Thread: Emergency number for sat phone

Default Emergency number for sat phone

I asked this last year and didn't get an answer so I'll try again. Is the sat phone emergency number 911 or what? Even if you don't have an active sim card the phone says that it will dial emergency only. Does anyone know what that number is?

If you dial 911 you'll get the emergency operator for the area where your provider is based. I don't mean who you bought the phone from in Anchorage, but the service provider they've contracted with. I tried mine a couple of years ago and I got a 911 operator in Texas. Maybe things are different today.

For current numbers of interest go back to the menu for outdoor safety and survival and open the first topic, the one with search and rescue contact numbers.

If you don't have your sim card activated will those numbers work? I can't see 1 800 numbers working.

Nope. My sat phone is like my cell phone. Without a service contract in place I can't complete any calls except to 911. In the case of the sat phone that 911 operator probably won't be anywhere close to where I am.

I'll bet they'll reconnect you.

They may, but I'm not betting on it. I have the Rescue Coordination Center programmed into my phone and the number written on the carrying case in case I'm the guy down and somebody else is using the phone on my behalf. I've also disabled the PIN function for the same reason. Sat phones aren't intuitive for guys that don't use them regularly. A sat phone that nobody can use because the guy with the PIN is unconscious is worthless.

My sermon is over.