Thread: Another Haul Road question.

Default Another Haul Road question.

I apologize in advance for adding to the Haul Road posts, but I did look through over a year of posts and couldnt find an answer to a simple question. Based on the Topo maps of the area between Happy Valley and Deadhorse there is a lot of water, most significantly the Sag. Is it possible to hunt the East side of the road without a boat/raft? Is the Sag wadeable and if so what is the recommended footwear? I'll be heading up for the first time in a week to bowhunt and I hope to set a basecamp 1-2 miles from the road to avoid the crowds. Thanks for any help.

The Sag is generally not wadeable. Well...I guess I should say it's not easily wadeable and probably not advisable. A man died up there a few years ago after he waded the Sag and went under while he was trying to drag a caribou back across the river. It can be done, but.... Getting off the road would be a great idea, but I would head West rather than East.

Default Going up next thursday night

Leaving town after work. We dicided to take my 9.5' round raft with oars and 2hp motor. Might give us the edge, have room for it. Also a couple lakes, Toolik and Galbrith. Caribou have been sighted and killed around Toolik. Getting pumped now. I would offer you a ferry across the river, but most likely will be in different areas and this is our first time. Bears as well as bou are on the menu. Just hope the raft works out and makes worth effort of getting ready and all plus hauling all the way up there and back. Good luck. Be safe. Don't do anything stupid, listen to your gut feeling.

I have a friend who is up there right now who took my Alpacka raft to get across the river. That's one of the primary reasons I bought it, so I'm looking forward to his report. Our plan next year is to float 5-10 miles of river each day and arrange a pickup back to camp in the evening. Being able to access the other side with a 6 pound raft will be awesome!

The Sag is high this year. If you try and wade it you'll probably die.

If getting across is on your agenda bring a boat of some sort.

The sag isnt hardly wadeable even on low water levels. Plus this isnt like slipping and falling in the kenai it is much worse... Cold, fast, and once out of the sight of the road your all alone. I would not advise trying to wade it.

Default Thanks guys

I always get the straight scoop from the forum, looks like i will go west unless i find a raft/boat.

Default Hip Boots

I crossed the Sag back in 2003 wearing hip boots. Noot advisaable, but doable if the conditions are right. I used a inner tube in the downstream arm to act as a drag and a long stick to check the depth. Cross in the widest spot if you try it... The area with most branches and negotiate one at a time. It was also clear and sunny onthe way across so i could se the bottom, On the way back with a bou quartered and in my pack it tok 3 times as long. The day after I left some guys tried it and died. I watched it onthe news when I got back to anchorage... I was lke, Man, I was just their. Again, if at all possible, use a raft or boat..

I was up there in 2003. Amazingly low when I was there. Heck the past 5 years have been lower than what I was used to seeing. This year is up to par so far though.

Default Wading the Sag

I talked with some guys on the East side of the Sag last week that waded across. I didn't say anything, but I fly that river all the time. It is swift and cold, not to mention with a number of big rocks. It is not a good idea to wade across.

If I was going to cross the Sag, I would take a stable inflatable raft, no a canoe, and I would plan to pick it up a fair distance downstream.

it depends where you want to cross the sag. If you go north of pump station 2 you can cross it in a pair of tennis shoes. If you guys don't believe me I've got pictures to prove it. I Just got home today

Default you are right, helmut

I forgot to mention that helmut. I am most familair with the section Pump Station 2, to Pump Staiton 3 and to the DOT camp. That is the section I do not encourage crossing.

I know that North of PS2 is much safer.

This is how my friend got across the Sag last week when he borrowed my Alpacka. Man, I can't wait for next year when I do the same!

just got back
    lots of good areas to hunt to east without crossing river , water level is dropping but i would not try to wade it. probably dropped 3-4 inches in 6 days we were up there< at boat launch.
    #1 just south of slope mtn DOT station
    #2 ice cut to pump station #2 very big area. some areas are mile or more from river

having raft or even canoe to get across is very good idea, if floating canoe from ice cut there are few significant rapids, I recovered canoe for guy last year that dumped it after making it through most of the bad ones but got a bou and then lost it all in comparatively minor series of 12" RIPPLES he and his 14 yo grandson spent cold night without any gear. they only recoverd part of caribou and the canoe, thanks to F & G spotting it from air. luckily the weather was nice.
    about mid way to Happy Valley river becomes pretty mild.
    i have use scanoe many years ago just to acoss river to chase canoe....way up by slope Mtn. i would not use canoe up that far to float down unless you are very highly skilled in canoes. scared crap out of myself 5 years ago up there in my jet boat got into 4-5 foot standing waves. have not been back since
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default wading river

I was up there the last week of July, we were about 8 miles outside of dead horse and were using sneakers to cross the river, the water was cold but it was dooable, that is the only place I have ever crossed. The weather took a turn for the worst the last few days we were there and it did rise several inches. I am going back up on Thursday. We are bringing a raft this time.

The main channel of the Sag is not near the road from around 25 miles south of Deadhorse north. The Sag forks off and the main channel heads north east and is right around 5 miles off the road when you reach the Prudhoe Bay Closed Area. If you are walking across the Sag in tennis shoes and are in the main channel, your shirt will probably get wet. In 2007 I drove my 20 foot boat downstream on the Sag and encountered 2&1/2-3 foot swells.

Yes you can find shallow areas to skirt back and forth, but it is adviseable to take a raft. It would be much easier to cross south of Pump 2 which would be before the Ivishak and its feeders fill up the Sag.

I've waded sections of the Sag, but never the main channel.