Thread: Leupold Alumina flip up caps

Default Leupold Alumina flip up caps

Anyone use the leupold flip up caps & are there any in anchorage? I've been in Sportsmans a couple times in the last couple weeks & they are still sold out ( 40mm basic size for most) & don't know if they have anymore on order.

I saw some the other day at Wild West Guns, might try there. Never used them personaly, Ive always gone with the Butler Creek ones and loved them.

Default Boondock or Cabelas

The eyepiece and objective appear to be slightly different sizes.
    Spendy vs the Butler Creeks, but very clean function.

Default Flip caps

I have a set on my 1.5 X 5 and like them better than the Butler Creeks on my 2 X 7. I purchased them from here : www.swfa.com

I bought a pair from midwayusa, it was like $80, for both sides. They do keep the scope nice and dry. I bought from Midway USA

Default Cabelas...

has 'em.

Price is per each.

I have both, the Leupold caps are much nicer.

I've looked at getting these. What exactly makes them so much nicer over the butler creeks. I've had no issues with my butler creeks so have see no real reason to upgrade really. Just curious.

Thanks

Default Leup Alumina caps

There's not any function advantage.
    We put Butler Crks on my daughter's (Ruger 10/22) VX1 and they're great.
    I happened to buy a well cared for Kimber with Leup VXIII, so put the Leup caps on just because the look and function is a little cleaner.

1. Thinner material: The Leups are metal (aluminum I think) and so they're less bulky than the BCs.
    2. Efficient design: Leups have a male thread which screws into the scope instead of sliding on over the scope. The thinner metal and fit design makes them trimmer.
    3. Quiet, neat closure: BCs close with a latch. Leups seem to close with a magnetized closure. (I have noticed Buck uses a similar magnetic closure on some of their small folding knives).

Will they work on non Leupold scopes? Nikon, Burriss, etc?

Default Variety of sizes...

From: http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-s...k-lens-covers/
    Alumina Flip-Back Lens Covers

Alumina® flip-back lens covers – feature powerful neodymium magnets to hold them securely closed and triple O-ring seals for maximum protection from the elements. Their machined-aluminum precision construction, quick and easy operation, and a low-profile position when open make our flip-back lens covers stand above the rest. The round objective models are clockable, so you can rotate them to open any direction. Available in a variety of sizes for both eyepieces and objectives.

If I was interested in fitting to other brand scopes, I'd prob call local sport shops hoping someone would know. If you're an anchorage area, you're welcome to try the ones on my 36mm VXIII to your scope. I've emailed Leupold in the past, without a reply. Maybe calling Leupold would be better.

I have been using Butler Creek flip caps for a long time, and though the Leupys look good, they dont look $80 good. Thats a lot of cash for a couple flip caps, exactly 4 times the cost of Butler Creeks.

Default No kidding...

You're right! Just think...8 caps...4 rifles worth and for no advantage in function. And the Butler Crks on my daughter's Ruger 10/22 work great.

I relayed my experience with the Leupys to AkMarmot since he asked.
    This rifle happened to be a used one, but a well cared for one, nicer gun than I'd planned really, which I topped with the Leup VXIII. The Leup caps tricked out my T-bird rifle.

There was one thing I did like (about the Leupys) in the field though. Opening and closing them- was so quiet. Not $80 worth, but in the field I found out that I appreciate gear that is very quiet.

Have a good winter.

Default Check Boondocks in ER, I've got them there in the past

I have them on a few Leopolds and like em a lot. Have used everything else to include BCs and bikinis. No comparison the Aluminas, fit Leopolds perfect, completely wx proof, lightweight, sleek, stealthy and look good doing it. There are cheaper options but, I'm not going backwards.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII