Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: meals

Default meals

Got a 12 day fly in coming up and trying to decide on meals for it. Got breakfast covered and lunch but looking for some ideas for dinner. I got 6 maybe 7 figured out but most frozen will be used up. Want to be eating moose by day 3 but do not want to depend on that. Any ideas appreciated.

thanks

Fred,
    A few questions:
    How many people?
    Are you hunting from a fixed camp?
    How elaborate do you want to go?
    How much weight can you afford to dedicate to a camp kitchen?

For myself, I usually go super light. I eat freeze dried for the duration supplemented by fish, fowl, berries and mushrooms when available.

For vehicle supported trips (ATV or boat) I make soups, stews and chili ahead of time at home, vacuum seal it and freeze it. I heat them up in hot water and use that water later for dishes/hygiene.

I'm going with all dinner freeze dried this Fall for a week trip, the weight savings is part of the reason but also cuts down on prep time, other required cooking pots/pans and clean up is quick. Also (unlike spring hunts) it will be getting dark sooner and most dinners will be in the dark.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well just in case you hve to do what i do...

I take the dregs of last years moose with me..and a bag of tater's

Quote Originally Posted by AKFred View Post
    Got a 12 day fly in coming up and trying to decide on meals for it. Got breakfast covered and lunch but looking for some ideas for dinner. I got 6 maybe 7 figured out but most frozen will be used up. Want to be eating moose by day 3 but do not want to depend on that. Any ideas appreciated.

thanks

How about a case or two of MREs?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

hey Chisana I need those!!!!! got extra? cant keep my kids out of them, heck thats al lthey WANT to eat out in the woods

Default Pasta Sides

We use a lot of Liptons Pasta Sides when we float hunt - light, cheap (on sale or store brands), lots of calories (something necessary), easy to propare, & easy cleanup.

Mnt house love it lasagna, chili mac. Deserts. Heater meals are cool too several varieties. Soup, tuna, chicken (canned or pouch).

Default Mountain House

You can never go wrong with mountain house. Lot of people don't like them because they want real food as some would say it. They are fast, light and the ones I've eaten tasted good.
    Last edited by tboehm; 08-22-2008 at 05:47. Reason: spelling

Lipton Pasta sides and similar....hard to beat and priced right.....add a bit of cooked meat...

another vote for mre's, can't beat those.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    hey Chisana I need those!!!!! got extra? cant keep my kids out of them, heck thats al lthey WANT to eat out in the woods
    I wish I had a few more cases on hand. If you can get them cheap I think MREs are a good choice where weight isn't a big issue. If nothing else they add a little variety and it is fun to swap MRE contents with your camp mates.

Only thing with Mtn House are the calories, you don't get a whole lot for what you eat. If weight isn't a huge issue, i'd pre-cook some meals and freeze it, stick it in a small cooler and it will stay frozen for a quite a while. I do this on my float hunts and it works great and my partner sure does appreciate it (hey Spano!). I do things like marinated chicken breast, pork chops, cowboy beans, hamburger patties, etc, etc. Sure is nice to have a hot meal with real food after a long day in the field.

If you are carrying it, mountain house meals work for me. If you aren't worried about weight and can keep things cold, there are many more options available to you. I would consider things that cook well over a fire. Potatoes, burgers, etc.

Ask any military guy his thoughts on MREs. If you like not pooping for a few days...then eat all the MREs you would like. I love Mt House. The only Mt House I refuse to eat is the chicken and rice. The chicken and rice taste like eating a spoonfull or margrine. Disgusting to say the least. Every other Mt. House meal is very good. Lasagna and mac & cheese being my favorite two. Cheese is it's own food group, right?

We take two cans of pringles for each day of hunting with four guys. Pringles make a nice meal also.

PB and J sandwiches are easy also.

Default MREs

AFHunter,

That is why MREs come with those 2 little pieces of gum I don't know if it's true that they are laxative gum, but suffice it to say, I always chew the gum and have never had the problem you refer to...

Besides MREs and Mtn House, which are both pretty expensive, I took a bunch of Ramen noodles along and they weren't too bad. A whole case of Ramen is the same price as 1 Mtn House. You might also look into the little tuna pouches, if you like tuna. A buddy of mine even takes normal blue box mac and cheese (in ziplocs, not the original box.)

Default meals not mre's

I had enough mre's in the military. When eating those things just drink gallons of water and you will be alright. The little lady suggested cooking then freeze, same as was suggested akhunter45. Weight may not be a big concern for the plane but I have to haul it to the river. 2 people on this fly in. Since we are floating the camp moves and we are not getting complicated. This is my partners first fly in so I want to keep it simple. Want to eat a little variety and make sure the intake is about the same as the output, losing weight is a good thing. Do not want to take cans but may for somethings. What do you guys take for veges the little woman is asking what are we going to for this. I told her real men do not eat veges that is why we are hunting, more meat. I just take the mount house and call it quits.

thanks

I did an 8 day float last year and took along real food while the others in my group brought Mtn House, needless to say they were a little bit envious. I did end up sharing a good portion of our food the last few days with the rest of the guys. Just bring along some frozen vegetables or add them to your meals before you freeze it. We also brough along the Lipton Noodle and rice mixes to go with the frozen meals, they are light and compact and don't take up any space. We even made scrambled eggs by taking a dozen or so eggs, adding a little bit of water, partially froze it then vacuum sealed it which is what I did with all my pre-cooked meals.

Default Some other thoughts

We make a dried product called fiesta coen. It makes a great addition to soups and adds veggies (corn, onion, sweet pepper). Anything dried is great in the field.

I take prunes with me - no refrigeration and definitely not the problem suggested with MREs.

We also take a 3 pound block of cheese - great for lunch or a snack. We never have any refrigeration problem with that either.

Smile

Was on the Rex for 6 days last year. Three of up had eggs,bacon and toast for breakfest, MRE'S for dinner, and then back at camp in the evening we had chicken noodle, chile, and spegt and meatballs. All had been pre made and frozen and then in gallon zip lock bags.MRE'S were the best. Going with them for most meals this year

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast