Quote Originally Posted by stuckupnorth View Post
    I was reading in the regs on the same question, and it says that you can hunt take them with a trapping liscense under the trapping reg. I saw four in Hatchers Pass while hunting Ptarmigan. If you are successful try authentic "Mongolian BBQ"
    Not for the weak of stomach! But what the hey I'll do it that way next time and post pics......yuck!
    BHA Member

Well I am pretty sure that I will be hunting them this monday. I will let you know how I do.

Default tasted great

I soaked the meat over night in a soy brown sugar white wine garlic mix then cooked them in the crock pot for about nine hours with a homemade terriyaki or however ya spell it. bottom line it tasted great. the only game taste actually had a sesame flavor. so enjoy!

OK it's the Mongolian way that is yuck not Marmot's as table fare. In fact better than rabbits and might make good bacon.

Bowhunter89
    You have business at my place first.....Then Gunther and I would like to join you on that hunt.
    BHA Member

Cool deal yeah I am up at 6am heading to work but as soon as I get back I will find out what year that bow was made. I will call you today