Thread: Washed my boolets...

Default Washed my boolets...

I accidently left a couple 270wsm cartridges in my cargo pocket and the love of my life ran em through the wash for me. They pants (and bullets) were hang dried and though they are no longer shiney but I can still hear the powder when I shake the cartridge. So what is the verdict shoot em or toss em?

I'd think they would be ok to shoot. Shouldn't be any different than getting left in the rain/dropped in a puddle. Provided your wash doesn't contain too much detergent, that is.

I would think worst case is that they just wouldn't go off, but then again I'm no expert....

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I accidently left a couple 270wsm cartridges in my cargo pocket and the love of my life ran em through the wash for me. They pants (and bullets) were hang dried and though they are no longer shiney but I can still hear the powder when I shake the cartridge. So what is the verdict shoot em or toss em?
    I did the same a few years back. I pulled the bullets and the powder was fine. But when I chambered the emptied cases and tried to pop the caps, they were duds. Mine were handloads rather than factory, so maybe there's a difference there.

Don't take a chance in the field, use them at the range.

If you do decide to shoot them at the range and when you pull the trigger and they don't go off you need to hold your rifle in that position for at least a minute before you eject the round. If it were me I would pull the bullet empty the powder and then get rid of them.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Be safe

I would have to agree that you are better off pitching them.

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    If you do decide to shoot them at the range and when you pull the trigger and they don't go off you need to hold your rifle in that position for at least a minute before you eject the round. If it were me I would pull the bullet empty the powder and then get rid of them.
    I agree, you always leave a hangfire set for a while. IMO, it's only a couple of cartridges so I would just pull them.

I did the same exact thing to five of my .458 Win Mag handloads two weeks ago. The rounds came out of the dryer hot to the touch. I didn't trust them for hunting so I shot them off at the range. All five fired without problems. They were crimped, but I did nothing to protect the primers from water seepage. I too could hear the powder shaking inside before firing.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."